Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 06:55 AM

516 posts, read 1,005,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
India Square ends abruptly at Tonnele Ave. West of Tonnele, Newark Ave is more industrial in character.
Exactly what lammius said. Go on google maps street view and play around, you'll see what I mean. It becomes abandoned warehouses real fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 07:00 AM

Also want to add, I finally got a chance to look at your google maps and you're not quite right on your calculations. The locals know the shortcuts :P and on Sip Ave, there is a bus entrance to the PATH station (since JSQ is also a bus hub). If you zoom in on the map on Sip Ave between JFK and Summit, you can see there is a path that runs ro the right of the building labeled Hudson County Community College? That means that Kennedy Lofts and 151 Sip are only one block away from the station.

Not sure if you care, but I had a coworker who lived at 57 Sip, making him across the street from the shortcut, and he loved it how close he was in the winter.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:20 PM

10 posts, read 14,088 times
Quote:
India Square ends abruptly at Tonnele Ave. West of Tonnele, Newark Ave is more industrial in character.
Thanks for explaining that.

Quote:
The apartment buildings listed above all seem very nice. None of them include parking. You'll have to pay extra for that, usually $150-250/month. There are a few parking decks by the PATH station that offer monthly parking in that price range. Once you change your drivers license and car registration to your JC address, you can buy an annual parking permit that allows you to park on the street in your designated parking zone. The price is $15 for the year but the real cost will be time spent looking for a place to park.
Actually, online description lists these apartment building having parking. Will call each one of them this Friday and update.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiggleWiggle View Post
Also want to add, I finally got a chance to look at your google maps and you're not quite right on your calculations. The locals know the shortcuts :P and on Sip Ave, there is a bus entrance to the PATH station (since JSQ is also a bus hub). If you zoom in on the map on Sip Ave between JFK and Summit, you can see there is a path that runs ro the right of the building labeled Hudson County Community College? That means that Kennedy Lofts and 151 Sip are only one block away from the station.

Not sure if you care, but I had a coworker who lived at 57 Sip, making him across the street from the shortcut, and he loved it how close he was in the winter.
Thanks for that sharing the local expertise :-) It may indeed matter!

Old 02-01-2016, 09:41 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdkgupta View Post
Thanks for explaining that.

Actually, online description lists these apartment building having parking. Will call each one of them this Friday and update.
Some of them may have parking, but it's not included in the rent. You'll have to pay extra for it. Many people in Jersey City do not own cars, so parking is usually not included in the rent price. If it's available, it's for an extra fee. Usually that's an extra $150-250 per month. Some buildings downtown charge over $300/month for parking.

151 Sip does not have parking and the Kennedy Lofts website doesn't list parking as a building amenity: Building Amenities | Kennedy Lofts

I haven't checked the others, but be sure to ask when you call. And again "parking available" means "parking costs extra."

Old 02-01-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Some of them may have parking, but it's not included in the rent. You'll have to pay extra for it. Many people in Jersey City do not own cars, so parking is usually not included in the rent price. If it's available, it's for an extra fee. Usually that's an extra $150-250 per month. Some buildings downtown charge over $300/month for parking.

151 Sip does not have parking and the Kennedy Lofts website doesn't list parking as a building amenity: Building Amenities | Kennedy Lofts

I haven't checked the others, but be sure to ask when you call. And again "parking available" means "parking costs extra."
Thanks for being so detailed lammius.

Can you please suggest few other potential apartment buildings similar to what I am looking for? Thanks a lot in advance.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:03 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
I'd take a look at State Square Apartments. It's right across the street from the JSQ PATH station, has central AC and garage parking. I don't know how much the rent prices are now. A few years ago a friend of mine rented a one bedroom apartment there for something like $1400. I'm sure the rent is higher now.

You could look at a few condo buildings such as Canco Lofts, the Beacon, or m650. They all have central air and I think they all have parking. But being condo buildings, you'll have to find owners of individual units who are looking to rent them out. There are advantages and disadvantages to that kind of arrangement, of course. Also, all of those buildings are 10-15 minute walks from JSQ. Kinda far, but if you drive or enjoy the walking, it's not so bad.

Closer to JSQ most buildings are old, so it's hard to find central air. It's hard to find parking. It's really hard to find both.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:07 AM

Quote:
I'd take a look at State Square Apartments. It's right across the street from the JSQ PATH station, has central AC and garage parking. I don't know how much the rent prices are now. A few years ago a friend of mine rented a one bedroom apartment there for something like $1400. I'm sure the rent is higher now.

You could look at a few condo buildings such as Canco Lofts, the Beacon, or m650. They all have central air and I think they all have parking. But being condo buildings, you'll have to find owners of individual units who are looking to rent them out. There are advantages and disadvantages to that kind of arrangement, of course. Also, all of those buildings are 10-15 minute walks from JSQ. Kinda far, but if you drive or enjoy the walking, it's not so bad.

Closer to JSQ most buildings are old, so it's hard to find central air. It's hard to find parking. It's really hard to find both.
Thanks a lot lammius. State Square looks good (though it may be difficult to get). Also, found out about 55 Skillman Ave apartment building.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot lammius. State Square looks good (though it may be difficult to get). Also, found out about 55 Skillman Ave apartment building.
State Square has insane wait lists. But lovely apartments and fantastic pricing. I don't think they have central air though, I believe it's the electric window units, like Newport apartments. Do you absolutely need central air? It's pretty hard to find in Jersey City...

Old 06-15-2016, 01:37 AM

4 posts, read 3,691 times
Quote:
Hello,

I am moving to NYC/NJ area for 2 year fellowship at Columbia.

We are a family of 3, myself, wife and a 3 month old baby girl :-)

Looking for a 1 to 2 BR apt for $1400 to $2200 near path station. To me, Journal Square Station seems the best choice.

Apt will need to have:
- Parking
- Central air conditioning

What are some places to rent with above in mind? Few I found:

1. Kennedy Lofts
- looks good on website ([url=http://kennedylofts.com/residences/[/url])
- 0.3 mile walk to station (https://goo.gl/maps/nbW4wUhefEF2)

2. 25 Senate Place
- looks good on website ([url=http://25senateplace.com/luxury-apartment-rentals/[/url])
- 0.5 mile walk to station (https://goo.gl/maps/SHfQbK9HkaL2)

3. St. John's Apartment
- read lot of bad reviews (http://bit.ly/1PXb6Nb)
- 0.4 mile walk to station (http://bit.ly/1KekkrK)

My family will greatly appreciate if you may please take some time in advising us.

Thanks.
Hi,

I am looking for an apartment exactly same area where you looked for. I am wondering if you chose one of your options and how you find the place so far? If you can share your experience, that would help me tons.
Thanks! Have a great day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey