Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 08:34 AM

860 posts, read 1,337,715 times

Advertisements

I'm stuck in Piscataway where they don't plow the neighborhood streets at all. I'm definitely looking to leave (for more than this, of course), but where?

If you live in a town in Central NJ that actually takes care of the neighborhood streets, where do you live? I know West Windsor does, but I'm not at that level of income yet.

Thanks and hope everyone is staying warm and safe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 08:55 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,410 times
The day after a record setting blizzard you expect all the streets to be cleared off? You think maybe they are talking care of the major roads first? Then they have to find a place to drop the snow. Then tow the cars that those who abandoned on the streets of failed to mnove from snow routes to another location so the plows can get by.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
The day after a record setting blizzard you expect all the streets to be cleared off? You think maybe they are talking care of the major roads first? Then they have to find a place to drop the snow. Then tow the cars that those who abandoned on the streets of failed to mnove from snow routes to another location so the plows can get by.
Every main street in the area has been plowed, but they haven't made any attempt with the neighborhood streets. Literally they skip them and make no attempt to clear them. Do you have any constructive input on the actual question?

Old 01-24-2016, 09:28 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
The day after a record setting blizzard you expect all the streets to be cleared off?
All the streets in my township have been plowed, even the tiny, dead end road I live on (my house is the only house on the road). Dry pavement. I'm in West Windsor. It's a large township, also.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:51 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
West Windsor is usually very good, this storm they cleared the residendial streets exceptionally quickly and efficiently!

I have been impressed with Robbinsville over the years their mayor, David Fried, is very responsive to his constituents and they keep a pretty up to date news letter.
DPW: Plowing & Salting Information - Notices & Alerts - Robbinsville Township

I have worked in Hamilton Township (Mercer Co.) for the past 15 years. Snow removal there is abysmal. My office is on a residential street with an elementary school. In their defense the township is huge so the job is somewhat daunting.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:00 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
Every main street in the area has been plowed, but they haven't made any attempt with the neighborhood streets. Literally they skip them and make no attempt to clear them.

Perhaps by today all of the major streets in Piscataway have been cleared, but I can tell you that last night--at ~11:00 PM-- streets as "major" as Centennial Avenue and Possumtown Road were still close to impassable, and that was several hours after the snow stopped falling. I had no choice about driving on those roads, as I had to come to the assistance of a friend who had locked himself out of his house.

From what I observed, even multi-lane roads in Piscataway saw plows only once or perhaps twice during the storm, and perhaps not for many hours after the storm ended.

I can tell you from experience that Franklin Township is pretty darn good about clearing its roads, and the road department of Somerset County is excellent. I have found over the years that--overall--Middlesex County and most of its communities are sub-par when it comes to snow removal.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:09 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
All the streets in my township have been plowed, even the tiny, dead end road I live on (my house is the only house on the road). Dry pavement. I'm in West Windsor. It's a large township, also.
So have the streets in mine, but then again, we only have three streets in the whole township!

Old 01-24-2016, 10:32 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
I'm stuck in Piscataway where they don't plow the neighborhood streets at all. I'm definitely looking to leave (for more than this, of course), but where?

If you live in a town in Central NJ that actually takes care of the neighborhood streets, where do you live? I know West Windsor does, but I'm not at that level of income yet.

Thanks and hope everyone is staying warm and safe!

If you want to find out which streets get plowed first. Find out where the Mayor, Police chief and any of the town council members live. Those streets are always plowed first.

Not just Piscataway but every town.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:52 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,978,149 times
Quote:
There really is no answer to this. Every town is different, every storm is different, and the speed of response depends on a huge number of factors such as:
  • How much snow there was
  • When it stopped
  • How cold it is/was
  • What the snow removal budget is
  • How much manpower/what type of equipment the town has
  • The size of the town
  • Whether most of the roads actually maintained by the town, the state, or the county
  • How many idiots are in the way of the plow trucks

Quote:
Every main street in the area has been plowed, but they haven't made any attempt with the neighborhood streets. Literally they skip them and make no attempt to clear them. Do you have any constructive input on the actual question?
You do realize that the main roads are likely county roads and your town DPW isn't plowing them at all, the county is, right? If you had a 4WD with proper winter tires (and knew how to use them) you could live anywhere and it wouldn't matter if or when the streets were plowed.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
There really is no answer to this. Every town is different, every storm is different, and the speed of response depends on a huge number of factors such as:
  • How much snow there was
  • When it stopped
  • How cold it is/was
  • What the snow removal budget is
  • How much manpower/what type of equipment the town has
  • The size of the town
  • Whether most of the roads actually maintained by the town, the state, or the county
  • How many idiots are in the way of the plow trucks

You do realize that the main roads are likely county roads and your town DPW isn't plowing them at all, the county is, right? If you had a 4WD with proper winter tires (and knew how to use them) you could live anywhere and it wouldn't matter if or when the streets were plowed.
The argument that the county is plowing the main roads actually works against the town. Not having to deal with those roads should free them up to take care of the residential streets. I still have yet to see a plow on my street. Bottom line is I pay taxes for the town to take care of the roads. Right now the only person getting out of our neighborhood has a pickup truck jacked up on monster truck type tires. Average height SUVs are too low to the ground to move throug the snow 4WD or not. It's at least 2 feet high.

If Piscataway wants to let their residents down, fine. I am looking for information about towns that don't have that reputation so I can better inform my move and improve my situation.

Last edited by Kiru; 01-24-2016 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: Typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey