U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-02-2017, 11:42 AM
 
38 posts, read 30,279 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am looking with a friend for a 2 bedroom under $1500. After not finding anything downtown Newark, I am trying to figure out if this is possible in Jersey City.

Any recommendations? Also, I have previously found on this forum google safety maps that were very useful. I think it was for Essex county. Is there a similar one for Jersey City? I have no idea which areas to avoid and which ones are okay if you use common sense.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2017, 06:36 PM
 
1,320 posts, read 3,498,274 times
Reputation: 800
Jersey City is more expensive than Newark so answer is no. Unless you meant $3000 for 2bed. Then check JSQ. Good luck.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2017, 01:08 AM
 
Location: Rutherford
380 posts, read 1,094,545 times
Reputation: 119
My favorite part of JC was Hamilton Park. There is an enclave near Journal Square that's safe and commutable. I seem to recall it's called the Magnolia (?). We almost bought a house there. But no, I don't see you nabbing a 2-BR for $1500. You will need to make a 1-BR work or look elsewhere. Maybe Union City, Lyndhurst, Secaucus or West NY.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2017, 09:02 AM
 
Location: NYC area
495 posts, read 375,066 times
Reputation: 820
Not sure about $1500, but check JC heights. It's up and coming, I think....several safe areas. Someone here on CD recently said the western side of the Heights is super safe.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2017, 12:50 PM
 
200 posts, read 89,423 times
Reputation: 239
I ran a search on apartments.com (don't know if this is actually a good resource) and found plenty of 2 bedrooms in Newark for less than 1.5k. They are bordering East Orange and Irvington so they are probably in a terrible area. Also several in JC and surrounding areas. But Newark in general is definitely not safe so I'd avoid it. Bayonne might be a better bet depending on where you are working according to city data crime index.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2017, 05:58 PM
 
38 posts, read 30,279 times
Reputation: 14
Thanks everyone. I see some apartments under $1,500 in McGinley Square area, right below Journal Square. Unsafe?

Plenty of two bedrooms in Newark but in more sketchy areas. Also, roommate prefers walking distances to PATH or light rail.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2017, 06:44 AM
 
Location: NYC area
495 posts, read 375,066 times
Reputation: 820
I have a friend who lives in McGinley square and has no issues. Having said that, she feels she needs to be cautious walking alone at night. She actually has a car and will often drive somewhere at night and deal with the parking issues rather than walk alone. But that's out of an abundance of caution and if you don't want to have a car, you can always uber in the situations when you are coming home alone late at night.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2017, 06:57 AM
 
Location: NJ
502 posts, read 676,929 times
Reputation: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp2157 View Post
Thanks everyone. I see some apartments under $1,500 in McGinley Square area, right below Journal Square. Unsafe?

Plenty of two bedrooms in Newark but in more sketchy areas. Also, roommate prefers walking distances to PATH or light rail.
McGinley is quite safe through maybe Fairview as long as you stay really close to JFK (don't go too far towards Bergen). Obviously the closer towards JSQ you are, the better.

The new park on Fairview and JFK really has done a lot to entice families to move into that direction and clean up that area. A year or two ago, I would have said to stay north of Montgomery.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2017, 10:00 AM
 
38 posts, read 30,279 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
I have a friend who lives in McGinley square and has no issues. Having said that, she feels she needs to be cautious walking alone at night. She actually has a car and will often drive somewhere at night and deal with the parking issues rather than walk alone. But that's out of an abundance of caution and if you don't want to have a car, you can always uber in the situations when you are coming home alone late at night.
Thanks. Luckily I have a car and am a male used to living in similar settings. It can't be too much worse than living in Newark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiggleWiggle View Post
McGinley is quite safe through maybe Fairview as long as you stay really close to JFK (don't go too far towards Bergen). Obviously the closer towards JSQ you are, the better.

The new park on Fairview and JFK really has done a lot to entice families to move into that direction and clean up that area. A year or two ago, I would have said to stay north of Montgomery.
I will have to check that out. I'm a bit confused, do you mean Bergen Ave or the Bergen/Lafayette area?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2017, 10:10 AM
 
Location: NJ
502 posts, read 676,929 times
Reputation: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp2157 View Post
Thanks. Luckily I have a car and am a male used to living in similar settings. It can't be too much worse than living in Newark.



I will have to check that out. I'm a bit confused, do you mean Bergen Ave or the Bergen/Lafayette area?
Bergen Ave. You have to cross Bergen Ave and go south east to hit Bergen/Lafayette... that's a crap hole you do NOT want to be in after sunset.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top