Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 01:06 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,232,697 times

Advertisements

Absolutely HATE, HATE, HATE it when some people do this. Makes the air suffocatingly smokey. Burns my eyes, makes me cough and jeopardizing our health.

We ban indoor smoking but somehow allow people to create smoke that pollutes the air for miles all around. Fresh, clean air is already on short supply here in NJ, do we really need to make things worse by burning wood?

All because some people want to save a few bucks on their heating bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 07:41 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Some people aren't saving money, but just enjoying a fireplace. I like the smell of burning wood, but when I first smell it, a little alarm goes off because I had a house fire once, and it brings that back. It's just a second, then I'm OK.

Then again, I'm a former smoker who still enjoys the smell of cigarettes--outside only.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:10 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,152,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Absolutely HATE, HATE, HATE it when some people do this. Makes the air suffocatingly smokey. Burns my eyes, makes me cough and jeopardizing our health.

We ban indoor smoking but somehow allow people to create smoke that pollutes the air for miles all around. Fresh, clean air is already on short supply here in NJ, do we really need to make things worse by burning wood?

Are you sure the smoke you smelled was from a chimney and not a brush fire? There are houses in my neighborhood that burn wood and I can rarely smell it. A couple residential chimneys is not going to cause smoke "for miles all around". If the people are burning leaves or other brush in their backyards, then that is considered "open burning" and is illegal in most places.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:46 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
My wife and I LOVE using our fireplace in the winter. And we do it just for the enjoyment, not for heat.

I wouldn't buy a house without a fireplace.

I also like splitting the wood with a maul in the spring and summer. Something cathartic about it.

OP, you're the first person I've ever seen so hostile to it.

We have enough laws in NJ.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:04 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,245,407 times
Quote:

Traffic jams that occur everyday in NJ are bad for our health. Lawn mowers are especially bad. Live downwind side of a busy road?

Fireplace and wood stove smoke is not 'smokey' and they burn clear, smell nice.

Unless you are standing around a campfire downwind and burning paper, plastic coated copper wire or green brush there is no heavy smoke.

"The Ringelmann scale is a scale for measuring the apparent density of Smoke. It was developed by Maximilien Ringelmann of La Station d'Essais de Machines in Paris in 1888. It has a 5 levels of density inferred from a grid of black lines on a white surface which, if viewed from a distance, merge into known shades of grey."

Old 12-29-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Are you sure the smoke you smelled was from a chimney and not a brush fire? There are houses in my neighborhood that burn wood and I can rarely smell it. A couple residential chimneys is not going to cause smoke "for miles all around". If the people are burning leaves or other brush in their backyards, then that is considered "open burning" and is illegal in most places.
No, it's not burning leaves or brush fire. The smokey smell only happens when it gets cold. For instance, when it was 60° the other day, no smokey smell. At night when it gets colder, it comes back.

I also see the piles of chopped wood in some people's backyards (under a tarp to keep them dry).

If the smokey air is so pervasive, then obviously there are more than a couple of homes doing it.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
My wife and I LOVE using our fireplace in the winter. And we do it just for the enjoyment, not for heat.

I wouldn't buy a house without a fireplace.

I also like splitting the wood with a maul in the spring and summer. Something cathartic about it.

OP, you're the first person I've ever seen so hostile to it.

We have enough laws in NJ.
There's no way I'm the only person who hates the smell of smoke in the air, who would rather breathe in smokey air than fresh clean air. Please.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:14 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:

what right do you figure "we" have to tell someone not to burn wood in their homes? do you claim that america is a free country or do you understand that is a lie and you prefer it that way?

Old 12-29-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Traffic jams that occur everyday in NJ are bad for our health. Lawn mowers are especially bad. Live downwind side of a busy road?

Fireplace and wood stove smoke is not 'smokey' and they burn clear, smell nice.

Unless you are standing around a campfire downwind and burning paper, plastic coated copper wire or green brush there is no heavy smoke.

"The Ringelmann scale is a scale for measuring the apparent density of Smoke. It was developed by Maximilien Ringelmann of La Station d'Essais de Machines in Paris in 1888. It has a 5 levels of density inferred from a grid of black lines on a white surface which, if viewed from a distance, merge into known shades of grey."
Just because there are other types of pollutions does not mean the pollution from the burning is good for you. There is no way you can ever convince me that the smoke from burning wood is good or doesn't harm your lungs, cardiovascular/respiratory system in some way.

I think you inconsiderate people burn wood and are just trying to justify it.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what right do you figure "we" have to tell someone not to burn wood in their homes? do you claim that america is a free country or do you understand that is a lie and you prefer it that way?
For real? We have a ton of laws regulating what you can or can't do in your home. You act like this is anything unusual or out-of-place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: