Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 07:44 PM

518 posts, read 1,791,912 times

Advertisements

Well maybe the 4th time will be the charm. Need to get my son a driving permit and have been to the NJ DMV 3 times in the last 2 months. First time I left because line was super crazy. 2nd time and 3rd I waited only to be turned away because after 2 hours they could not take in anymore people before they close. I was literally 1st in line and 8th in line just to get in the front door!!!

Well, what DMV should I try this time. I have been going to S. Plainfield, (heard Rahway was worst). Thinking of driving out to Randolph or even Washington, WArren county. I know they are updating the computers but my son turned 17 2 months ago and how depressing to be in this situation. And no a driving school will not take a 17 year old only 16 year olds. Please do not tell me to go at 5 am and wait, even that is going to be a 3 hour wait, just for the place to open.

And recent help on this typical NJ dilemma will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 09:50 PM

53 posts, read 71,293 times
I went to the Springfield DMV today to renew my driving license; as I entered the building I noticed that a lot of people were waiting in line across the street, next to a post which looked like a bus stop sign and I assumed that they were waiting for a bus to go to New York City. This DMV is just off Routes 24/124 and less than 5 minutes from Route 22.

The security guard told me that I had to go across the street and join the other people already waiting in line.....this was a line for the DMV services! The security guard came out every 10 minutes or so and would allow 6 to 10 people at a time to go inside the DMV....the receptionists then issue you with a card with a number on and you go and sit down and wait until you are called. Once inside the procedure was fairly quick and I think I was only in there for about 15 minutes.

The wait outside (in the heat with no shelter) was for about 1 hour and I joined the line at around 2.50pm. I'm glad I managed to get home (5 minutes away) just before a hailstorm and monsoon rainfall as there was nowhere to stay dry in the line outside the DMV.

I understand that on Tuesdays the Springfield DMV is open until 7.30pm but do double check that if you plan to go there! Good Luck!

Old 05-23-2016, 10:12 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,580,637 times
I think all the statewide MVC offices are open late on the same night, but don't trust me on that. Easy to double check online.

I have stopped at some of them down the NJ shore area as I was working and found almost none or very short lines,

Old 05-24-2016, 04:25 AM

619 posts, read 574,993 times
You're all scaring me. I Need to get a NJ drivers license (have a driver's license from a different country, and a non driver's ID card from NY state). I know the lines are bad. I'm probably going to bite the bullet and go on a Saturday morning. It's either that or miss a day of work and "maybe" get in... (in Bergen County)

Old 05-24-2016, 04:38 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,625,726 times
I have been to Freehold and never had an issue

Old 05-24-2016, 04:56 AM

But I am asking about recently going, thanks pasirpanjang for the input. Unfortunately I have found out that since we need a permit test we need a facility with testing computers. Not all NJDMV are built alike! Springfield does not offer this service. Only a few and the closes for me is S. Plainfield. I live in Somerset County and Somerville does not have this service anymore.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:25 AM

53 posts, read 71,293 times
In that case Familymom, I would definitely go to Eatontown - a few blocks from the Jersey Shore beaches.

We moved here from overseas (we're British) and had to jump through quite a few hoops to get our NJ licenses; although we had been driving for many years in England and Singapore, we had to take the theory test on the computers (we didn't have to physically drive, the driving test in the UK is of much higher caliber....one has to go out on a public road with an examiner for 45 minutes, almost all candidates drive stick shifts in Europe. One has to do a K-turn (3 point turn) in a narrow road, reverse around a corner, a hill-start, roundabouts (traffic circles) using correct lane procedure etc. One can fail just by not using indicators, not looking in the rear view mirror frequently enough, hands in the wrong position on the steering wheel etc. Only 50% of candidates pass first time! I just wish the standards were as high here in NJ, the drivers here are shocking.

We had endured going to an office in Newark to do the theory test and it was a nightmare in there! When our visas were extended we renewed our licenses and decided to go to Eatontown; what a very nice DMV office it is and even the staff were very pleasant. I don't think it is as busy as in Northern NJ as the population density is smaller. We were in and out quickly.....we then had a picnic at Seven Presidents Beach Park afterwards! I would definitely go there again if I had to go to a main regional DMV office instead of a smaller agency.

Good Luck!

Old 05-24-2016, 09:16 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,299,392 times
The one in Jersey City is never a problem. I don't think I've ever waited more than 10 minutes for anything there.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:40 AM

Just so everyone understands, they DMV just started using a new form and computer system that only allows 35 people to be processed in 1 hours (so security guard told me). I ended up going to the one in Washington, Warren County. The line to get in the door was kinda normal but the whole process to buy a beginners permit and take the written test was over 2 hours. The test only took about 20 min. of this time. Now the lines in S. Plainfield where 40 people deep out the door with 60 people waiting inside. I never even got in the door after waiting over 2 hours! Thank God he passed the written!! Now to return in 6 months to give more money and then a year later for even another upgraded license for even more money. CRAZY-- that is not even considering the insurance. Just keep working

Old 05-25-2016, 05:55 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,625,726 times
McGreevey had done a great job getting MVC running well. Maybe the current executive is not so good at running the operation. Might be that not replacing employees that leave (shrinking through attrition) causes these service issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey