Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 09:51 AM

52 posts, read 85,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asma72 View Post
Thank you everyone. We have expanded our search to Edison.
You're saying "diverse" when you really mean more people "like you" or really NON-WHITE...You will feel right at home in Edison. You're in America...try Cultural assimilation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 09:43 PM

15 posts, read 40,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdiddy761 View Post
You're saying "diverse" when you really mean more people "like you" or really NON-WHITE...You will feel right at home in Edison. You're in America...try Cultural assimilation
With due respect, the OP, being Indian, must be fully aware of the fact that they would find an entire Indian community in Edison.

Yet, she is looking in neighborhoods like Westfield. The reason behind that is a desire to assimilate. Yet, as a parent, you don't want your child to be the only one from a race/ethnicity.
It is hard to strike a balance between drive to assimilate and need to protect one's children from being hurt by stray comments (or even bullying)

Saying " you will feel right at home in edison" infact validates someone's natural fear of being the odd-person out.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:57 PM

4 posts, read 15,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyred2016 View Post
With due respect, the OP, being Indian, must be fully aware of the fact that they would find an entire Indian community in Edison.

Yet, she is looking in neighborhoods like Westfield. The reason behind that is a desire to assimilate. Yet, as a parent, you don't want your child to be the only one from a race/ethnicity.
It is hard to strike a balance between drive to assimilate and need to protect one's children from being hurt by stray comments (or even bullying)

Saying " you will feel right at home in edison" infact validates someone's natural fear of being the odd-person out.

Thank you rubyred2016 for speaking out my mind. There are many like me, not just Indians, but nationals of other countries too who have chosen to make US their home and want to strike the right balance between assimilating into the American culture and also keeping our kids somewhat rooted to their family values.

We liked everything about Westfield and also the perfect house! Like Ihad mentioned, we are not hell bent on having a sizeable Indian population in particular. We are looking for diversity which includes some Indians too. Also, like all other NJ towns, I assume that in the next 6-8 years Westfield should attract much more diversity that present, right?

Old 03-18-2016, 02:27 PM

28 posts, read 49,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asma72 View Post
Thank you rubyred2016 for speaking out my mind. There are many like me, not just Indians, but nationals of other countries too who have chosen to make US their home and want to strike the right balance between assimilating into the American culture and also keeping our kids somewhat rooted to their family values.

We liked everything about Westfield and also the perfect house! Like Ihad mentioned, we are not hell bent on having a sizeable Indian population in particular. We are looking for diversity which includes some Indians too. Also, like all other NJ towns, I assume that in the next 6-8 years Westfield should attract much more diversity that present, right?
I'm highly unsure whether Westfield would change in the coming years and attract more diversity. Westfield has not been and might not be the choice to settle down for Indians especially due to lack of diversity and the place being expensive.

Currently more Indians are buying homes in these areas of Central Jersey - Edison, Woodbridge, South Brunswick, East Brunswick, Plainsboro, West Windsor, Piscataway, Bridgewater, Hillsborough. Muslims in particular are more interested in South Brunswick, Piscataway and Spotswood/East Brunswick due to Islamic schools and places of worship.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:47 AM

Asma, do let me know how it goes. We are still looking. Also found perfect house in Westfield, but had to let it go. Takes some practice to figure out the right offer/terms for any neighborhood. In the process of "almost having the house", I went on a whirlwind tour of the elementary school and spoke to teachers/office staff. Very welcoming and friendly. I loved the very active feel of the town. All school kids were walking, jogging. No school buses. Felt like a natural setting. Note - have to figure in cost of YMCA after care as the schools don't have aftercare of their own.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:21 AM

255 posts, read 455,725 times
There's nothing more overrated for a suburban family than being able to walk to some kind of "downtown." Nothing.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:09 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,773,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyred2016 View Post
Asma, do let me know how it goes. We are still looking. Also found perfect house in Westfield, but had to let it go. Takes some practice to figure out the right offer/terms for any neighborhood. In the process of "almost having the house", I went on a whirlwind tour of the elementary school and spoke to teachers/office staff. Very welcoming and friendly. I loved the very active feel of the town. All school kids were walking, jogging. No school buses. Felt like a natural setting. Note - have to figure in cost of YMCA after care as the schools don't have aftercare of their own.
"had to let it go", come on, you were outbid. It happens to all of us (we lost 5 houses). I know 2 families that just moved in town (from Westfield to Westfield, it happens alot). The houses they bought, and the ones they sold were all under contract the weekend they hit the market. IT IS CRAZY RIGHT NOW.

BTW, the Y runs the aftercare, but in all but 1 of the grade schools the aftercare is at the kid's school (the exception being Franklin).

Old 03-24-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJpoliticiansarecrooks View Post
There's nothing more overrated for a suburban family than being able to walk to some kind of "downtown." Nothing.
until your kids are old enough to walk there on their own. They love it, but it only lasts a few years

Old 03-24-2016, 11:11 AM

Wow, just checked. JP Stevens High School in Edison is now 70% Asian (guess almost all Indian)

Old 03-24-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
"had to let it go", come on, you were outbid. It happens to all of us (we lost 5 houses). I know 2 families that just moved in town (from Westfield to Westfield, it happens alot). The houses they bought, and the ones they sold were all under contract the weekend they hit the market. IT IS CRAZY RIGHT NOW.

BTW, the Y runs the aftercare, but in all but 1 of the grade schools the aftercare is at the kid's school (the exception being Franklin).
Sounds like you live in Westfield. So, I wonder if you can tell me - there are so many 50s and 60s homes on the Westfield market. There are also (super expensive) tear downs. What is the perception among people, regarding value of these 50s homes...say 10 years from now. They would be amidst much newer rebuilds.
On the one hand, we are learning how to offer. On the other hand, is it too much and its just better to walk away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey