Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 11:36 AM

5 posts, read 2,203 times

Advertisements

Hello I am considering a move to the east coast particularly the New Jersey area from the midwest, I have a few questions:

One of the reasons for the move....its just simply time for a change!

1. I am currently looking at apartments in the east orange area, what are some nice apartments for a 1 bedroom under $1,000 that's near the brick church train station. I have heard nothing but terrible things about Newark so I am going to avoid that area.

2. I will be attending school (keeping my fingers cross to get into grad school) and possibly working at Rutgers University in Newark. If I take the train from brick church in east orange, where does it get off at near rutgers?

3. What will a monthly train pass cost?

4. What are some great companies to work for besides Rutgers that pays well I would even consider an administrative assistant job either in east orange or newark.

5. What is the cheapest way to ship your items Fedex, USPS or UPS?

Also I am single woman so this would be hopefully a fairly easy move. I will only ship my clothes, shoes and a few important personal items. Anything that doesn't sell will be donated.

This is my first post so THANK YOU to those who take the time to reply and give me any helpful tips and advice. I truly appreciate it.

Last edited by ms1981; 03-10-2017 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 12:37 PM

4,038 posts, read 3,706,001 times
If you've heard bad things about Newark, you will hear worse things about East Orange.

$1000 will not get you a very desirable place to live anywhere in the NYC metro area. It sounds like you don't have a job lined up and you have not yet been accepted into grad school. It might be best to get those things sorted out before deciding where to live, or better yet, go to grad school in a lower cost of living area and then move here when you're ready to begin your career.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:16 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,898,557 times
If I was to move to New York because it was time for a change I'd want to crash on any friend's couches that I could until I got a job. Once I had a job I'd then look into taking my $1000 a month and then find some roommates.

Then apply to grad school and figure out where to live in NJ.

If, instead, I wanted to go to grad school because it was time for a change, I'd apply to grad school and then only after I got in, look into where I'd move.

You're going to have to prove that you can bring in $1,000 a month before any landlord or roommate is going to even let you fill out an application. Expect a credit check every time you apply for any place as well, and, well, without a job or student loans you're not going to get any place to live.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:28 PM

156 posts, read 165,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms1981 View Post
Hello I am considering a move to the east coast particularly the New Jersey area from the midwest, I have a few questions:

One of the reasons for the move....its just simply time for a change!

1. I am currently looking at apartments in the east orange area, what are some nice apartments for a 1 bedroom under $1,000 that's near the brick church train station. I have heard nothing but terrible things about Newark so I am going to avoid that area.

2. I will be attending school (keeping my fingers cross to get into grad school) and possibly working at Rutgers University in Newark. If I take the train from brick church in east orange, where does it get off at near rutgers?

3. What will a monthly train pass cost?

4. What are some great companies to work for besides Rutgers that pays well I would even consider an administrative assistant job either in east orange or newark.

5. What is the cheapest way to ship your items Fedex, USPS or UPS?

Also I am single woman so this would be hopefully a fairly easy move. I will only ship my clothes, shoes and a few important personal items. Anything that doesn't sell will be donated.

This is my first post so THANK YOU to those who take the time to reply and give me any helpful tips and advice. I truly appreciate it.
Stay away from Newark I live there and it is a dump. Has some of the worst slums this country has to offer comparable or worse than Detroit.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:58 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,756,197 times
If you are open to having roommates, as many who are in grad school do in this area, then you should be able to find a room somewhere near a trainstation or bus that can get you to rutgers newark. You may actually consider newark. There are areas of newark that are much nicer than many areas of east orange.

But yea, understand that you arent going to likely find a 1br under 1000 in any place that is desirable.

Old 03-11-2017, 12:46 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,243,807 times
The area around Brick Church station continues to improve. I know several people who moved from "good" (but expensive) towns into apartment buildings in that area. My friends report that there's a large police presence and they feel secure. Great access to the train, although there's still not much shopping or eating out in that area.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:19 AM

115 posts, read 147,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyDevil679 View Post
Stay away from Newark I live there and it is a dump. Has some of the worst slums this country has to offer comparable or worse than Detroit.
Before you (OP) take heed to the advice/recommendations of others (such as the above), I would suggest that you 1.) visit Newark (if possible) -- there are very nice areas of Newark; however, your budget will likely limit your options (unless you consider a roommate); 2.) do a few searches on this site as well as in the news more generally to see what has been written about Newark; 3.) Remember that Newark (like any big city) has many different sections. To listen to someone who tells you to "stay away from Newark" would be akin to listening to someone who tells you to "stay away from Brooklyn" or to "stay away from Chicago." That is, it makes no sense -- you can't paint ALL of Brooklyn or ALL of Chicago with such broad strokes. The best (and, most rationale) move (for ANY city) would be to consider areas of the city that you (and, others) are likely to find desirable. Best wishes.

Last edited by madsheb; 03-11-2017 at 07:29 AM..

Old 03-11-2017, 07:30 AM

863 posts, read 988,167 times
if you are not African American I would seriously reconsider East Orange.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
The area around Brick Church station continues to improve. I know several people who moved from "good" (but expensive) towns into apartment buildings in that area. My friends report that there's a large police presence and they feel secure. Great access to the train, although there's still not much shopping or eating out in that area.
Thank you, as long as there are grocery stores near by I am fine. I do the majority of my shopping online.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsheb View Post
Before you (OP) take heed to the advice/recommendations of others (such as the above), I would suggest that you 1.) visit Newark (if possible) -- there are very nice areas of Newark; however, your budget will likely limit your options (unless you consider a roommate); 2.) do a few searches on this site as well as in the news more generally to see what has been written about Newark; 3.) Remember that Newark (like any big city) has many different sections. To listen to someone who tells you to "stay away from Newark" would be akin to listening to someone who tells you to "stay away from Brooklyn" or to "stay away from Chicago." That is, it makes no sense -- you can't paint ALL of Brooklyn or ALL of Chicago with such broad strokes. The best (and, most rationale) move (for ANY city) would be to consider areas of the city that you (and, others) are likely to find desirable. Best wishes.
Will do, thank you for the best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey