Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Permitting Same-Sex Civil Unions in NJ Detrimentally Impacted Your Quality-of-Life?
Yes 7 13.21%
No 46 86.79%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 12:38 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Hello!

As Pennsylvania now ponders banning same-sex marriages and civil unions and strictly prohibiting various rights of same-sex couples (such as hospital visitation, for example), I was just wondering how NJ's approval of same-sex civil unions has impacted your quality-of-life. Is your family now suffering as a result of same-sex couples engaging in civil unions? Do you feel threatened? How has your happiness been diminished?

A lot of Pennsylvanians are supporting this proposed amendment to our state consitution to permanently ban same-sex rights, and I was just wondering if there was any credibility to their fears that permitting same-sex couples to engage in civil unions would destroy our state's quality-of-life. If not, then why do people still oppose civil unions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 12:47 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
I just have a quick suggestion for a change to the poll. Perhaps the options should be

Yes (in a positive way)
Yes (in a negative way)
No

I would select "Yes" but don't want my vote to be interpreted as though I'm saying it has affected me in a bad way.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:50 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,253 times
Doesn't effect me at all. I'm not offended by it, I do support it.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:27 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
no effect whatsoever. i wholeheartily support it...my favorite line is "gay couples have the right to be just as miserable as hetero couples", LMAO.

considering the hetero divorce rate is 50%, it's not like we have it all figured out, LOL.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:20 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
no effect whatsoever. i wholeheartily support it...my favorite line is "gay couples have the right to be just as miserable as hetero couples", LMAO.

considering the hetero divorce rate is 50%, it's not like we have it all figured out, LOL.
lol..what was it that Robin Williams said in that movie - the one where he was running for President..."anyone who has been married long enough knows it's always the same sex anyway".

Old 03-02-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
lol..what was it that Robin Williams said in that movie - the one where he was running for President..."anyone who has been married long enough knows it's always the same sex anyway".
Man of the Year?

Old 03-02-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Man of the Year?
Yes, that's the one : ) Loved that movie - he had my vote!

Old 03-02-2008, 05:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i like hetero bek its in keeping with my religion, so no internal conflicts with my core beliefs,
if i chose gay, im religious, so you would suddenly see me doing angry CD posts against religion
all the time, tortured soul stuff, but other than that, if anything, gay marriage would lower divorce rates.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
i like hetero bek its in keeping with my religion, so no internal conflicts with my core beliefs,
if i chose gay, im religious, so you would suddenly see me doing angry CD posts against religion
all the time, tortured soul stuff, but other than that, if anything, gay marriage would lower divorce rates.
You know, I never really understood this (and maybe its because I think marriage is religious, and the state should have no say over it anyway, and civil unions are the only thing the state should recognize - and its something entirely different than marriage... and this is now a run on sentence so I'll stop).

In what way can a civil union between same-sex partners be detrimental to your personal beliefs?

Old 03-02-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
bunky..not sure what you mean in your post? Are you saying that you choose to be straight because it is in keeping with your religious beliefs but inside, you feel that you are gay? If true...this drives me nuts! Look what happened to our previous Governor..not so much what he had to go through but what his poor wife had to go through because he could not be true to himself - I'm sure his issue wasn't much different than yours. If you are struggling, I suggest that you seek outside help..not just help from your pastor or priest, but a therapist! Doing the "right thing" because your are being taught that it is the right thing otherwise you'll be going to hell - is wrong! Lying is a much larger sin in my opinion...living a lie..deceiving others is a sin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: