Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 11:49 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn718 View Post
Unfortunately some places are worse than others, I used to travel a lot when I was younger and there are some areas I would never move too. I am just not ready for my daughter to be treated harshly on a daily basins because I know she isn't strong enough to deal with it. HS is a hard time for most and I don't want to make it any harder for her. Are there any other areas you would recommend in NJ. They must have good schools, she currently attends a good school and planned on going to another top school. She is a huge nerd and gets along with others who are similarly academically driven.
If she has a hard time it is because she is sensitive and quiet. All kids of that nature generally have a hard time in high school.

Has nothing to do with race.

doesn't help if the family perpetuates fear in the child.

It is astounding someone would ask if these two towns are racist. with that mindset you will certainly not be happy anywhere.

these towns are not ethnic enclaves as you might find in foreign lands where everyone is realted to everyone else and might all have the same attitude. this is NJ, the most ethnically diverse state in the union. Do you define a diverse community as an ethnic enclave?

Old 02-12-2016, 12:04 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
If she has a hard time it is because she is sensitive and quiet. All kids of that nature generally have a hard time in high school.

It is astounding someone would ask if these two towns are racist. with that mindset you will certainly not be happy anywhere.

these towns are not ethnic enclaves as you might find in foreign lands where everyone is realted to everyone else and might all have the same attitude. this is NJ, the most ethnically diverse state in the union. Do you define a diverse community as an ethnic enclave?
You may have to come from a certain place to understand the OPs concerns.

When my sister and I grew up, we lived in two towns and went to two school systems, one that was suburban, and fairly diverse and had a lot of Asians, and a second that was almost all white. In the first town, both of us had many Asian friends, and although we still heard racist things every now and then, we had backing. When we went to the second one, we got all kinds of stupid comments and questions about our ethnicity, mastery of the language (though it was clear we were born here) and etc and were kind of alone in defending ourselves. Some of it was malicious, some not.

In any case, my sister has kids and she has made the decision to raise her children in a neighborhood where there's a certain amount of Asians because she doesn't want them to go through difficulties. And parents want the best for their kids.

I would not want to raise my kids in Marlboro either, but for different reasons. I don't care about them getting made fun of, I just don't want my kids being exposed to only upper class, well to do white and Asian kids. But anyway, I'm weird and I don't have kids, which makes such hyperbole easy.

And I agree, racism is so much less now than when I was a kid, but its still nice to be around some of your own type. Kids can be cruel. I also agree it's useless to ask if a place is racist. There's racism everywhere. If you want to expose your kids to a certain demographic, then find one that fits, and then do that.

Last edited by jobaba; 02-12-2016 at 12:18 PM..

Old 02-12-2016, 01:23 PM

156 posts, read 165,671 times
I have lived in Manalapan for 5 years with my family and I can't say people here are racists. I have met wonderful Jewish. Italian and Indian families. I am sure your daughter will love going to school here.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:16 PM

28 posts, read 49,342 times
South Brunswick, East Brunswick, Edison,West Windsor, Plainsboro are towns with significant Muslim population. Schools are good in all these areas. You should move into one of these towns.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:00 PM

90 posts, read 145,360 times
Any place with a high threshold of Italians, expect poor schools, high taxes. They don't value education or private endeavor. I also grew up with many of them in HC, like NYC, they are the most racist group you will come across.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:04 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

realistically, no suburban community that is mostly white or white with asians is going to be happy to have a black girl in a hijab walking around. we all know that even if people dont want to say it. what we dont know is what kind of hostility someone would experience in these towns. id expect most people to not show hostility even though they may not prefer someone like that living in their community but some kids may say some offensive things.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:11 PM

538 posts, read 733,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
realistically, no suburban community that is mostly white or white with asians is going to be happy to have a black girl in a hijab walking around. we all know that even if people dont want to say it. what we dont know is what kind of hostility someone would experience in these towns. id expect most people to not show hostility even though they may not prefer someone like that living in their community but some kids may say some offensive things.
Yeah, I think some people probably have a different level of what it takes to consider a town 'racist'. Some I think are only going to consider an area racist if they have different water fountains and lynch people. Since that doesn't happen anywhere then we're magically not all racist.

To me, racist in this context is if you can expect a suitable amount of people in that town to say "what are them Muslims doing around here, this isn't their place" behind closed doors and on anonymous Internet bulletin boards. It would of course be much worse, and they'd probably put some form of a joke in there to give themselves some plausible deniability about just trying to be funny so they can just complain about people being too PC.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:07 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,077 times
All of NJ is not that way, but I would avoid that area.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:11 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadavan View Post
South Brunswick, East Brunswick, Edison,West Windsor, Plainsboro are towns with significant Muslim population. Schools are good in all these areas. You should move into one of these towns.

Better choices. I don't think you were considering Oakland, but I would totally avoid Oakland also.. It's in Bergan county but there is a strange Hillbilly element there.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:52 PM

11 posts, read 33,033 times
Thank you, we are now looking into the South Brunswick, East Brunswick, and Edison as those have the best school districts with a closer proximity to the city. We passed a town called Holmdel on the way to see houses in Manalapan before. Can anyone tell me about that town. We have decided to up our budget to $650,000 if it means our daughter will have an easier transition. Thank you all for your suggestions, I really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey