Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 08:23 PM

11 posts, read 20,626 times

Advertisements

hello,
looking for some feedback here on NJ towns. Here's my situation. Currently live in Fort Lee, don't love it, but love the proximity to the city (although wish there was a direct train).

Recently got a job in Parsippany and commute has been a little rough (am now also wondering if it it will only get worse once school year starts). Used to work in Rockland County NY so commute was not bad. (25-30 min). My commute now ranges from 45 min to an hour.

Lease is up in November. Considering Jersey City, Montclair, and Morristown

Am single, in my early 30s, so looking for more of lively, walkable town with shops/restaurants/bars etc. Fort Lee was too suburban for me. Also am more of a city person so really want the option to be somewhat close to the city. (have lived in Philly and Baltimore).

Love Jersey City, but am not sure of the areas of jersey city (is area around journal square PATH OK?) and if my budget actually allows it, and also probably not helping my commute issue. Seems like traffic around the tunnel would get congested. Morristown (lot of work people live there) ideally seems like it would be what I am looking for (in terms of town/commute) but I think getting too far from NYC.

I've been told to look into Montclair but don't know much about the area. Any other towns to look at? Thoughts?

Looking for 1 bedroom, would not like pay more than 1800/month, must be dog friendly

Right now I mostly drive into the city and I honestly don't mind it. Am comfortable and gotten to know areas to park in, but it would be nice to have an easy accessible direct transportation into the city.

also besides craigslist, any other good sites for apt hunting?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 10:35 PM

728 posts, read 1,965,676 times
Montclair would be a good fit. Easy access to NYC and Parsipanny.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:19 AM

862 posts, read 976,409 times
Morristown would seem to be your best fit, walkable, great for singles, lots of placed to eat/drink, and had njt rail direct to nyc and close to Parsippany.

I would look for a place that's walklable to center of town since parking can be tight on south street and near train station.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:25 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Montclair would be a good commute, but if you think Fort Lee feels too suburban then you will probably feel the same about Montclair.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:09 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,022 times
I used to commute from jersey city to parsippany. You are looking at an hour, sometimes more. It can be shorter during the summer though when there are less cars on the road. Still I would not recommend you doing that commute. Morristown would be a great commute to Parsippany, but if you are thinking that's too far from NYC, then I would suggest trying South Orange. Similar to Morristown but closer to NYC. As a single person, I think that would be a better option than Montclair. Also more urban than Montclair in character.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:53 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
I would suggest trying South Orange. Similar to Morristown but closer to NYC. As a single person, I think that would be a better option than Montclair. Also more urban than Montclair in character.
I live in South Orange and I have to disagree on this point. Montclair is definitely bigger and busier with more to do. I'm very fond of South Orange, but I regret not moving to Montclair originally.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:36 PM

115 posts, read 98,667 times
Look at Morristown or Montvale

Old 08-15-2016, 08:43 AM

11 posts, read 20,626 times
thanks everyone! will check out south orange. Also from reading the forums, maybe Maplewood. Can anyone tell me about the public transportation from Montclair into NYC? Is it a direct train?

Also what about peoples thoughts about living near the Path stations, mainly Harrison and area around journal square. Still thinking about JC but maybe not as far in so I don't have to deal with traffic. (is it safe at night, to ride alone, etc)

Old 08-15-2016, 10:57 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,425 times
To make it simple for you, cross out any towns along the gold coast (hudson river). Commute to Parsippany will not be fun from any towns along the coast. Edgewater, Fort Lee, Weehawken, Jersey City, Hoboken, etc.

Even if you are further away from the coast and are on top of the cliff. Still not good. Commute is rough and you are looking at 1 hr each way on average. 40m on rare days when there is absolutely no traffic, 1.5 or longer if there is some accident or major traffic jam on tunnel/bridge from the towns by the coast. Esp towns like Fort Lee, JC, Hoboken which all have bridge or tunnel traffic.

You are better off looking at Montclaire, S.Orange, or Morristown. None are that close to city but you got trains that go to city and def more drivable than from say Parsippany itself.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:56 PM

115 posts, read 146,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak329 View Post
thanks everyone! will check out south orange. Also from reading the forums, maybe Maplewood. Can anyone tell me about the public transportation from Montclair into NYC? Is it a direct train?

Also what about peoples thoughts about living near the Path stations, mainly Harrison and area around journal square. Still thinking about JC but maybe not as far in so I don't have to deal with traffic. (is it safe at night, to ride alone, etc)
I would vouch for Harrison. I lived in Harrison for several years. And, if you do a search for "Harrison" on the New Jersey threads you will find a great deal of information.

Harrison is quickly developing/changing.

When I lived there, I lived next to the train station. The commute to Newark was 2 minutes. WTC (where the mall is now opening tomorrow) was only 18 minutes away.

There will be a lot that looks different about Harrison in the next 2 - 3 years. The rental rates are less than Hoboken and downtown JC... but depending on your comfortability... it can be pricey. You're paying for the convenience of living next to a train station (and, not just a train station into NYC... but, close proximity to just about anywhere along the east coast... From my apt, I could be in Center City Philadelphia in 1 hour 30 to 40 minutes tops).

Harrison is quiet (save for game days)... relatively safe (again, do a quick search of "Harrison" on the threads)... and, there are some awesome parks in and nearby the town.

Parsippany on the train (from Harrison) is over an hour though (if you don't have a car). If you have a car, it's about a 25 minute drive. So, you'd be a close drive to work (going west), and a close train ride into the city (going east).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey