Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 09:59 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times

Advertisements

i was actually aware of this because a coworker of mine has a relative that has worked on road projects in nyc. the city government intentionally ensures that road projects do not improve traffic for cars so that more people are pushed towards public transit. nice to see an article exposing this knowledge to more people.

The real reason for New York City's traffic nightmare | New York Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 10:24 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Manhattan is not somewhere to drive to imo.

It's an old city that was not designed for cars in the first place. Too many people, traffic has always been terrible and there is no way for them to have made driving in Manhattan tolerable, at least during weekdays

Old 12-04-2016, 10:32 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
You know what sucks about that (if true), and this may seem like an insignificant thing to point out in the grand scheme of things, but NYC has some world class hospitals that people from all over the world let alone country/region/metro will go to for surgeries and treatments, and intentionally creating traffic so people will take mass transit sucks for those people.

I had a family member require a serious surgery in the city and know others who get cancer treatment there. No way are we putting sick and vulnerable people on subways or buses and in cabs, when they're not feeling well and/or are going in for a surgery. It's stressful enough when you're going to be having major surgery or treatment, and knowing you could and probably will face traffic that can make you miss your scheduled time just adds to the stress. I live 20 miles from Manhattan and my family thought it best to get a hotel and stay in the city while my family member was in the hospital to avoid these issues.

Again, it probably seems insignificant to people but this is something I thought of as someone who has had to deal with getting in and out of the city with people who have had major surgery and treatments. It sucks knowing the city intentionally makes traffic worse.

And what about those being rushed to hospitals in ambulances? Fires? Other situations requiring rapid emergency response? I get that since almost all of NYC is an island, traffic will be bad regardless, but hearing a report like this (while honestly not surprising) is annoying.

And they want people to use mass transit but keep raising fares and using the antiquated metro card system. Half the time I slide those stupid things they don't work. It's like an art. You have to slide it at the perfect speed. I've seen people jump turnstiles or go through the handicapped entrance gate because their metro cards won't work. They should at least use the card readers the PATH uses. Those are way better.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:42 AM

968 posts, read 1,141,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You know what sucks about that (if true), and this may seem like an insignificant thing to point out in the grand scheme of things, but NYC has some world class hospitals that people from all over the world let alone country/region/metro will go to for surgeries and treatments, and intentionally creating traffic so people will take mass transit sucks for those people.

I had a family member require a serious surgery in the city and know others who get cancer treatment there. No way are we putting sick and vulnerable people on subways or buses and in cabs, when they're not feeling well and/or are going in for a surgery. It's stressful enough when you're going to be having major surgery or treatment, and knowing you could and probably will face traffic that can make you miss your scheduled time just adds to the stress. I live 20 miles from Manhattan and my family thought it best to get a hotel and stay in the city while my family member was in the hospital to avoid these issues.

Again, it probably seems insignificant to people but this is something I thought of as someone who has had to deal with getting in and out of the city with people who have had major surgery and treatments. It sucks knowing the city intentionally makes traffic worse.

And what about those being rushed to hospitals in ambulances? Fires? Other situations requiring rapid emergency response? I get that since almost all of NYC is an island, traffic will be bad regardless, but hearing a report like this (while honestly not surprising) is annoying.

And they want people to use mass transit but keep raising fares and using the antiquated metro card system. Half the time I slide those stupid things they don't work. It's like an art. You have to slide it at the perfect speed. I've seen people jump turnstiles or go through the handicapped entrance gate because their metro cards won't work. They should at least use the card readers the PATH uses. Those are way better.
This! +10000! Really, city officials look at the whole picture here! This is truly disgraceful.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:51 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i was actually aware of this because a coworker of mine has a relative that has worked on road projects in nyc. the city government intentionally ensures that road projects do not improve traffic for cars so that more people are pushed towards public transit. nice to see an article exposing this knowledge to more people.

The real reason for New York City's traffic nightmare | New York Post
This is news? The city's anti-car attitude is pretty well-known. The problem is that cars are _so_ useful that to make public transit more attractive requires a very significant destruction of the utility of cars.

Of course, public transit is pretty terrible too. Them messing up the roads makes the buses worse. The subways only go certain places (and the Lexington Avenue lines are hell), and they love to cut service.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:32 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,132,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

Lot of people are sick and can't afford cars or cars for loved ones. I find your statement condescending. As unbelievable as it is to you, other people have sick relatives and no choice BUT to make them take public transportation.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:30 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,774 times
I'd kinda take anything in the Post with a grain of salt. The article did say 45,000 less cars come into the city compared to 2010. It says pedestrian deaths are on an "uptick", but how great compared to how many more estimated pedestrians?
That's why I'm a little leery of the Post's articles. Manhattan is crowded, a picture in the article is Canal St, it's always been packed. Any construction and forget about it, try getting into the Lincoln Tunnel at 8pm when one tube is closed. You're lucky if you can go 10 blocks in an hour.

Old 12-04-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
Lot of people are sick and can't afford cars or cars for loved ones. I find your statement condescending. As unbelievable as it is to you, other people have sick relatives and no choice BUT to make them take public transportation.
No need to be offended and find my post condescending. I simply said that many people who are going in for surgery or are somehow immunocompromised, or are handicapped, may not want to and maybe should not use mass transit. Many people may feel more comfortable in their own cars, and that's something that I can understand.

Funny that you are being condescending to me. It's not unbelievable to me that some of those with sick relatives take mass transit. I actually have family that DOES take mass transit into the city for appointments (but not for treatments or surgery). I was speaking mostly from personal experience. Those coming from out of state (and many do go to NYC from all over for various treatments) may not want to use mass transit and may understandably prefer to use a car for many reasons.

Strange that you would take my post so personally but whatever. I guess this is how it is in the society of the perpetually offended. I will be more careful next time to avoid potentially offending people who take what I say (and prefaced that many would probably not see it as a big deal) as condescending.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:01 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
its funny how people always take ideological positions based on whether or not they are pro car or pro public transportation. thats not the problem here. if the city wants to intentionally create more traffic, it should do it while being open about it. government shouldnt be allowed to keep secrets from the public.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its funny how people always take ideological positions based on whether or not they are pro car or pro public transportation. thats not the problem here. if the city wants to intentionally create more traffic, it should do it while being open about it. government shouldnt be allowed to keep secrets from the public.
The thing is though, I doubt anyone is surprised to hear something like this coming out of a state/city like NY. I'm really not surprised that they would try to hide something like this, if it is true. Does that make it right? Obviously not. But you're talking to people who live in NJ - one of the most corrupt states in America. This type of s*it, not surprising. And people will complain about corruption and this type of thing all over yet keep voting for the same people over and over...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey