Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 07:33 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If the military was going to prosecute him under some sort of federal statute (assuming that there is a federal statute relating to drunk driving--which I doubt), why would they bring local police into the situation?
This happens all the time up at the Water Gap. There's a private campground that allows alcohol (Bear Creek) as well as a restaurant and bar (Walpack Inn) all located within the Gap, which is patrolled by National Park Rangers and National Park Police. They might make the initial stop and arrest, but it gets handed over to the local jurisdiction after that. Your buddy may be a big dummy, but he's not going to ADX Florence over this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 08:24 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thOfNovemner View Post
His blood alcohol level was more then 3 times legal limits.
Idiots like this don't belong on the roads, period. Hope he gets a long prison sentence.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:04 AM

527 posts, read 1,408,859 times
You say his BAL was 3x legal limit.
Who gave him the test? local or federals?

It is somewhat common for feds to give out DUI tickets. federal parks, camp grounds, military bases etc.
But you go by federal DUI laws and go to federal court. not local court

Did he get a ticket? from who? local or federal?

I would look at the ticket very carefully.
If feds did nothing but give to local guys, he could fight it in local court
If feds gave ticket, he should go to federal court, local court has no jurisdiction

Old 11-23-2015, 09:55 AM

684 posts, read 713,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater1 View Post
You say his BAL was 3x legal limit.
Who gave him the test? local or federals?

It is somewhat common for feds to give out DUI tickets. federal parks, camp grounds, military bases etc.
But you go by federal DUI laws and go to federal court. not local court

Did he get a ticket? from who? local or federal?

I would look at the ticket very carefully.
If feds did nothing but give to local guys, he could fight it in local court
If feds gave ticket, he should go to federal court, local court has no jurisdiction
I have found the federal statue:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/23/164

NJ Statue - you loose your driving privileges in NJ only, for at least 2 years.
Federal statues - You are loosing your driving privileges in USA for a period no less then 1 year.

In both cases you are going have-to get help with alcohol abuse, in both cases there is mandatory jail (fed - 5 days of jail minimum) State (48 hours of jail minimum).

I am thinking that he needs a good lawyer.

I have heard that federal incarceration facilities might be a little better then state, just rumors I guess.

In my opinion, his drinking habits are an attempt to self medicate, people his age see doctors regularly and he does not.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:26 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/23/164
That is not the Federal statute. That is a Federal law placing conditions on States to get Federal highway funding. For a military base DUI (by a civilian), the prosecution will be according to NJ laws but in Federal Court.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
That is not the Federal statute. That is a Federal law placing conditions on States to get Federal highway funding. For a military base DUI (by a civilian), the prosecution will be according to NJ laws but in Federal Court.
So you are saying that he will loose his license for 2 years in NJ only ? Or will he loose his license in US for 1 year ?

Old 11-23-2015, 03:01 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
So you are saying that he will loose his license for 2 years in NJ only ? Or will he loose his license in US for 1 year ?
Loss of drivers license is separate from the fines and jail time penalties imposed by the courts. It used to be that if you got a Federal traffic ticket, it didn't get reported to your DMV; the Feds are not members of the interstate agreements like the Drivers License Compact or the Nonresident Violators Compact. I don't know if that is still true. You'd have to ask a lawyer.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:02 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
he will loose his license for 2 years in NJ only ? Or will he loose his license in US for 1 year ?

If is license is currently loose, I strongly suggest that your inebriated friend should secure it much better within his wallet.
After all, if his license is loose, it is possible that he could lose it.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:08 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:

Is it this statue?

Old 11-23-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Loss of drivers license is separate from the fines and jail time penalties imposed by the courts. It used to be that if you got a Federal traffic ticket, it didn't get reported to your DMV; the Feds are not members of the interstate agreements like the Drivers License Compact or the Nonresident Violators Compact. I don't know if that is still true. You'd have to ask a lawyer.
I do not think he can survive for 2 years without a driver's license where he lives. That is why I am trying to figure where he will be relocating to. The link above says "a suspension of all driving privileges". This to me implies he is going to loose his license in USA, meaning he has to move some-were urban. If he is going to loose his license in NJ only, he can move to PA, he lives like 1 hour west from Allentown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey