Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 07:34 PM

5 posts, read 2,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
If I was to move to New York because it was time for a change I'd want to crash on any friend's couches that I could until I got a job. Once I had a job I'd then look into taking my $1000 a month and then find some roommates.

Then apply to grad school and figure out where to live in NJ.

If, instead, I wanted to go to grad school because it was time for a change, I'd apply to grad school and then only after I got in, look into where I'd move.

You're going to have to prove that you can bring in $1,000 a month before any landlord or roommate is going to even let you fill out an application. Expect a credit check every time you apply for any place as well, and, well, without a job or student loans you're not going to get any place to live.
I can prove the income, I have a very high credit store in the 800s. No criminal history. I have great credit and great employment history. Thank you for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 07:38 PM

5 posts, read 2,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
If you've heard bad things about Newark, you will hear worse things about East Orange.

$1000 will not get you a very desirable place to live anywhere in the NYC metro area. It sounds like you don't have a job lined up and you have not yet been accepted into grad school. It might be best to get those things sorted out before deciding where to live, or better yet, go to grad school in a lower cost of living area and then move here when you're ready to begin your career.
I haven't applied to any grad schools yet but I am actually considering getting another bachelors degree (crazy I know) since I have been out of college for several years. Yeah I am willing to stretch my budget just a little to about $1200 but nothing more than that. It doesn't have to be super fancy, its just me and no children. And I don't do the roommate thing been there and don't that before, will never get a roommate again. Thanks for your advice

Old 03-13-2017, 07:56 PM

10,562 posts, read 7,095,916 times
Why not try living in a dorm? Rutgers has dorms for students older then 21 and it ranges of people of all older ages. If you're a white female it's going to be dangerous living in east orange.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:45 AM

280 posts, read 340,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms1981 View Post
I haven't applied to any grad schools yet but I am actually considering getting another bachelors degree (crazy I know) since I have been out of college for several years. Yeah I am willing to stretch my budget just a little to about $1200 but nothing more than that. It doesn't have to be super fancy, its just me and no children. And I don't do the roommate thing been there and don't that before, will never get a roommate again. Thanks for your advice
The thing is you don't really have a choice. No one is saying you're getting something super fancy, that's just the basic price for sharing an apartment. You won't get anything by yourself in a safe area with that budget.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:43 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,883,796 times
Quote:
I can prove the income, I have a very high credit store in the 800s. No criminal history. I have great credit and great employment history. Thank you for your advice.
If you are moving someplace without a job you can't prove the income. Pay stubs from the past month are everything here, not what you have in the bank.

If you are moving to the area without a job you can't prove income. You can prove what you made elsewhere but not what you are going to make in a job you don't currently have.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:52 AM

41 posts, read 47,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodelotus View Post
The thing is you don't really have a choice. No one is saying you're getting something super fancy, that's just the basic price for sharing an apartment. You won't get anything by yourself in a safe area with that budget.
This is accurate. Not to mention your "stretched budget" likely isn't accounting for your electric bill or cable bills which you cannot control in NJ due to the limited companies offering the services. Whatever building you are in may have additional bills like water, garbage, etc., so you need to consider these things too.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:44 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,030,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Why not try living in a dorm? Rutgers has dorms for students older then 21 and it ranges of people of all older ages. If you're a white female it's going to be dangerous living in east orange.
Rutgers Newark's grad housing is very nice. 15 Washington, recently renovated beautiful old building.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:55 AM

88,749 posts, read 85,121,709 times
Quote:
This is confusing. In your first your post, it seems that you don't have a job here. So...how can you 'prove the income' when you don't have any?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey