Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 09:04 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times

Advertisements

1st baby born in N.J. hospital with Zika-related birth defect | NJ.com

NJ has its first newborn born with microcephaly caused by the Zika virus. The baby was born at Hackensack University Medical Center to a Honduran mother "visiting" the United States. Convenient, right. Lucky mom's baby was born in the US and is a citizen, so mom probably gets to stay too, and they get our healthcare to boot.

Anyway this is the first known case in NJ of a baby born with the condition here, due to the Zika virus.

Do you guys think this will be a growing problem as summer comes? There is the potential for mosquitoes to bite infected people and spread the disease to other people through other bites. The only scary thing about this virus is the link to microcephaly. More research needs to be done to see just how long the effects of the virus can last before it is safe for people to have kids. Hopefully we won't have a problem on our hands in mosquito heavy areas like NJ but I don't see how we wouldn't have at least a small problem, cases here and there and more babies born with it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 09:45 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,773,520 times
I have no idea. Generally these diseases that get hyped up tend not to pan out into anything significant, but you got to wait and see.

I do agree that its not right that we allow pregnant women to come here, have a kid and then give the kid citizenship automatically. Its clearly a scheme, since she the mother was 36 weeks pregnant and had the kid via c-section. With these medical issues, its going to be one costly kid that the taxpayer is going to be on the hook for.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I do agree that its not right that we allow pregnant women to come here, have a kid and then give the kid citizenship automatically. Its clearly a scheme, since she the mother was 36 weeks pregnant and had the kid via c-section. With these medical issues, its going to be one costly kid that the taxpayer is going to be on the hook for.
Honestly this is what makes me the angriest.

This is another topic but IMO we need to do something about this "you're born here and you're automatically a citizen no matter what" thing. People take advantage of it too often, and now this infected woman (who knew she was infected) is a risk in this country, regardless of whether or not she was even pregnant. I have already seen mosquitos around and was bitten twice recently. She shouldn't be coming here "visiting" with this disease this time of year. It's selfish. It's one thing to be a citizen and bring it back here from elsewhere (still sucks but at least it's an American doing so) and another to come "visit" here knowing you have Zika during late spring, then have your kid here, too.

I think this is a bit worrisome to me because not a lot is known about Zika and its link to microcephaly other than that one exists. With Ebola, a lot is known about the disease. With Zika, this link is newly discovered and there is a lot the public hasn't been told, either because scientists are still working it out or simply haven't released info yet. It's not something I'm freaking out over or losing sleep over but I do find it a little concerning. Microcephaly is scary. People who have it live sad lives.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:56 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,200,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I have no idea. Generally these diseases that get hyped up tend not to pan out into anything significant, but you got to wait and see.

Not to turn this to a political thread but this is what Trump has been saying with many have had and still do frowned/ing at him for saying it.

I absolutely hate as well as sick and tired of we taking care of others instead of our "own sick and injured".

In the end the taxpayer gets shafted with no benefits of this to them.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:25 AM

510 posts, read 500,833 times
Contrary to popular belief, if you have a baby in this country and you (the parents) aren't a citizen you can be deported. At age 18 or 21 the child can choose if he/she wants to become a US citizen, and that is about the only "perk".

Old 06-01-2016, 10:45 AM

10,237 posts, read 6,327,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
Contrary to popular belief, if you have a baby in this country and you (the parents) aren't a citizen you can be deported. At age 18 or 21 the child can choose if he/she wants to become a US citizen, and that is about the only "perk".
Only one parent needs to be a US citizen, not both. My cousin was born in the US of an Irish Citizen Mother and a US Citizen Father. He is a US Citizen by birth and his Father's US Citizenship.

I have seen this in Florida schools. Children born in US of American Mothers and Foreign Citizen Fathers.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:52 AM

702 posts, read 540,753 times
So a woman has a child with a devastating birth defect and most of the posts are outrage over anchor babies.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:02 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,871,849 times
So we have all the money to "fight them over there so we don't have to fight them over here" except when it's an actual viral outbreak that money can actually help slow down.

Mosquitoes won

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/18/us...y-funding.html

Old 06-01-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack2000 View Post
So a woman has a child with a devastating birth defect and most of the posts are outrage over anchor babies.
Yes. It's sad for the baby and mom of course but it's clear what happened here and it's not fair to citizens of this country. Sorry, but in my mind we come first as citizens, not third world people who use our system to their advantage. Clearly mom is not a citizen so she doesn't have insurance for the birth so who's paying for her and baby's already expensive and extensive medical care and testing? It's not right. I think about us before I think about non-citizens, or citizens who are only citizens because mom managed to cross the border/fly here before giving birth. Yes this baby is now a citizen but became one in a cheap and scheming way. Let's not pretend this woman didn't know exactly what she was doing. I for one am not that naive.

This woman's mother is a microbiologist who tested her daughter for Zika, knew she was positive, and they knew the baby had birth defects because she had prenatal care in Honduras. She came here alone without her husband and other kid to conveniently "visit" at nearly 9 months pregnant and managed to give birth while here. I guess it's great for her that her kid will get good healthcare now but it truly sucks for New Jersey residents contributing to this anchor baby's care.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:36 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,871,849 times
But, as the mother is not a citizen, will be deported with her child. When her child is 21 they can come to the US and be a citizen, but NJ residents will not be on the hook.

Just because your kid is a citizen doesn't mean you get to live here. It literally does not work that way.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ation-defense/

As there is no vaccine for Zika the treatment she gets home in Honduras is similar to what she would get here, I would be very surprised if she was given a humanitarian parole for this given her tourist visa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey