Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 11:37 AM

3 posts, read 3,154 times

Advertisements

I would like to move out of NJ, probably within the next year. There are many reasons but mainly because of the cost of living and NJ's really bad economy. I'm a single man in his mid forties. I have a bachelor's degree and a master's degree. I worked in publishing for 20+ years and then was laid off during the recession and couldn't get a job for over a year in NJ. When I did finally get another job it was in a totally different field. Because of the recession and NJ still not being out of the recession (even though the rest of the country seems to be recovering) I lost my condo in foreclosure and had to declare bankruptcy. I am currently teaching as a part time adjunct and living back with my parents until I can save up enough to move out again. I have always been a good worker and despite my current living arrangement I do pretty well on my own. I just can't help but feel that a person with my education and work experience could do so much better in a state that has a good economy, which NJ no longer does. The only problem is I can't decide where to move. I guess my question is has anyone moved out of NJ who is in my general type of situation that could give me any tips on where to move? Like I said I'm single so I would be looking for different things then a person with a wife and kids. I would be looking for an area that has nightlife and a social scene. I would also need a place that has good jobs though. I love the Washington DC area but in recent years that area has gotten really expensive (as expensive as Jersey I would say). I also like Boston but that's also about on par with Jersey's housing prices. I've thought about Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. They are cheaper. I've been to Boston, DC and Philadelphia in the past. I've never been to Pittsburgh. I have friends that have moved to the Tampa, Florida area and like it a lot. I've also thought about Denver and Austin, Texas. Any suggestions or experiences anyone has had with moving out of NJ? I would like to either be in a city or in the suburbs outside a city. I grew up in the suburbs of NJ (Paramus area) right outside of NYC but it's just too expensive and the jobs in NJ just don't pay enough since the recession. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 11:54 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
I'd suggest you have a better plan on what you want to do when you want to move, that way you can figure out where you might be able to get a job.

You should also visit some of these towns. Pittsburgh and Austin, for example, are pretty different in location, weather, and locals.

You're asking us where to move when it seems like you don't know what you want to move to or what you like. For example, if you like to ski, Austin is not your place. If you hate the ocean, Tampa is not where you want to be.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:34 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
You are completely all over the map (literally). You can't just move somewhere based on someone else's experience. What type of environment do you like, and most importantly, where are you going to find a job in your industry? For example, if you're into banking that might be big in Austin but not Denver (I'm just guessing). You need to do some research first. And besides, I can't tell you how many people I know that have left NJ thinking life would be better elsewhere. Every one of them has come running back.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:41 PM

I'm not crazy about the winter or snow and I don't ski. I prefer the warm months. Heat doesn't bother me at all. While it would be nice to live in a warm climate I'm more concerned with being able to find a good job and have a nice place again and having social activities close. I guess what I'm asking is compared to northern NJ how is the economy, nightlife, social scene, cost of living, singles vs. families ratio, etc. I know I can look a lot of this up on the internet on a cost of living calculator and I have done that but I'm just curious to hear from people who actually have lived in these places what they think the pros and cons are of living in these places are. Like I mentioned I have been to DC, Boston, Philadelphia and Tampa in the past. I really like DC and Boston but they are just as expensive as NJ. Philadelphia would probably be my third choice but it is cheaper than DC and Boston so it might be a more practical choice. I would like to visit Pittsburgh, Denver and Austin if I get the chance this year. I've also thought of the big cities in Ohio (Columbus, Cincinnati, Cleveland) because the cost of living there seems to be dirt cheap from what I can tell. Before the recession I was making a little over 50K a year and just barely getting by in NJ owning a condo. I think if I can get another full time job in another state (NJ only seems to have part time jobs these days) I can get another job making in the 50 to 60K range or maybe even more based on my education and experience. I am looking for an area where 50K would be a good enough salary where I could have a nice apartment and still be able to go out and do things. On 50K a year in NJ almost all my money went to the mortgage. I'm looking for a better quality of life.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:45 PM

I could work in publishing or as a professor. I have experience in both fields. Yes, it is true some people move out of NJ and end up coming back but I know just as many (my friends in Tampa for instance) who have moved and don't want to ever move back.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:21 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times
City Data Pro-Tip:

There are forums for each state you mentioned wanting to move to filled with people who actually know what life is like in those states. Try posting there

Old 09-16-2016, 01:23 PM

351 posts, read 481,890 times
Why can't you just look for a job first in another state? Apply online, and if anyone bites you can fly out to interview and spend some time exploring to see if the location is agreeable with you.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:55 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
You should see where the jobs are and then have a look. For example, the cost of living in Columbus is low because there are few jobs there. It's dirt cheap to live in Detroit but it's difficult to find a place that will pay you 50K there.

Not a lot of publishing gigs in Tampa, for example, so would it make sense for you to look there? Seriously, I'm asking. Because you need to figure this out for yourself. I'm not certain getting a list of pros and cons is going to help you out a lot because you'll find just as many people in NJ that would have such a list that says you should stay. Talk to someone who hates Austin and they'll tell you it sucks. I have a friend in Denver who loves it but hates all the people moving out who would lie to you to get you to stay where you are. Again, moving someplace is a personal choice that you need to go visit and look into on your weekends.

Also, look into paragraphs while you're taking advice from the internet.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:03 PM
46H

1,650 posts, read 1,398,714 times
Check out Houston.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:50 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
You have a career/employment problem, not a geographic problem. You need to fix that first.

Publishing is a dying industry. What are your degrees in? What else can they position you to do?

Also, where in NJ are you? Is it commutable to Manhattan? If you aren't already, you should be looking there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey