Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 09:26 AM

4 posts, read 79,547 times

Advertisements

Short:
Registration expired. Insurance was current but card was not (duh). Would not accept smartphone proof (rightfully).
Got two tickets
39:3-29 -- Failure to possess DL or Reg (had both, but reg was expired by 2 weeks). $180
39:3-4 -- Driving or parking unregistered motor vehicle. $54

Forgot to register vehicle because on the day I tried to change my registration I updated my mailing address and so could not also renew registration (had to wait 24 hrs - online restriction). I then forgot.

Long:
So I missed renewing my registration as I had to change my address online and wait 24 hours and I dropper the ball. Expired end of July. My insurance card was also the prior period's. I did not put my latest one (had taken it out when renting a car and did not put in back). Cop told me that I had two violations (insurance card and expired registration card) and could get my car impounded. But told me he doing me a favor by was letting me go with just these two tickets. True?
I renewed my registration 10 minutes from the incident (was a block away from my friend's house and did it online - got the PIN from my dad who was at home). Also printed proof of insurance from Geico website.

So did I get the screwed with the $180 ticket and could have gotten just one?
Do I stand any chance of getting the $180 one dismissed if I plead not guilty? Any advice on how I could get it waived. I dont mind paying the $54 because I was forgetful and procrastination bit me.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 10:06 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,926,019 times
That's tough and I think it is really depends on your township.

Just curious.. Were you pulled over for another reason? They don't usually know that you have expired registration unless they look you up.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:08 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
That's tough and I think it is really depends on your township.

Just curious.. Were you pulled over for another reason? They don't usually know that you have expired registration unless they look you up.
cops have cameras now on their cars that automatically checks any car that passes them.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:17 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,926,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
cops have cameras now on their cars that automatically checks any car that passes them.
I guess it really depends on where you are.

I found out my registration expired last Oct 2012 a few months ago. Got a warning to have it take care of. No ticket.

So I don't think they are checking all the time as it had expired a good six months. I've always done the online renew and had thought I had it renew last September. They went away with the stickers years ago so it's easy for one to forget about expired registration.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
I guess it really depends on where you are.

I found out my registration expired last Oct 2012 a few months ago. Got a warning to have it take care of. No ticket.

So I don't think they are checking all the time as it had expired a good six months. I've always done the online renew and had thought I had it renew last September. They went away with the stickers years ago so it's easy for one to forget about expired registration.
yeah, some towns have equipped their cops with this technology and some havent. but the cop that pulled me over for expired registration said that as time passes many more are getting it. you are lucky to just get the warning, im pretty sure they are doing this as a revenue generating mechanism (not because they are trying to protect us all from all the unregistered drivers) so i wouldnt expect much leniency. they want that money.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:35 AM

4 posts, read 79,547 times
Nope, no other reason. he told me he pulled me over for expired registration. I was on 25 or 35 speed zone and he was behind me. I am guessing the same - automatic scanner using camera (pretty simple it sounds to me).

So who should I talk to if I want to get this even considered for dismissal? This is my first ticket (11 years of driving).

Should I go to the police station and talk to someone? Or call the court?

This was in North Brunswick.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:52 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,430 times
Big Brother is so awesome!

Article today that they STILL don't have the yellow lights calibrated properly for those moneymaking red light cameras. If towns are gonna rip us off, at least do it on the up & up.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:15 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,582,047 times
You may or may not be able to get it dismissed but as far as I know those are just money tickets meaning they take your money but there is no record of violations nor any points.

If you go to court they might offer to charge you more money for the same thing or give you a chance to just pay it the same as you can do now.

Maybe you can ask the court folks over the phone, but I wouldn't bother too much with it. Other than that you could try speaking to the prosecutor before your court date and see what he/she advises.

Sometimes they might drop one if you pay the other. Depends on the individuals in charge.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:23 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by online008 View Post
Short:
Registration expired. Insurance was current but card was not (duh). Would not accept smartphone proof (rightfully).
Got two tickets
39:3-29 -- Failure to possess DL or Reg (had both, but reg was expired by 2 weeks). $180
39:3-4 -- Driving or parking unregistered motor vehicle. $54

Forgot to register vehicle because on the day I tried to change my registration I updated my mailing address and so could not also renew registration (had to wait 24 hrs - online restriction). I then forgot.

Long:
So I missed renewing my registration as I had to change my address online and wait 24 hours and I dropper the ball. Expired end of July. My insurance card was also the prior period's. I did not put my latest one (had taken it out when renting a car and did not put in back). Cop told me that I had two violations (insurance card and expired registration card) and could get my car impounded. But told me he doing me a favor by was letting me go with just these two tickets. True?
I renewed my registration 10 minutes from the incident (was a block away from my friend's house and did it online - got the PIN from my dad who was at home). Also printed proof of insurance from Geico website.

So did I get the screwed with the $180 ticket and could have gotten just one?
Do I stand any chance of getting the $180 one dismissed if I plead not guilty? Any advice on how I could get it waived. I dont mind paying the $54 because I was forgetful and procrastination bit me.

Thanks in advance.
I couldn't find anything for fines relating to insurance cards. Below is a link to the place I checked.

New Jersey Traffic Ticket Fines. Attorney Defends NJ Traffic Tickets.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Big Brother is so awesome!
its interesting that the government is now harvesting this data from these police cameras as well as all the cameras they have put up on the roads to keep records of all of the cars that pass by. if you arent in violation, still your presence passing those cameras is being recorded and stored. if you would have said this was happening 10 years ago they would have called you a paranoid nut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey