Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 12:24 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,988,385 times

Advertisements

Bottom line: different strokes for different folks. If you don't like where you are or what you are doing, make a change and don't blame your environment.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:20 PM

491 posts, read 376,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekaten View Post
Exactly. There are many reasons why so many NJers switch to NC. We have no real estate to worry about selling, so there should be no problem. Racially, I always felt like an outcast in Westfield - the HS is almost 90% white (town itself is 80%) and many are wealthy conservative families. I personally experienced more racism in NJ than I ever have in NC - and I've visited the country down there as well - but, of course, my dad, who hasn't really stepped foot outside of the Northeast in a LONG time, completely rejects that notion. Which, I guess, is fairly reasonable since the media distortions of both states are of course correct.
North Carolina is significantly less racist than NJ. NJ suffers from "silent racism", and territorial enclaving.. meaning people of certain heritage, ethnicity flock together and close off. Though NJ boasts diversity, there is very little social integration in NJ.

North Carolina is a completely different story. Walk into price's chicken coop, you'll see whites, asians, blacks all in the same place, lots of restaurants have people integrating with one another, churches as well. I have 3 homes, a small apt in NYC to get to work, a weekend home in NJ, and a small winter home in NC. NC is definitely the friendliest. People always hold the door for one another, you are met with a pleasant smile, eye contact and greeting at cash registers. Of course there are racist outliers everywhere, but if not for my current situation, I'd sell my NJ/NY properties and live in NC permanently.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey