Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 03:53 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,900,273 times

Advertisements

What towns (preferably close to NYC) would you guys recommend for nightlife that caters to the Latin crowd? I already know of upper Manhattan and Queens in NYC, but honestly I was underwhelmed when I tried out these neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 04:00 PM

19,115 posts, read 25,309,475 times
You need to start trolling the bars/clubs/restaurants that are located in Union City, West New York, Guttenberg, and...possibly...North Bergen.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:09 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
What towns (preferably close to NYC) would you guys recommend for nightlife that caters to the Latin crowd? I already know of upper Manhattan and Queens in NYC, but honestly I was underwhelmed when I tried out these neighborhoods.
You went to every spot in these neighborhoods? This is a really vague question though. You can find a "Latin crowd" at many different types of spots. Are you looking for a club? Salsa/Meringue? Lounge? Sports bar? Older or Younger scene? Upscale?

Basically, don't search by neighborhood, search by venue. That will probably make it easier for you to find whatever you are looking for.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
You went to every spot in these neighborhoods? This is a really vague question though. You can find a "Latin crowd" at many different types of spots. Are you looking for a club? Salsa/Meringue? Lounge? Sports bar? Older or Younger scene? Upscale?

Basically, don't search by neighborhood, search by venue. That will probably make it easier for you to find whatever you are looking for.
Thanks for the reasoned response. I live in Manhattan and usually go out here, but I'm now looking to venture out - I already made a post about this about a year or so ago in the New York forum but didn't get too many leads.

I'm looking for a younger crowd (20s to 30s), and ideally a neighborhood with more than just one or two places to hang out at. If you've ever been to the Lower East Side in Manhattan, or the East Village or the Meatpacking district, you'll know what I mean. That's why I'm asking about "places" as opposed to specific venues - I don't want to drive out all the way and get stuck at one venue in case I don't happen to like it.

Loungers/clubs/upscale bars would be ideal. Sports bars...there's so many of them here as it is :-/

I recently ended up at Elizabeth, NJ for a few hours. Walking around I noticed a number of restaurants with some cute Latin women. It was early evening on a weekend and I didn't stay long, plus that whole neighborhood didn't look very upscale. But I wonder if it's a good place to party late on Friday/Saturday nights...

Old 12-18-2016, 04:30 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
You need to start trolling the bars/clubs/restaurants that are located in Union City, West New York, Guttenberg, and...possibly...North Bergen.

I could see why you would give this advice based on the demographics of those towns, but this is the wrong advice. Any bars/clubs in this area that caters to the Latino population usually caters to people who likely only speak Spanish. Being that OP posed this question here and in English,i would guess he's looking for places that host Latin nights but have American born women of Latin American descent.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reasoned response. I live in Manhattan and usually go out here, but I'm now looking to venture out - I already made a post about this about a year or so ago in the New York forum but didn't get too many leads.

I'm looking for a younger crowd (20s to 30s), and ideally a neighborhood with more than just one or two places to hang out at. If you've ever been to the Lower East Side in Manhattan, or the East Village or the Meatpacking district, you'll know what I mean. That's why I'm asking about "places" as opposed to specific venues - I don't want to drive out all the way and get stuck at one venue in case I don't happen to like it.

Loungers/clubs/upscale bars would be ideal. Sports bars...there's so many of them here as it is :-/

I recently ended up at Elizabeth, NJ for a few hours. Walking around I noticed a number of restaurants with some cute Latin women. It was early evening on a weekend and I didn't stay long, plus that whole neighborhood didn't look very upscale. But I wonder if it's a good place to party late on Friday/Saturday nights...
Ah ok. Its been a while since i partied in Elizabeth so i will let others comment on specific areas there. The only other area outside NYC where you could truly go and have many options that i can think of is the Ironbound in Newark. Would be easy to get to via PATH train. And there are a lot of Portuguese and Brazilian bars, lounges and clubs. Definitely worth checking out if you havent been..

Old 12-18-2016, 04:37 PM

19,115 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I could see why you would give this advice based on the demographics of those towns, but this is the wrong advice. Any bars/clubs in this area that cater(s) sic to the Latino population usually cater(s) sic to people who likely only speak Spanish. Being that OP posed this question here and in English,i sic would guess he's looking for places that host Latin nights but have American born women of Latin American descent.
Maybe yes, maybe no.
Without clarification of intent from the OP...Quien sabe?

Old 12-18-2016, 04:39 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
Quote:
If you like Latinas and you've been on Dyckman in Washington Heights/Inwood, I don't see how you could be underwhelmed. La Marina, Dyckman Bar, and Mamajuana are just some of the places on that strip that were pretty good places just a few years back when I was routinely frequenting that scene. They've since added a Don Coqui which I hear is pretty good for both dinner and night life. All these places are better in the summertime (especially La Marina). It's been a good 3-4 years since I've been around there but I can't imagine it's changed all that much.

If you insist on coming to Jersey from NYC for night life (as absurd as that sounds) check out latinopulse.com for some places to go on any given night. 46 Lounge in Totowa was always pretty solid.

Old 12-18-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
If you like Latinas and you've been on Dyckman in Washington Heights/Inwood, I don't see how you could be underwhelmed. La Marina, Dyckman Bar, and Mamajuana are just some of the places on that strip that were pretty good places just a few years back when I was routinely frequenting that scene. They've since added a Don Coqui which I hear is pretty good for both dinner and night life. All these places are better in the summertime (especially La Marina). It's been a good 3-4 years since I've been around there but I can't imagine it's changed all that much.

If you insist on coming to Jersey from NYC for night life (as absurd as that sounds) check out latinopulse.com for some places to go on any given night. 46 Lounge in Totowa was always pretty solid.
I've been to Dyckman Ave and even to those bars you mentioned, and like I said...not impressed. I usually go to the LES/EV/Meatpacking and if you've been there you know there's a gazillion options all next door or a few minutes from each other. It wasn't like that at all on Dyckman, most places were pretty spread out. Also all in all I think there were just 4 or so places, so unless there's some secret map showing where more places are, I'm not sure you can even call that area a proper nightlife destination.

The reason I've become curious about NJ for Latin nightlife is because of this map that I came across:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-race-map.html

Outside of Hoboken, it's clear there are many Hispanics in NJ.

Appreciate the info about latinopulse - I'll be checking that out!

Last edited by ElysianEagle; 12-18-2016 at 05:28 PM..

Old 12-18-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
I've been to Dyckman Ave and even to those bars you mentioned, and like I said...not impressed. I usually go to the LES/EV/Meatpacking and if you've been there you know there's a gazillion options all next door or a few minutes from each other. It wasn't like that at all on Dyckman, most places were pretty spread out. Also all in all I think there were just 4 or so places, so unless there's some secret map showing where more places are, I'm not sure you can even call that area a proper nightlife destination.

The reason I've become curious about NJ for Latin nightlife is because of this map that I came across from the 2010 census:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-race-map.html

Outside of Hoboken, it's clear there are many Hispanics in NJ.

Appreciate the info about latinopulse - I'll be checking that out!
yea but trust me, they are all going into the city if they can help it.

Anyway, def check out Ironbound like i said. Adega Lounge is a good spot in walking distance from Penn Station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey