Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 06:02 AM

414 posts, read 359,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Trust me when I say it's not a good long weekend trip. It's a nine hour drive if there's no construction, accidents, weather events, or need to get out of the car. I, or my husband and I, have had to stay in a hotel and finish the trip the next day.
Agreed (from experience) - 9 hours is the best timing we've made between Wilmington and north Jersey and at times we have also had to stay in a hotel along the way if we encountered bad weather. A few times it took 12 hours. There are no direct flights between Newark and Wilmington - we've flown Philly to Wilmington or Newark to Raleigh. Apparently Spirit will soon offer a flight between Newark and Myrtle which will probably be the best bet, but when flying Spirit baggage will have to be kept to a minimum.

At least the OP is already used to being far from family and Wilmington is somewhat doable via car if an emergency arises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 08:49 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,790,391 times
Agree - 95 sucks! But I just mean it's do-able if you want to drive vs. Fly. And Raleigh=>Newark is not an expensive flight either. So imo it's much closer to family than AZ.

Consider college costs on your budget...NJ colleges are $$$ even in-state. UNC system offers low cost excellent universities.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:55 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
College is a consideration, but no one is confined to New Jersey.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:16 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,790,391 times
Quote:
College is a consideration, but no one is confined to New Jersey.
Correct...but it is nice when the state offers a *reasonably* priced in-state tuition at a good university.

With what NJ residents pay for taxes, having a good university option, with reasonable tuition, would be good. Rutgers doesn't fit the bill IMO, due to crappy campus layout and high tuition.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:02 PM

901 posts, read 2,249,180 times
If good schools are your highest priority then if you want NC move to (Wake County/Triangle area). Lots of jobs is bonus. If you decide NJ is it, forget about Ocean County and move to Monmouth. Get yourself a job and increase your household income

Old 08-21-2016, 08:04 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,260,829 times
Quote:
Half an hour by helicopter?
I think you were thinking of Allentown, PA, but the poster was talking about Allentown, NJ.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:10 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,260,829 times
Hate to bring this up, but we are in the midst of hurricane season and you have been away for a while. (You missed Hurricane Sandy -- lucky you!) Be sure to look up the hurricane history of wherever you think you want to move. Ocean County certainly took a hit from Sandy, and Wilmington, NC was hit extremely hard by Floyd. That's just for starters, of course.

My sister lived in Scottsdale for 5 or 6 years. She used to email me that she would kill for a cloudy day once in a while! LOL She is back in NJ now, but planning to move south for retirement, due to NJ's insane property taxes.

Good luck!

Old 08-21-2016, 10:35 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I think you were thinking of Allentown, PA, but the poster was talking about Allentown, NJ.
Have you ever been there? It's a cute little town. There's a really nice old mill there, too. I think the place that is now a salon used to be a restaurant, but I could be mistaken. Anyway, shut the door and start and start the car to, "Look, there's the ocean!" is more than half an hour. All bets are off on Saturday in the summer...and often Friday and Sunday morning.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:57 AM

129 posts, read 150,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
My sister lived in Scottsdale for 5 or 6 years. She used to email me that she would kill for a cloudy day once in a while! LOL She is back in NJ now, but planning to move south for retirement, due to NJ's insane property taxes.

Good luck!
Haha yes, the constant and oppressive sunshine gets old after awhile

Old 08-22-2016, 09:59 AM

129 posts, read 150,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Correct...but it is nice when the state offers a *reasonably* priced in-state tuition at a good university.

With what NJ residents pay for taxes, having a good university option, with reasonable tuition, would be good. Rutgers doesn't fit the bill IMO, due to crappy campus layout and high tuition.
100% agree, lots of college options in NC. I did my first year at Rutgers (commuting) which was not great, fulfilling or worth the tuition even back then in 2004.

Thank you everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey