Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 02:24 PM

3 posts, read 2,389 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

I am moving to NY/NJ area in July 10-15 from IL. My new office is at 100 Avenues of America, NY. I am looking at a budget of 1800-2100 area.

My requirements are

1. Safe and sound for my family
2. Budget of $1800-2100
3. As small a commute as possible
4. A Large Indian community.

I am thinking of Newport NJ, Hoboken NJ, and Edison NJ. Are these safe neighborhoods. I heard that parts of Newport are really unsafe and majority of the places on riverfront seem to be way expensive and are at $2500 and above.

Can somebody please tell me good communities in Edison, Newport etc, which are good and reasonable in price. I am looking at "The Aspire" in New Brunswick. Is it a nice community. which communities in Edison are good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 03:09 PM

25 posts, read 29,221 times
How big of a family? How many bedrooms?

New Brunswick isn't a 'nice' community.

Parts of Jersey City are unsafe. Newport is not unsafe.
Is your spouse working? in nyc?

Are your kids school age?

Young or no kids, I would suggst Newport; I think it would meet your criteria. With school age kids, the area around Edison

Old 05-22-2016, 03:23 PM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eibwen View Post
Young or no kids, I would suggst Newport; I think it would meet your criteria. With school age kids, the area around Edison
+1
...and...just to clarify matters for the OP, there is no such municipality as "Newport, NJ".
Newport is actually the name of an upscale, somewhat isolated real estate development in Jersey City.
Because of its relative isolation, it is safer than many other areas of Jersey City, but--of course--the children who live there still attend the sub-standard public schools of Jersey City, unless their parents opt for expensive private schools.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:17 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,855,988 times
Quote:

Pretty much agree with above.

New Brunswick is fine for college kids & childless young adults

OP's work is at 100 Ave. of the Americas (which is 6th ave., only tourists say "Ave. of the Americas.") The name was changed a long time ago, but real NYers still say 6th ave.

Problem is that the OP's work is not close to a PATH station. He's either looking at:

3 trains (or 2 trains & 1 bus) in each direction. NJ Transit to Newark, then PATH to WTC, & then subway or bus to work.

Or, go into Penn & schlep downtown on the subway. Now you're down to 2 trains each direction. The more trains you have to wait for the more likely to have a delay on one or the other & the more exhausting the trip.

I'm feeling tired just thinking about that commute. <g>

Can anyone think of towns that have a bus that stops downtown Manhattan?

Or, what about Weehawken or Edgewater, so OP could take the ferry (although ferry is not cheap.)

The ferry has free buses on the NY & NJ side, but don't know if one of their bus lines runs near his work.

OP - you may want to look at these sites:
New Jersey Transit - Home
New York Attractions - NY Waterway
Coach USA
PATH - The Port Authority of NY & NJ
MTA | Subway, Bus, Long Island Rail Road, Metro-North

Old 05-22-2016, 04:55 PM

25 posts, read 29,221 times
If I were working where OP is, I would want a downtown bus, or ferry.
He should check the Coach schedules, as Daliowa linked to.

Weehawken is a good, cheaper than Newport option; although it's a bit isolated if he doesnt keep a car.

Also Liberty Pointe is cheaper with ferries (i think).

My advice to OP is to not worry about being close to high Indian population, because he could easily drive to Edison or other high Indian population towns for cultural activities.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:17 AM

14 posts, read 14,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkugadu View Post
4. A Large Indian community.
is it only indians obsessed by living in own community?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=23574854

if so why you don't stay in india?

Old 05-23-2016, 02:47 AM

3 posts, read 2,389 times
Quote:

I have a small 8 month old baby and My wife does not work. She is looking at work-from-home opportunities.

A large indian community is definitely not a pre-requisite, but would prefer some Indians in the area.

Also i looked at the commute from Edison, it seems to be really far and tiresome about 1.5-2 Hours each way.

I am ready to pay up to $2200, would a good community in Newport be an option. Also if i stay in newport can i keep my car.

Also this is my first time moving into NJ/NY area, can somebody suggest a better option to rent a place, would NY be an option.

Also what is the difference between taxes in NY and NJ areas.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:06 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
New Brunswick is pricier commute to NYC, whatever you saved renting down there you're spending more time and money getting to NYC. Don't forget it snows here, it doesn't snow in India so you don't know what it feels like to wait for train in cold weather.

You either live closer to Manhattan or be close to a train station. I know people who live further down just to save a few bucks but takes 2hrs+ to get into NYC if any delays occur. Enjoy playing angry birds.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:43 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,596,404 times
So for questions, the practical side of me wants to ask,,,if he found some place near the MetroPark train station and took a train and a PATH or a train and a subway, what kind of commute is that normally?

Old 05-23-2016, 09:19 AM

15 posts, read 34,369 times
WE just moved from NJ to FL, for your requirement, Edison area is best. @ years in NJ, first year we lived in Jersey city, its terrible living in JC without car and parking madness... we then moved to Iselin, near edison. The apartment, location, indian community, kids, schools, grocery, shopping is amazing and all witihn close proximity. Your office is far, agreed. 95% of people living around this place all have office in NY and travel EVERYDAY !!!

The apartment we lived in was Gill lane Apartment. You can check BestrentNJ.com for apartment details. You can also check Green hollow drive apatement which can come to your budget. I was living in a 1bhk apt, it was huge big enough for 7 - 8 people to sleep in .... were our rent was $1430.

People travel by trains, - from Metro park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey