Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 01:56 AM

7 posts, read 42,432 times

Advertisements

i purchase a house in mullica hill nj almost 1 month ago. since i've moved in, my heating furnace has malfactioned and now the latest one is that i have 4 leaking windows! luckily insurance covered the 700.00 dollar bill to fix the furnace (thank god). i thought my problems were over but here it is 4.00 in the morning, storming pretty bad outside, wake up to check on my little 6 year old and find water everywhere from 4 leaking windows!

when i purchased this 18 year old house, i got an inspection. shouldn't the inspector have noticed these problems!! i called him about the heating unit already and of course he said "it was working when i checked it" but what about the windows now - shouldn't he have noticed the seal was gone??

Also i am thinking about calling my realtor because i'm sure the old owners knew of these problems (especially the windows and didn't disclose the problem. Is there anything i can do at this point legally??? I hate how dishonest people can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 04:27 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Without seeing exactly where/how the water is getting in, it's tough to say whether the inspector "should have seen it". That said, it's highly doubtful that he could have seen the problem if it wasn't raining at the time of inspection, if there was no staining anywhere from previous leaks, and if the seal failure wasn't somehow obvious.

Home inspectors are set up with tons of "weasel words" in their contracts/reports to ensure that you can't pin anything but the most obvious flaws on them. The portion of the report regarding the windows probably simply identifies the material of the window (wood, vinyl, etc), the operation (double hung, casement, etc), and a comment like "appear serviceable). I doubt you're going to get anywhere with the inspector.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:22 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JULIABABY01 View Post
i purchase a house in mullica hill nj almost 1 month ago. since i've moved in, my heating furnace has malfactioned and now the latest one is that i have 4 leaking windows! luckily insurance covered the 700.00 dollar bill to fix the furnace (thank god). i thought my problems were over but here it is 4.00 in the morning, storming pretty bad outside, wake up to check on my little 6 year old and find water everywhere from 4 leaking windows!

when i purchased this 18 year old house, i got an inspection. shouldn't the inspector have noticed these problems!! i called him about the heating unit already and of course he said "it was working when i checked it" but what about the windows now - shouldn't he have noticed the seal was gone??

Also i am thinking about calling my realtor because i'm sure the old owners knew of these problems (especially the windows and didn't disclose the problem. Is there anything i can do at this point legally??? I hate how dishonest people can be.
Like I posted previously just about any existing home, and some new ones, are going to have issues disclosed or not. It is unethical behavior to not disclose material defects but there is very little that protects a buyer from this. In your situation, these are minor fixes, irritating for sure, but just minor out of pocket expenses. No lawyer would take your case and even if one did you can bet the cost of litigation would far exceed whatever it costs to fix these items. When buying a house it is always BUYER BEWARE. You'll have no recourse against inspector unless you can prove stains or damage was visible at the time of the inspection.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:04 AM

316 posts, read 1,249,127 times
Default Insurance ?

Quote:

Do you have a one year home warrenty ? If you do some cover everthing the that the home owners don't .

Old 03-05-2008, 10:29 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
I'm sorry you are going through this.

We're selling our house and so far have fixed everything we know about but I don't doubt other people don't.

If the windows aren't that decent, you might think to add those on your to do list (windows are fairly cheap) then start getting heating guys out before fall to make sure the furnace won't give out on you. We just replaced our furnace that was a few years older then yours. Also be sure to get it serviced at the end of summer, beginning of fall..

Old 03-05-2008, 11:31 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times
Temporary solution - seal the leaky ones from the outside. Grab some plastic, 6mil or so (BobKovacs might have a better recommendation), and some tyvek tape, and do your best to seal them off to prevent water damage from worsening.

In the meantime, like Roselvr said, think about buying new windows. Even if you do get somewhere with a warranty, you'll want to get these taken care of asap, and not wait for an agreement to happen. But first, document *everything*. Take lots of pictures, note the dates of rain, and write down your temporary fixes. Keep all your receipts. Whether you have any options with the home inspector, I don't know, but it can't hurt to try.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:40 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Temporary solution - seal the leaky ones from the outside. Grab some plastic, 6mil or so (BobKovacs might have a better recommendation), and some tyvek tape, and do your best to seal them off to prevent water damage from worsening.

In the meantime, like Roselvr said, think about buying new windows. Even if you do get somewhere with a warranty, you'll want to get these taken care of asap, and not wait for an agreement to happen. But first, document *everything*. Take lots of pictures, note the dates of rain, and write down your temporary fixes. Keep all your receipts. Whether you have any options with the home inspector, I don't know, but it can't hurt to try.
I think you deserve your own TV home show, I know I would watch it!

Old 03-05-2008, 11:45 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marye711 View Post
I think you deserve your own TV home show, I know I would watch it!
Maybe I should tape myself working on my own house, and send it off to This Old House

"Today on Joe's Really Old Home, I'm going to show you how to create a residential video, audio, network, and control system wiring backbone, and then replace a kitchen sink!"

Old 03-05-2008, 11:56 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Maybe I should tape myself working on my own house, and send it off to This Old House

"Today on Joe's Really Old Home, I'm going to show you how to create a residential video, audio, network, and control system wiring backbone, and then replace a kitchen sink!"
Yeah you see? Isnt it a great idea? I have to be listed as co/producer since it was my idea lol Is this old house still on for real?

Old 03-05-2008, 11:57 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:

You're damn right he/she should have caught that. I'd expose this company so that people in this forum don't use them. It would be another matter entirely if the seal wasn't missing, but that should have been observed. That's a horrible job by the inspector IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: