Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:29 PM

2 posts, read 42,064 times

Advertisements

Jersey City or Hoboken are the best. Hoboken is a little annoying because of the people. I suggest up and coming areas like Journal Square in Jersey City. The prices are good and the area will be a hot spot in the years to come. It is not so great yet but it should be a worth while investment and the Path train runs 24/7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 07:50 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-bit View Post
Hi Dorian, out of curiosity, are you moving here out of personal preference or for a job location? Pittsburgh to Bergen County NJ is going to be a very significant change of your lifestyle (I love Pittsburgh by the way). I've lived in Bergen County for over 20 years and I personally cannot wait to move far away.

I'd recommend Park Ridge NJ, Nutley NJ, Dumont/Cresskill/Tenafly NJ, Woodcliff Lake NJ, and Paramus NJ.

No offense to anyone who lives there but I would stay away from Hudson county as a whole. I grew up in North Bergen & lived there for years, and spent 4 years in college, in Jersey City. The property values there are much less. It's much more urban than Bergen County overall. Stay away from Union City & Jersey City.

I am sorry for the negative tone but Bergen County NJ is a place for executives and rich people. If you want to live in a decent town, expect to pay in the upward of $700k+ for a home that was built in the 80s, and it will have very little property and your neighbors will be at a short distance. If you are in the lower/middle or middle class, it will be a life where a lot of cutbacks from your annual lifestyle will have to be made. Everything is super expensive, from tolls to outrageous (!!!) property taxes. Several towns in Bergen County, especially Fort Lee, Cliffside Park, Palisades Park, Ridgefield and Ridgefield Park are becoming segregated and there is a lot of issues where jobs, real estate listings, grocery stores and other things are only written in a certain language, so only those certain people will know of them and everyone else feels unwelcome. It's unfortunate and nothing is ever done about it.

Sorry to be a downer but there's good and bad to moving here. If you or anyone in your family has a great job in NYC, your options to live in one of the nicer places in Bergen await you. Beyond that, there is a significant lifestyle adjustment to living in this area. That also goes for the work ethic here.

I was planning on coming to nyc for school (rutgers) and for me and my fiance to find a job. There are only a few major cities that have what I am going to school for, so it was between New York, Philadelphia, or Columbus. I don't mind the negativity (which I didn't even thing was that negative) because I know it is you being real about the area and the situation. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:12 PM

69 posts, read 313,112 times
I would consider Wood Ridge, Rutherford, Lyndhurst in Bergen County, Clifton in Passaic County, or Nutley & Bloomfield in Essex County. All are good overall towns, conveniently located, and close to night life in both NYC, Montclair, Hoboken, etc.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:37 PM

30 posts, read 157,399 times
Dorian - I'm going to be a bit more negative (sorry). I think you guys really need to look at your budget. My first career path was with Public Relations and the pay for a newbie is pittance. It's usually disgraceful. Same goes for starting a career in Advertising. Companies know that they have a large pool of qualified contenders that are striving to get their foot in the door.

Traditionally, people in PR/Adv tend to move around from company to company relatively quickly with pay scales jumping as you go. With more experience comes more moolah. Those who can't cut it, drop out for other careers.

I mention this because I'd hate for you guys to buy into a lease and then be struggling to make payments. Just some thoughts that might make your life more enjoyable in the long run.

You may want to contact Rutgers and see if they have any suggested student housing options for "married couples". Your fiance could always commute into NYC by NJ Transit.

As an aside, I wouldn't forgo Columbia. They have to fill out a bell curve, and whereas your grades may not be the best, if you can cast yourself in a favorable light, either by activities, volunterism, etc., it's completely possible that they could accept you. Work with your fiance about doing some PR work on you. If you landed that, then you both could live within managed housing and 116th & Broadway is a great place.

Good luck.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:53 PM

15 posts, read 101,301 times
I am taking a job in Paramus, NJ and want to know where a good place to live would be, to still commute to work but be close to the city...I'm 26, single and excited to move to the NYC area...does anyone have any suggestions? THANK YOU!!!

Old 10-18-2010, 05:04 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinamedia View Post
I am taking a job in Paramus, NJ and want to know where a good place to live would be, to still commute to work but be close to the city...I'm 26, single and excited to move to the NYC area...does anyone have any suggestions? THANK YOU!!!
Look at Fair Lawn. Good-sized town, both multi-family home and garden apartment complex rental choices, has everything you need in close proximity, right next to Paramus, and two train stations plus bus service to the city. Also near a big mall plus access to the Garden State Parkway, which gets you to the Jersey shore.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:09 PM

15 posts, read 101,301 times
Hi MightyQueen, thank you for your help! I am looking more in the actual NYC area, I know it seems backwards to move to NYC and commute to NJ, but I'd like to actually live in New York or very close to it, do you know of any good places that are better for young people? I know that Paramus is more of a suburban/family oriented neighborhood, and while I'm glad I found a great job there, I don't really want to live there... Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Old 10-19-2010, 01:42 AM

728 posts, read 1,965,880 times
Well Fair Lawn is going to be suburban as well. Depends on your budget look into Hoboken if you can afford it. Perfect dose of Urban living right by Nyc and easy commute to Paramus. Just remember generally Urban in NJ means high crime, Hoboken is an exception as are other parts of Hudson County.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:48 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinamedia View Post
Hi MightyQueen, thank you for your help! I am looking more in the actual NYC area, I know it seems backwards to move to NYC and commute to NJ, but I'd like to actually live in New York or very close to it, do you know of any good places that are better for young people? I know that Paramus is more of a suburban/family oriented neighborhood, and while I'm glad I found a great job there, I don't really want to live there... Any help is greatly appreciated!!
A lot of people do the "reverse commute", so you won't be alone.

I have a friend who is a college professor in Mahwah and lives in Washington Heights, which is a section of northern Manhattan just over the George Washington Bridge. That's an area you could check out, although you'd have to be careful, as some areas of Washington Heights are crime-ridden (big drug area). As a matter of fact, I was shocked when she said she lived there, but she's in a beautiful building on a quiet street (and it's not inexpensive). Also, to work in Paramus you would need a car, and it's very pricey to keep a car in Manhattan.

So...why don't you check out some place like Fort Lee, which is on the NJ side of the GWB? You will have easy access into the city by car or by bus, a view of the magnificent skyline and river from either where you live or close by, and there are a lot of high-rises with rentals available in that town. Bear in mind that there is also a heavy Korean population in Fort Lee, so if you have any prejudices in that regard, you won't like it there, but people I know who live there have no problem with it. Fort Lee will also be more affordable than Hoboken and safer than Jersey City.

Fort Lee is an easy drive down Route 4 to Paramus, and in the mornings and evenings, most of the traffic will be going the other way.

Also, since I am a wealth of worthless information, you might like to know that Fort Lee pre-dates Hollywood as the movie capital of the world, from back in the 1920's. In the old days of silent movies, the stories would be shown in serials. Popular storylines included a woman being snatched by a bad guy and rescued by the hero. The week's movie would often end on a precarious note to get the moviegoer to come back the following week. One such popular ending was a shot of the damsel in distress dangling for her life from the edge of the Palisades along the Hudson River--hence the term, "cliffhanger".

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-19-2010 at 07:57 AM..

Old 10-19-2010, 10:20 AM

84 posts, read 296,922 times
Check out Middlesex, Union, or Bergen counties for a good commute, schools, etc. Some towns like Springfield, Fair Lawn, East Brunswick, Westfield, etc. are all good towns with good educations and good transportation to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey