Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 05:53 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,826,303 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the long term capital gains tax rate for NJ? Is it the same rate as the regular income tax rate? I googled, but couldn't find a table for it.

I sold some stocks in 2015, and it triggered some long term capital gains. Note, this is state tax rate, not federal. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 11:04 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
I am aware of the federal rates (15% for most taxpayers, zero% for those with very low incomes, and 20% for the affluent), but I never gave much thought to NJ's tax rates for capital gains, simply because Turbo Tax carries everything over to my NJ return, with no input on my part.

The one thing that REALLY matters in a negative sense is that NJ doesn't allow you to deduct capital losses from your capital gains, and that can make a substantial difference in your NJ tax liability. In years when my capital gains are particularly good, I make sure that I can also claim some capital losses to offset the federal tax hit, but those capital losses have no effect on my capital gains on the NJ 1040--and that really hurts.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:08 PM

527 posts, read 1,407,951 times
According to the NJ income tax web site.
Capital losses can be used to offset Capital gains.
But if you have net losses, you cannot substrate your losses from income
Losses can only reduce gains,

From the web site ...
Capital gains and losses must be reported in the year they are realized. Gains from installment sales must be reported in the same year that you report them on your Federal return. New Jersey does not differentiate between short-term and long-term capital gains.

Losses from the sale or exchange of property may only be used to offset gains from other sales or exchanges of property in the same tax year. New Jersey law makes no distinction between active and passive losses, nor does it allow you to carry losses forward or back to other tax years. Federal passive losses may be deducted in full in the year incurred from any gain in the same category of income, provided the gain occurred within the same year.

Your net gain or loss is determined on Schedule B by subtracting total losses from total capital gains. If this amount is zero or less, make no entry on the line for "Net Gains or Income From Disposition of Property" on your New Jersey income tax return.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:19 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,313,759 times
Default New Jersey Income Tax Treatment of "Capital Gains"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
Does anyone know the long term capital gains tax rate for NJ? Is it the same rate as the regular income tax rate? I googled, but couldn't find a table for it.
I sold some stocks in 2015, and it triggered some long term capital gains. Note, this is state tax rate, not federal. Thanks.
Unlike federal income tax, there is no lowered tax-preferenced NJ rate for long-term capital gains. Net capital gains are taxed just like other taxable income on your NJ-1040. Hence, your marginal tax rate on your capital gain is that rate atop the rate on your other income.

Capital gains may be offset by capital losses incurred within the same year — regardless of holding period. But capital losses can be used to offset only capital gains. Have losses and no gains? Too bad, they evaporate! New Jersey has no carryover provision for capital losses.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:22 PM

4,154 posts, read 4,170,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Unlike federal income tax, there is no lowered tax-preferenced NJ rate for long-term capital gains. Net capital gains are taxed just like other taxable income on your NJ-1040. (Capital gains may be offset by capital losses — regardless of holding period.)

Capital losses can be used to offset only capital gains. Have losses and no gains? Too bad, they evaporate! New Jersey has no carryover provision for capital losses.
Maverick is absolutely correct. One more reason to hate the NJ government.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:13 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,826,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Unlike federal income tax, there is no lowered tax-preferenced NJ rate for long-term capital gains. Net capital gains are taxed just like other taxable income on your NJ-1040. Hence, your marginal tax rate on your capital gain is that rate atop the rate on your other income.

Capital gains may be offset by capital losses incurred within the same year — regardless of holding period. But capital losses can be used to offset only capital gains. Have losses and no gains? Too bad, they evaporate! New Jersey has no carryover provision for capital losses.
I think you are correct. If possible, it's best to move to a no "state income tax" state before triggering the large capital gains, but i needed the money.

State income tax isn't a small potato, it's 9% for gains over $500k.

If my math is correct: $500k - 20% (long term gains rate) - (3.8%) Obama care - NJ State income tax = $370k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey