Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2015, 12:16 AM

4 posts, read 2,905 times

Advertisements

Hey all! Totally unfamiliar with New Jersey and moving in the next few months to basking ridge for work.
I currently live near irvine in Orange County, but am originally from outside Chicago. I'll be working right in basking ridge, and looking for a good place to rent - either a house or a condo with at least two bedrooms; looking around $1600-2100 a month.

It's me, my wife, a baby, and two medium dogs (<50 lbs) so no concern for schools yet. We are pretty active and like to go to forest preserves, hike, i do some distance running, etc. so preferably suburban or maybe rural?

I see a ton of places on realtor but have no clue about neighborhoods, safety, or the actual commute, so really need insight into a nice safe place to live, good for families, and not a horrible drive to work. Let me know if this is ridiculous too so I can better set my expectations.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 07:26 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Basking Ridge is a beautiful area with plenty of condos there and nearby Bedminster. You get the combo that evades so many here -- work located right by where you can live in a nice place and not have a tough commute. And you may be surprised at the rural feel to much of the area.

(the two dogs may limit some of your choices)

Old 10-30-2015, 08:14 AM

351 posts, read 482,494 times
Yeah if you can afford it, just live in Basking Ridge.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:18 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subflw47 View Post
Hey all! Totally unfamiliar with New Jersey and moving in the next few months to basking ridge for work.
I currently live near irvine in Orange County, but am originally from outside Chicago. I'll be working right in basking ridge, and looking for a good place to rent - either a house or a condo with at least two bedrooms; looking around $1600-2100 a month.

It's me, my wife, a baby, and two medium dogs (<50 lbs) so no concern for schools yet. We are pretty active and like to go to forest preserves, hike, i do some distance running, etc. so preferably suburban or maybe rural?

I see a ton of places on realtor but have no clue about neighborhoods, safety, or the actual commute, so really need insight into a nice safe place to live, good for families, and not a horrible drive to work. Let me know if this is ridiculous too so I can better set my expectations.

Thanks for the help!
Welcome to NJ! I agree with the previous posters who suggested to rent a place within Basking Ridge, or Bernards Twp, (Basking Ridge is an area within Bernards Twp). Traffic here in Northern and central NJ is bad, much like the traffic around the LA area, so living as close as possible to your work location is a really good thing. In some areas it can take 20+ minutes to travel ~5 miles during peak rush hour. There are a number of condo and townhome communities within Bernards Twp as well as in neighboring communities, (adjacent) such as Bedminister, Berkeley Hts, Mendham, New Providence etc. All of these are essentially bedroom communities, and are quite rural/suburban in nature. If you are wanting a more happening area, I'd suggest looking at Morristown, Madison, and Chatham. You'll find a lot of shopping, dining, and cultural activities. The good news is that all three of those towns are quite close to Basking Ridge, (under 10 miles.)

The one thing I will caution you about is that your housing budget is on the low side for housing in Northern NJ. You will find 2 bd condo/townhomes will run in the $1900 to $2500 per month range. SFH and 3+ bed room places will be more. (around 3k month and up)

The good news is that all of the above mentioned communities are great places to live and have good to top notch schools for when you child gets older. The schools in Basking Ridge (Bernards Twp,) Bernardsville, Mendham, Madison, and Chatham, are amongst the best in the state AND the country. The schools in the other towns I mentioned are all very good, so you really cannot go wrong, it's like choosing between a Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari, or a Lamborghini.

HTH

KoalaNJ

Old 10-31-2015, 12:03 PM

4 posts, read 2,905 times
Thanks so much for the info! Now to buy a winter jacket :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey