Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2016, 12:55 PM

3 posts, read 5,867 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone knows of any toy poodle breeders in NJ or even in the tri-state area? Our little dog passed away in September and we're looking to expand our family again. I have allergies to some breeds (already tried the shelter route but had bad allergy issues) so I'd like to visit a breeder of poodles to see if I would be ok with this type of dog. I've looked on Google for breeders but the results aren't the best, I'm more interested in getting a personal recommendation from someone.

Hope someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
Carolyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 12:11 AM

2 posts, read 3,833 times
Hi Carolyn,

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's never easy...

Pls try the Watchung Mountain Poodle Club. I believe Jed has some puppies available now, and more might be on the way. I have toy poodles from two of the club members (sadly both recently passed away) who were AKC Breeders of Merit. The website isn't always current, so please reach out to them even if none are listed on the Puppy Pen section of the site.

I highly recommend the breed. My mother-in-law is severely allergic, but she is able to handle being in the company of four toy poodles in our house for extended stays. In addition, they are very intelligent and sweet companions, so full of personality.

Good luck on your search for your new family member.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopewellFarm View Post
Hi Carolyn,

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's never easy...

Pls try the Watchung Mountain Poodle Club. I believe Jed has some puppies available now, and more might be on the way. I have toy poodles from two of the club members (sadly both recently passed away) who were AKC Breeders of Merit. The website isn't always current, so please reach out to them even if none are listed on the Puppy Pen section of the site.

I highly recommend the breed. My mother-in-law is severely allergic, but she is able to handle being in the company of four toy poodles in our house for extended stays. In addition, they are very intelligent and sweet companions, so full of personality.

Good luck on your search for your new family member.

Thank you so much for your advice, I appreciate it so much! I will definitely reach out to Watchung Mountain Poodle Club. Hopefully we can find a puppy through them that's perfect for us. It's great to get a recommendation like this since you've had experience with the club. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your poodles...we're learning in the past couple months how hard it is to lose a dog. We definitely lost a big part of our family. Can't wait to love a new dog soon.

It's very encouraging to hear that your mother-in-law can handle being around your poodles despite her allergies! This is definitely a bit stressful to try and find a dog I won't react to but keeping my fingers crossed I'll be fine with the breed.

I hope you don't mind another question but how energetic are your toy poodles? I can definitely give a dog some daily exercise but I won't be able to go for very long walks every single day. I'm hoping they will be a good fit for me.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 11-17-2016, 07:35 AM

398 posts, read 984,850 times
Poodle mixed breeds also do not shed, right?

Old 11-17-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djshinodalp View Post
Poodle mixed breeds also do not shed, right?
I'm not sure that all poodle mixed breeds do not shed. We had a terrier mix that had a bit of poodle in her and she shed like crazy but she had less than 1/2 poodle in her. She was a shiztu/poodle/toy fox terrier mix.

I'm curious if the Shiztu-poodle mixes shed...they're so cute.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,833 times
Hi Carolyn,

Sounds like you're ready for a new furry companion! I wish you all the best on your search. It's gonna be great!

As far as exercise, I can tell you that toy poodles generally are not high maintenance in that regard. We've had six of them to date. We picked the size specifically because we used to live in the city where both indoor and outdoor spaces were limited. I know some breeds really need a good run daily or need to be in a doggy daycare atmosphere to get exhausted - that's not the case with toy poodles. You should be fine with a good 30 min walk daily, maybe even less depending on the dog. Our smallest one, for instance, would be perfectly fine with just playing indoors most days with the occasional outdoor adventure once a week.

That being said, I would stick to a smaller toy poodle, though. We currently have one that is on the larger end of the range at 13 lbs (he's really more like a small Miniature Poodle) and he requires a LOT of exercise. He needs a good run daily (thankfully we live in a farm), hour long weekday walks, and longer hikes on weekends.

When you talk to prospective breeders, please be open about any lifestyle concerns. A good breeder will match you with the right dog based on many considerations, including activity level.

A couple of things I want to point out, though: 1) I'm sure you've read about this by now - poodles are a very intelligent breed. They will need intellectual stimulation via ongoing training, puzzles, etc. 2) I would not recommend the Toy size for a household with young kids. They are simply too delicate for that and they fear fast-moving small humans (they find them unpredictable so it causes stress).

Please feel free to ask additional questions. If you're in Central NJ, please also feel free to stop by our farm and play with the doggies to see if you're comfortable with the breed.

Happy Holidays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolynjoy View Post
Thank you so much for your advice, I appreciate it so much! I will definitely reach out to Watchung Mountain Poodle Club. Hopefully we can find a puppy through them that's perfect for us. It's great to get a recommendation like this since you've had experience with the club. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your poodles...we're learning in the past couple months how hard it is to lose a dog. We definitely lost a big part of our family. Can't wait to love a new dog soon.

It's very encouraging to hear that your mother-in-law can handle being around your poodles despite her allergies! This is definitely a bit stressful to try and find a dog I won't react to but keeping my fingers crossed I'll be fine with the breed.

I hope you don't mind another question but how energetic are your toy poodles? I can definitely give a dog some daily exercise but I won't be able to go for very long walks every single day. I'm hoping they will be a good fit for me.

Thanks again for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: