Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 11:57 AM

224 posts, read 246,992 times

Advertisements

Just found another with reviews the others did not have any reviews. This one is $425 he says because he is close that's why it's lower than usual. Terra home inspections is the name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 12:01 PM

229 posts, read 251,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbondone View Post
He said it should take about 1hr 30 min not sure if he is just saying that and will take more time. I am sure he will not rush.
That sounds rather quick to me for a single family home. A good inspector will walk the roof and inspect every square inch of the home. Mine was pointing out details like lawn grading along with finish and paint flaws. That takes time. That said, every house is different. While I noted that my inspection took 3 hours, my house does have 4,000 Sq. Ft. Of finished space. So I guess its makes sense that a house that is less than half that size would require half the time to inspect.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:10 PM

229 posts, read 251,007 times
Quote:
Just got two quotes one for $450 the other for $525 he one for $450 he says he brings separate termite inspectors they take about 20-30 min for the termites inspection.
A home inspection is not something you want to seek a "deal" on. Pay the money to have it done right. Having someone whose doesn't know what they're doing miss something big will cost you more in the long run. The best inspectors have a background in construction and know how things are supposed to be. You want someone ASHI certified. Most reputable inspectors should be in the same ballpark more or less. In my opinion, when you see quotes a couple of hundred dollars apart, something is wrong.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:10 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
So how much is this home? $300,000 or so? And we're talking about $500 worth of costs to determine if you should literally spend hundreds of thousands? Because even if it's $600 it's still a hell of a deal. FWIW, our 1200 sf home took about four hours. Basement. Attic. Every room. Poking in walls. The twenty page document was magnificent. Our inspector earned every single dime and I would gladly pay them twice as much knowing what I know now.

Find someone you like, use them. Don't worry about fifty bucks between them here or there.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:45 PM

224 posts, read 246,992 times
Not worried about the money just was wondering if that was way out of the usual cost. From what I see prices seem to be 450-500 and these are guys ASHI certified which is why I want to go with one of them instead. So I will pick one of those two. I spoke with others that were not on the list ASHI and I didn't get a good vibe. They spoke about having people who can fix things if something is wrong. I don't want anyone trying to sell me some other companies business. So my pick is out of the two ASHI certified which happen to be $50 apart. I will look for reviews thanks

Old 08-15-2016, 05:31 PM

127 posts, read 160,458 times
Quote:
Thanks its in Union NJ how long did they take?
He looks about 3-4 hours and he had another guy check for buried fuel storage tanks which took about 30 mins.

Remember to take notes and ask plenty of questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: