Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2017, 08:01 AM

4 posts, read 3,957 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to purchase a condo in the clifton/Passaic area, 2 of them have been suggested by my realtor - Renaissance manor in Clifton and Carlton Towers in Passaic. Any inputs on these condos, the area, schools, neighborhood and security please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 01:02 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,497,472 times
As far as towns I would pick Clifton over Passaic
That would be for me personally
I don't know those condos specifically

Old 05-12-2017, 01:35 PM

Thank you, I'm leaning towards clifton as well, however the one in Passaic is closer to the train station which is making my decision difficult

Old 05-12-2017, 02:20 PM

527 posts, read 1,408,859 times
As towns go
Clifton over Passaic, hands down

According to City data
Median household income for NJ = 72K
Median household income for Clifton = 65K (51K in year 2000)
Median household income for Passaic = 27K (34K in year 2000)

Old 05-13-2017, 01:37 PM

Thank you

Old 06-02-2017, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,068 times
I live in Passaic Park across from Carlton Tower - here's a detailed overview of the neighborhood and Passaic in general. It's quite a nice neighborhood, just a few blocks from Clifton border. It's a convenient location, with a rail station a couple of blocks away, and NYC buses during weekdays and Saturday stopping right next to Carlton Tower. Carlton Tower is well run with doormen, indoor/outdoor parking, swimming pool, balconies, laundry room and other amenities. There are good views since most of neighborhood is low rise. There is also great diversity in housing to suit everyone's needs. Co-ops in Barry Gardens (also with pool) range from $85-150K. Carlton Tower has a great range of pricing with units from studios to 3-4 bedrooms. Prices as low as $70K - and up to $300K. Houses in the neighborhood are available from high $200Ks to over a million which was cost of a Tudor mansion with private elevator a block from Carlton Tower. There are many rentals - in the Barry Gardens co-op, rental buildings on High Street, Pennington Avenue or Brook Avenue, and in the Towers of Passaic Park (actually one bldg) which is across the street from Carlton Tower. Rentals start around $1100 and up for apartments in the area.

The neighborhood is safe, though quiet. It's has many Orthodox Jewish families, and you'll see that reflected in the shops along Passaic Park's Main Avenue. The neighborhood and city are quite diverse; all races and many ethnicities represented, along with many LGBT residents: in particular Mexican, Peruvian, Indian, Hungarian/Polish communities are present. There are also shops along Van Houten Avenue towards the west, nearby Broadway and close by in Clifton on Route 3, and in Clifton Commons. Schools in Passaic are improving well but have a way to go. There are yeshivas and the well-regarded Collegiate School just steps from Carlton Tower. In Third Ward Park, where the train station is located, there is a lovely lake with a boathouse cafe open daily serving coffee, sandwiches, snacks, baked desserts and beverages. The Park Association is active, hosting book fairs, trivia nights, concerts, a flea market, farmer's market, poetry readings, drum circles, and open mike nights. The park also sees Movies in the Park and a Summer Concert series, both are modest but pleasant. Similar designs are afoot in Second Ward (Columbus) Park, which was recently renovated. Local supermarket options include Gala Fresh Farms (KeyFood), Kosher Konnection, two Shoprites, Compare Foods and C-Town. Area options in Clifton include Corrado's, Stop N Shop, and Aldi.

As for the city of Passaic, it's has great potential it's working to realize. A new masterplan was finally developed - more than a decade late - to transform zoning and design of downtown. Two new condos have been built downtown, and the Bank Building (Art Deco tower downtown) is being redeveloped to house a restaurant, a multilevel Blink Fitness above, and offices on remaining floors. Passaic has some entertainment - bars and nightclubs (both respectable and seedy), though needs its own cinemas, more upscale restaurants, shops, etc. In addition to shopping on Main Avenue, ethnic restaurants abound: Peruvian, Mexican, Cuban, Seville (Andalusian), Indian/Pakistani, Kosher, and Puerto Rican, plus the usual fast food chains. It can use more upscale dining, or simply for some of the eateries to change their ambiance with subtle lighting and quality furnishings.

I'll sum up Passaic Park as a sleepy, clean safe neighborhood in a city which has gritty edges but working hard to polish itself. It's been tarnished by corruption of two consecutive mayors in the last decade, it does have crime in downtown and northern/western wards. Because many parts and people in Passaic are poor with all the types of statistics which follow, more affluent Passaic Park section is often overlooked. The entire city is walkable - sidewalks everywhere, hilly topography, historic buildings and bikeable (though we need bike lanes).

It's different than Clifton which is a larger city and overall more "suburban" in character with much more shopping and entertainment. It's more spread out than Passaic and some areas require a car. It does have decent public transportation. Whichever location you select you'll be near many services and about 10 miles from NYC. You are also in a region where towns like Montclair, Rutherford and Wallington are close giving more options to serve your needs.
Good luck on your home search and welcome to Passaic County - wherever you settle!

Last edited by PassaicGuy; 06-02-2017 at 03:06 PM..

Old 06-04-2017, 11:17 AM

5,153 posts, read 3,760,274 times
Passaic Park is not Passaic proper. Much safer. I would go for Clifton over Passaic hands down.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:37 PM

111 posts, read 91,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kram23 View Post
I'm looking to purchase a condo in the clifton/Passaic area, 2 of them have been suggested by my realtor - Renaissance manor in Clifton and Carlton Towers in Passaic. Any inputs on these condos, the area, schools, neighborhood and security please?
Did you end up buying a condo in Carlton Towers? I am looking there now and would appreciate any feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey