Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 11:04 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times

Advertisements

Main roads in my town are totally fine. Most streets off the main sections within neighborhoods are okay. I have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited so we put it in 4WD and it was fine on roads that are in worse shape. I don't think there are many streets that are completely unplowed, but most streets that aren't main roads are passable.

Schools are already closed tomorrow though in my town. I live near a school and as of two hours ago they haven't even started to plow the parking lots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 11:10 AM

860 posts, read 1,338,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Main roads in my town are totally fine. Most streets off the main sections within neighborhoods are okay. I have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited so we put it in 4WD and it was fine on roads that are in worse shape. I don't think there are many streets that are completely unplowed, but most streets that aren't main roads are passable.

Schools are already closed tomorrow though in my town. I live near a school and as of two hours ago they haven't even started to plow the parking lots.
Sounds like heaven to me. Do you mind giving your town or general area? I don't mind snow on the road that has been plowed and is passable but my road is 100% unplowed. Nothing at all has been done.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:22 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
The argument that the county is plowing the main roads actually works against the town. Not having to deal with those roads should free them up to take care of the residential streets. I still have yet to see a plow on my street. Bottom line is I pay taxes for the town to take care of the roads. Right now the only person getting out of our neighborhood has a pickup truck jacked up on monster truck type tires. Average height SUVs are too low to the ground to move throug the snow 4WD or not. It's at least 2 feet high.

If Piscataway wants to let their residents down, fine. I am looking for information about towns that don't have that reputation so I can better inform my move and improve my situation.
My point was that a town that got their streets plowed lickety split this time might totally crap the bed next time for any number of reasons. Therefore it's a silly thing to base something as important as where to move on. Futhermore, you hardly need "monster truck" tires and a "jacked up" truck to get around in this..

Old 01-24-2016, 11:41 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Sounds like heaven to me. Do you mind giving your town or general area? I don't mind snow on the road that has been plowed and is passable but my road is 100% unplowed. Nothing at all has been done.
I live in Cranford.

I wouldn't be surprised if some roads here haven't been touched because we do have some dead ends that are often neglected but for the most part, things seem fine.

I have seen storms with much less snow, though, where Cranford doesn't even plow the main roads. I remember one storm last year probably didn't even dump a foot, but I was driving down a main road that crosses multiple towns all the way through Elizabeth and there was a good 3 inches on the ground that I had to drive through because they hadn't started plowing yet. Cranford is usually pretty good but sometimes can be neglectful.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
My point was that a town that got their streets plowed lickety split this time might totally crap the bed next time for any number of reasons. Therefore it's a silly thing to base something as important as where to move on. Futhermore, you hardly need "monster truck" tires and a "jacked up" truck to get around in this..
You do on this street since it hasn't been plowed at all. Plus, for my family, it is important that the town we live in can clear the streets in a snowstorm because my husband has just recently become a State emergency worker, with the whole "Authorized Person" card, and has to report to work, including weekends. It's not just my street; there was a member of the Rescue Squad stuck in his driveway and unable to report to a call because of Piscataway's poor snow plowing. So yes, for some people, having a well maintained infrastructure is important.

Please tell me what town you live in because I'd love to live in one where I don't need that pickup truck with monster tires. Thanks!

Old 01-24-2016, 12:11 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Quote:
You do on this street since it hasn't been plowed at all. Plus, for my family, it is important that the town we live in can clear the streets in a snowstorm because my husband has just recently become a State emergency worker, with the whole "Authorized Person" card, and has to report to work, including weekends.
I don't know what your husband does, but if he is a "State emergency worker" and has to report to work during travel bans/states of emergency, he should have adequate transportation or find another job.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:14 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Well, I've lived in West Windsor for 19 years and the township has always been prompt in clearing snow from the roads.

Yes, one would need a vehicle that sits much higher off the ground to drive around in snow that is 2 to 3 feet high. Are you suggesting that a sedan would be able to get through that amount of snow?

Ha ha! Are you in Florida or something?

Old 01-24-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I don't know what your husband does, but if he is a "State emergency worker" and has to report to work during travel bans/states of emergency, he should have adequate transportation or find another job.
Right... because towns shouldn't be held to any kind of basic standard even though they collect tax dollars... In any case, all I want to know is about towns that generally do a good job, i.e. what I asked in my original post. Piscataway has never done a good job, however since he was not required to report at his former jobs, it wasn't a huge issue. Now that it is, I am trying to gather information. If you can't supply any, I don't know why you're wasting your time on this thread, however amusing you may be to me.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:30 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
The day after a record setting blizzard you expect all the streets to be cleared off? You think maybe they are talking care of the major roads first? Then they have to find a place to drop the snow. Then tow the cars that those who abandoned on the streets of failed to mnove from snow routes to another location so the plows can get by.
West Orange managed.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:46 PM

223 posts, read 321,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
The day after a record setting blizzard you expect all the streets to be cleared off? You think maybe they are talking care of the major roads first? Then they have to find a place to drop the snow. Then tow the cars that those who abandoned on the streets of failed to mnove from snow routes to another location so the plows can get by.
What an asinine comment. I live in Lawrence Twp, Mercer County, and we had trucks plowing our street on Saturday morning AND Saturday evening at around 5 o'clock. More plows came by this morning & we were down to bare pavement in some parts. They do a pretty good job getting curb to curb, except in the cases where people park on the street like my neighbors across the street. Note: I live in a development, not a main road, and we still got great service!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
I have worked in Hamilton Township (Mercer Co.) for the past 15 years. Snow removal there is abysmal. My office is on a residential street with an elementary school. In their defense the township is huge so the job is somewhat daunting.
I grew up in Hamilton and we lived there for a few years before buying our house in Lawrence. You're right, the plowing in Hamilton is HORRIBLE. It was one of the many, many, MANY reasons we chose not to buy in that Township (aside from crappy schools, poor road infrastructure, terrible congestion & overcrowding, the list goes on...). We even lived on a heavily traveled "short cut" road!

OP: As I said, I live in Lawrence. The plowing here is very good from what I have seen over the last year. It looks like our Public Works guys are the ones who do all the work and they don't contract it out, but I could be wrong. So far, I am very satisfied with how well my township handles snow removal in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey