Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:27 PM

5 posts, read 20,864 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to NJ, and I'm considering Newark/Elizabeth/Rahway
since it's between my new job and NYC.

I would prefer not to have to buy a car, and survive off public
transportation+cab. How do-able is that? It seems pretty do-able in
Jersey City/Hoboken, (please correct me if I'm wrong), but I got the
impression that the farther away I get from NYC, the harder it is.

I think I would need the following
1. Close to jersey coast train to commute to work
2. able to get home at 3am on Sat/Sun morning from NYC, after a night of partying
3. get grocery, especially asian grocery
4. get to the gym, shopping, movie...etc
(normal everyday events for a 20-something couple)

As for price range, I'm willing to spend up to 1500 for a 1 bedroom,
and 2000 is a little pushing it. But if it turns out I can get away
without needing a car, I guess that should make up for the extra rent.

I understand there are luxury apartments that has shuttle service,
such as Eleven80 in Newark (shuttle service to PATH station and
grocery store). Is that going to suit my needs? What are some other
ones besides Eleven80? Any in Elizabeth? Rahway? Those would be
better than Newark since it would be closer to work.

Now, if it turns out I'm crazy and I do need a car, I'll of course get
one. But -- the girlfriend still needs to get around without a car as
she doesn't drive. What are some more convenient places to live?
(As much as I love her, I don't want to be her chaffeur every time
she wants to get her nails done.)

Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 12:50 PM

857 posts, read 2,002,722 times
Hoboken/JC is really the only place you can get by without a car.
The other cities you mentioned have some public transportation, but Hobken & JC have been built up with young professionals in mind. You won't find gyms/shopping/movies/restaurants all within walking distance anywhere else.

As far as being on the NJ coast, you would have to get to newark penn, via path or NJ transit.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:53 PM

531 posts, read 2,150,445 times
jy_2007 is right.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:45 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
I'd check the NJ Transit/PATH schedule in regard to the "getting home at 3am" thing- I'm pretty sure that service is very limited in the wee hours of the morning, and I'm pretty sure that the Hoboken line doesn't even run on weekends.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:01 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times
To add, I'd stay out of Elizabeth and Newark. Where's your job? You may have other/better options.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:24 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
I would go with Hoboken. Some of tose other places you mentioned are Questionable areas.

Here is a Link to Hoboken Apartments for Rent----

Hoboken Apartment / Apartments, Rentals, Rent

Diane G

Old 02-12-2008, 04:16 PM

888 posts, read 887,077 times
I spent some time living in NJ, in Bayonne - just south of Jersey City. I would agree that JC and Hoboken are the optimal areas for living w/out a car.

Regarding Newark and Elizabeth, I do not totally share previous posters viewpoints. They are not entirely bad. Newark has a large and very cool neighborhood within walking distance of Newark's Penn Station called Ironbound. It has a large Portuguese influence, is quite safe, and is at the epicenter of NJ Transit. It's probably the only area of Newark where I would live.

Elizabeth has many immigrants from Colombia, and there are a couple of options there as well that would be safe. Elizabeth also has a NJ Transit station, and if you do not mind Latin American culture, Elizabeth could be sufficient.

Regarding Jersey City, Journal Square is being re-developed/rehabbed, and they are building a brand new gym there. Supermarkets are within walking distance, but you may need to go thru Newark's Penn Station to get to work - that's why Ironbound in Newark could be a better option.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the quick response guys. I really apprecaite it. Now
to answer some questions -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I'd check the NJ Transit/PATH schedule in regard to the "getting home at 3am" thing- I'm pretty sure that service is very limited in the wee hours of the morning, and I'm pretty sure that the Hoboken line doesn't even run on weekends.
I checked the path/NJ transit schedule -
NJ transit - last train leaving New York penn station is at 1:41am, so it seems like I can't party too late

PATH- WTC to Newark PATH runs 24H. looks good to me...
But, of course that would dump me off at newark PATH. if i live in ironbound, i can walk home (would i get mugged?).
But if i live in elizabeth - I'm not sure what to do. Is it stupid to suggest calling a cab in advance and driving me from Newark path to elizabeth? How much is that? Would 20 bucks work?

Old 02-12-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
To add, I'd stay out of Elizabeth and Newark. Where's your job? You may have other/better options.
I'm working in finance on jersey shore. Because of the distance, commuting from Hoboken/Jersey city is a bit too harsh. Even Newark is a tad far, but I'm willing to deal with it since I do want to be close to the city. I understand these neighborhoods are a little sketchy. But I'm fine with paying a premium to live in a better neighborhood of Newark/Elizabeth. And by premium I was thinking at max $2000. Is that fair? Too low? Too high?

What other options do you suggest?

Old 02-12-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palermodude View Post
I spent some time living in NJ, in Bayonne - just south of Jersey City. I would agree that JC and Hoboken are the optimal areas for living w/out a car.

Regarding Newark and Elizabeth, I do not totally share previous posters viewpoints. They are not entirely bad. Newark has a large and very cool neighborhood within walking distance of Newark's Penn Station called Ironbound. It has a large Portuguese influence, is quite safe, and is at the epicenter of NJ Transit. It's probably the only area of Newark where I would live.

Elizabeth has many immigrants from Colombia, and there are a couple of options there as well that would be safe. Elizabeth also has a NJ Transit station, and if you do not mind Latin American culture, Elizabeth could be sufficient.

Regarding Jersey City, Journal Square is being re-developed/rehabbed, and they are building a brand new gym there. Supermarkets are within walking distance, but you may need to go thru Newark's Penn Station to get to work - that's why Ironbound in Newark could be a better option.
Thanks for the information!

I'm willing to consider Ironbound and Elizabeth - I'm fine with Portuguese and Latin American culture. But, can you tell me how tough it would be to live without a car there? Also, do you know if there are any good asian developments in those areas? Having close access to a good asian grocery store is pretty important to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey