Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 07:41 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,324,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
I'm really hesitant on South Orange due to the college. I'm worried the nice apartment complexes will be overrun with loud college kids.
Not a college town. Those apts near the train too expensive for college kids. You should check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 06:28 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
Not a college town. Those apts near the train too expensive for college kids. You should check it out.
I agree. Those apts are way too expensive for college students. THe students will be living up closer to the school.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:51 PM

3 posts, read 4,806 times
What did you decide on? I'm debating Morristown or New Brunswick

Old 04-06-2016, 10:09 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
South Brunswick is better. More college town feel and a lot more younger people around.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:48 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,223,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplantres View Post
What did you decide on? I'm debating Morristown or New Brunswick
Still haven't decided. Back to thinking about Jersey City.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:52 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Quote:
If you're in the your 30s then I would definitely recommend Jersey City over New Brunswick. I lived in New Brunswick until my late 20s and by that time the college scene started to get annoying.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:15 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,737 times
Quote:
If you can swing it money wise Jersey City is an awesome places to live.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:21 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,324,539 times
Quote:
If you can swing the cost, JC is the way to go. I like it a lot. Been here four years since moving from MoTown.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:13 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,291,483 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Former Manhattan-ite, current Queens resident here, looking to escape the city's high taxes, high rental prices, and lack of green space and apartment amenities. I'm in the market for a reasonably fun town in the area that is less than an hour from the city, preferably has a walkable downtown, and decent singles population. I'm planning to move into a luxury apartment in whatever town this is - fitness center, pool, etc. which will be amazing considering the plain 1-bedrooms I can afford in the city.

So far it seems like Montclair is a good bet, but I'm also curious about South Orange and Rutherford, and any other towns that might fit?

By the way, I was looking at Hoboken and JC at first, but the luxury apartments are $2,500+ which I don't really want to pay. I'd rather pay closer to $2,000 on rent and get myself a car so I can get out to the beach and hiking/biking on the weekends.

Thanks.
I would look into the following: Fort Lee, Edgewater, Ridgewood, Mahwah, Englewood, Montclair, and Rutherford.

They all have what you need/want, to some extent, plus, minus, etc. For example, Mahwah doesn't have a walkable downtown per se, but it has plenty of shopping, and Ramsey does have it. That said, neither is as big a "singles" town as Fort Lee and Edgewater. Look through all of them, and start to prioritize which has what. Good luck.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:39 AM

12 posts, read 18,265 times
Anything along River Road in Edgewater, West New York or Weehawken should work - not a great walkable area (the road's way too busy), but it's got a mix of apartment types and you can take the bus/light rail/Uber down into Hoboken. Fort Lee's got a ton of newer buildings going up and the town's making an effort to cater to Millennial tastes, though the luxury stuff is a bit pricy. Ramsey's got the downtown area and some popular bars, but it's a little over an hour away and I don't know of any luxury rentals over there.

To be honest, when I was single I would just bus/cab/train it into either Hoboken, Jersey City, or NYC on the weekends. I'd recommend looking for the affordable prices, green space and amenities first, then look at ways to get to those hubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey