Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:29 PM

3 posts, read 6,326 times

Advertisements

Hi all
I am looking for a safe and clean city to live between edison and nyc. We are young married couple, no kids and not looking fwd to buy any house.

Wify is going to work in edison and I need to commute to nyc. Any suggestions of best cities and/or apartments to live at between edison and NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 09:51 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
west orange, montclair,clifton?

ft lee, palisades park (doesn't get cleaner) - but there's not train stop and at least 30 mins to edison

Old 05-10-2012, 10:16 PM

3 posts, read 6,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post

ft lee, palisades park (doesn't get cleaner) - but there's not train stop and at least 30 mins to edison
Wife needs to drive to work to Edison so looking for something that is within 15-20 mins of edison.
I don't mind commuting through train for 1 hr or so.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:47 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:

None of those towns is "between Edison and NYC".
And, as to "at least 30 minutes to Edison" from Ft. Lee, Palisades Park, West Orange, Montclair, and Clifton--unless the OP has a Lear Jet, driving time from any of those places to Edison during traditional commuting hours would be no less than 1 hour.

To my way of thinking, the only really nice, really safe, really clean towns that come to mind are Cranford and Westfield.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:29 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Metuchen comes immediately to mind -- train station, low crime, and actually surrounded by Edison.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

None of those towns is "between Edison and NYC".
And, as to "at least 30 minutes to Edison" from Ft. Lee, Palisades Park, West Orange, Montclair, and Clifton--unless the OP has a Lear Jet, driving time from any of those places to Edison during traditional commuting hours would be no less than 1 hour.

To my way of thinking, the only really nice, really safe, really clean towns that come to mind are Cranford and Westfield.
yeah, but who wants to live in cranford and westfield if you're not from the area? i was trying to pick vibrant towns

otherwise i'd say metuchen like nybbler said or woodbridge

Old 05-11-2012, 05:42 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
yeah, but who wants to live in cranford and westfield if you're not from the area?
Well, judging from the demand vs the supply of housing stock in those 2 towns, I would venture to say that lots of folks--no matter where they are currently living--want to live there.

And--where did the OP specify that he and his wife only wanted to live in "vibrant" towns--whatever that means?
In the case of Woodbridge, I believe I know what the "vibrancy" consists of, and...to many people...that "vibrancy" might preclude the OP's safety criterion.

But, in any event, I think that you owed it to the OP to mention that your recommended towns most definitely do NOT fall qualify for the commuting time specified by the OP.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:50 PM

driving-wise, west orange is 30-40 mins (no traffic) both ways

not a bad commute imo

Old 05-11-2012, 06:12 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
W.O. to Edison is an easy drive (but still more like 45 min) when there's no traffic, but it would be a terrible commute. Montclair and Clifton would only be worse. I live in W.O. and we need more married couples with no kids to pay the taxes :-), but I wouldn't recommend it to the original poster.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:17 PM

54 posts, read 208,252 times
We're in the same situation. Cranford, Westfield, and Maplewood/South Orange are where we're looking. Metuchen and Rahway might also work for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey