Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 03:46 PM

166 posts, read 326,772 times

Advertisements

I believe those times b/c you are only going to 14th street. West side commutes from Jersey are great.

However I wonder do you stand all the way from Newark to 14th street or do you get a seat on the Path b/c standing for 30 mins on a rocky PATH and it does rock around isn't as fun as a one seat ride on a train or the bus.

I used to do the New Brunswick to Newark Path switch and I remember the mad dash to get a seat on the PATH b/c you are right the path is waiting right there across the Platform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 12:15 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,871,098 times
I generally stand the whole way, there aren't a lot of seats and since I'll be sitting all day I don't see the problem giving my spot up to women or the elderly. Standing from JSQ to 14th street is the only way to make sure you don't get stuck behind slow people on the stairs anyway.

The only reason I had been recording the times is for tdstyles who was interested in actual times instead of the published schedules, as their relative was thinking of moving to Cranford and works around 14th street.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:10 AM

78 posts, read 83,873 times
Old thread but in case anyone is still interested in the commute from the Cranford Ave I did want to update:

Morning
walk to the bus stop is under 10 minutes
Bus in the morning is about 50 minutes to Port Authority
From there it depends on where you work

Evenings
Bus from port authority takes about 35 minutes to Cranford
less than 10 minutes walk home

A lot of this I guess depends on where you live in town and when you commute. Hubby never goes home during rush hour, I suspect it's much longer due to traffic. I sometimes need to dip into the city in the afternoon or for dinner and it's a 10 minute walk to the train about about 40 minutes if you get the direct train. If not the train can take up to an hour depending on if you transfer to another train or the path. Path is always faster.

Anyway, we think the commute is stellar, but it's all relative. We use to live in middle of jersey nowhere and the commute there was something right out of Dante's Inferno.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:04 AM

482 posts, read 729,489 times
Chiming in from North Glen Ridge/Montclair. We have tried every possible combination. Here are true numbers and our reccs

About 1 hr 20 to 1 hr 30 in the morning. 1 hr at night if bus. I buy 10 packs and do train in the morning bus at night

Morning

Him. Attempting to get to midtown close to 9am. 1 hr 30
Decamp
Leave at 7 am. Walk 10 min to bus
Wait 5 minutes
Bus is 50 to 55 min
Walk from port authority

Bus becomes well over an hour if you get on it any later than this. Unless you lake a bus before 7am I highly do not recommend this. The Decamp schedule of 35 minute bus is a LIE. This double if you leave after 730. Now taking train in morning. Bus at night

Train
Leave 720-725
Walk a few minutes and take a 10 minute jitney
Wait a few minutes for train from GR
40 minute train is at least 5 minutes late on arrival. Sometimes 10 minutes
Surface out of penn around 830. Walk or subway from there.

Her. Attempting to get downtown Wall Street. 1 hr 30
Few minute walk to jitney
10 minute jitney. Wait a few minutes for train. 30 minute train to Hoboken. More like 35
Few minute transfer to ferry
15 minute ferry
Walk to work from south ferry station

Note. The PATH is a better option if you work west side downtown only. Otherwise ferry is best. It is expensive though. Monthly ferry is more than monthly rain to Hoboken. So figure around $400/mo. total. But no monthly subway needed. No parking etc. she tried the subway from penn. it's about the same total door to door but way more stressful. Hoboken terminal and ferry views compared to homeless people in penn and jammed subways.

Evening

Him. Walk to PA. Takes 730 to 900pm bus. 30 minutes exactly. Walk a few minute. 55 min total door to door. Jitney cuts off at 7ish. So pigeon holed to bus. Or a long hike to Walnut station if by train.

Her. Same as the morning. Train is a few minutes quicker than the morning. 1 hr 20

Last edited by JaRuss01; 09-18-2016 at 06:17 AM..

Old 09-19-2016, 07:34 AM

8 posts, read 6,947 times
I have to agree that Cranford is an AMAZING town that checks off all your boxes! The downtown is thriving with so many great restaurants and shops and an artsy vibe. There is also nice green space in Cranford with several beautiful parks, and the oldest continuously operating farm in the county (Dreyer Farms), so the town really has a bit of everything. The schools are excellent at both the elementary and high school level. NJ Transit train is in town, and although there are only a couple of direct trains to NYC right now, that will change in the future, and the bus is available and makes for a fast commute. I've raised my own three boys in Cranford (one is currently attending Georgetown University), having moved years ago from Staten Island, and I can tell you we are never leaving! You can definitely find a great home in your price range. I'm a realtor with Caldwell Banker, let me know if you'd ever like to take a look in and around Cranford--I think you'll fall in love with it. --Sharon

Old 09-19-2016, 09:44 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Cranford is nice but get ready for property tax shock. Avg here is $9-13k, my co-worker lives in Cranford and is paying $13k and next year it's most likely going up by $500-700. Do the math, in 5 years of ownership the taxes will be $500x 5 = $2500 minimum increase. You're looking at $14.5k.

I would look more outskirts of Cranford or Clark, including Kenilsworth area near Kean University taxes are $8-11k.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:45 AM

229 posts, read 251,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Cranford is nice but get ready for property tax shock. Avg here is $9-13k, my co-worker lives in Cranford and is paying $13k and next year it's most likely going up by $500-700. Do the math, in 5 years of ownership the taxes will be $500x 5 = $2500 minimum increase. You're looking at $14.5k.

I would look more outskirts of Cranford or Clark, including Kenilsworth area near Kean University taxes are $8-11k.
You think $9-13k is a lot? There are many people in Bergen and Essex counties who would be thrilled to only pay that in property taxes.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

How odd, I pay around 6K. So it really depends on the house. When we looked at similar homes in Essex it would have been around 9K.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:11 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
How odd, I pay around 6K. So it really depends on the house. When we looked at similar homes in Essex it would have been around 9K.
These are recent assessment for Clark in Union county. 6k would be below market but don't tell your assessors about that.

I live in Union and my prop tax is only $8k and my commute to NYC is 40mins but because Raritan valley line can be a pain sometimes you need the perfect timing or schedule. I can never get into work at 9am, due to terrible NYTransit train schedules, you either get in super early or at 9:30

Old 09-20-2016, 01:57 PM

They should move to Cranford then. I've spoken with the tax assessor, it's not below market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey