Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2016, 11:09 PM

638 posts, read 2,243,116 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else experienced a great deal of difficulty with EZPass in NJ?

I bought a new car and in the process changed license plates. Ive done this before with no issue.
Ive used the same EZPass tag for years without a problem.

I get a fine in the mail for $2.50 toll and $50.00 admin fee. The issue turned out to be that my plates did not match the EZPass tag. Of course the violation letter I got never stated what the problem was, it just noted I went throug a tollbooth and there was an issue. It was not until I called them that I was told my plates no longer matched the EZPass tag.

In the process of figuring this out, I spent an hour tracking down my account number, the zip code where the "infraction" happened, my EZPass tag number, the EZPass account number, EZPass Pin number, and so on... The tag and account numbers are 13 digits long and when entering all of this online and over the phone, its nuts!

I disputed the violation and got the $50.00 admin fee waived, but it seems like the entire EZPass website and phone system are set up to be so confusing and cumbersome that most people just stop and write a check for 50 plus bucks. Even the envelope they send the letter in is bright yellow and has red typeface stating VIOLATION.
The letter said that they could suspend my license if I didn't pay. Meanwhile, they have my CC info on file. I dont get the drama.

The NJ E-Pass website looks straight out of 1998. With all the tolls they collect you'd think they could do better.

OK, done venting. We do deserve better from them though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 05:07 AM

127 posts, read 160,491 times
I never had a problem changing or adding a license plate to my EZPass account online. I probably done it 5 times over the last 15 years. I even added my sister-in-law plates (no transmitter) so she did not have to wait to pay the tolls in line.

EZPass also recently did two replenishment of my account a day apart and what surprise me they refunded the second one - two days late - I did not call or complain it just happen - thankful I had credit card alerts set up so I knew about it.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:22 AM

88,523 posts, read 84,705,921 times
I go on the NJ EZPass site at least once a month because my employer reimburses me for commutation tolls. I never had that much difficulty.

You set it up once, then you can add a user name to enter instead of the long account number.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:45 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
Thanks for the remind... Just put in my new plate...

Old 10-15-2016, 09:12 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR77 View Post
Has anyone else experienced a great deal of difficulty with EZPass in NJ?

I bought a new car and in the process changed license plates. Ive done this before with no issue.
Ive used the same EZPass tag for years without a problem.

I get a fine in the mail for $2.50 toll and $50.00 admin fee. The issue turned out to be that my plates did not match the EZPass tag. Of course the violation letter I got never stated what the problem was, it just noted I went throug a tollbooth and there was an issue. It was not until I called them that I was told my plates no longer matched the EZPass tag.

In the process of figuring this out, I spent an hour tracking down my account number, the zip code where the "infraction" happened, my EZPass tag number, the EZPass account number, EZPass Pin number, and so on... The tag and account numbers are 13 digits long and when entering all of this online and over the phone, its nuts!

I disputed the violation and got the $50.00 admin fee waived, but it seems like the entire EZPass website and phone system are set up to be so confusing and cumbersome that most people just stop and write a check for 50 plus bucks. Even the envelope they send the letter in is bright yellow and has red typeface stating VIOLATION.
The letter said that they could suspend my license if I didn't pay. Meanwhile, they have my CC info on file. I dont get the drama.

The NJ E-Pass website looks straight out of 1998. With all the tolls they collect you'd think they could do better.

OK, done venting. We do deserve better from them though.
Yes they try to fool people into thinking it's a mandatory fine like a police ticket that has to be paid or fought, a lot of people don't know you can call and dispute it so it's just profit for them.

Old 10-15-2016, 02:54 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,580,637 times
You don't even have to call them. You can just do that online, they wave the $50 fee as long as the plate is either on your account or you add it to your account. I've dome it many times. yo can also have other cars on your account like kid's cars, etc.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:33 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,885 times
Same thing in PA~but they're usually gracious about waiving the fee once it's determined that you've switched license plates, purchased a new car, were driving a rental car, or even when your EZ pass is expired.

I always take a picture of my rental car license plate, and keep a copy of the rental agreement, just in case.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:40 PM

638 posts, read 2,243,116 times
I spoke to someone at work today who handles all of our sales cars and trucks and he also echoed your comments that its typically pretty easy to clear up. I just didn't have my info in hand.

One of my co-workers chimed in that he had a violation end up in collections. He swore he never got anything in the mail. He cleared it up with the collection agency, but then EZ Pass perminently pulled his tag in NJ because a violation went to collections. Then we started talking about if there would be a possibility of just getting a Pennsylvania EZPass in that case since they are all separate agencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey