Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 08:09 PM

857 posts, read 835,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Reason 741 not to divorce when you have kids: The ex-spouse gets the kids half the time and might live somewhere you don't like. Reason 955? The ex-wife will eventually have your kid(s) at the dinner table with her new stud. Either one would drive me crazy.
Why would it drive you crazy for the OPs exwife to have dinner with her stud?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 07:29 AM

63 posts, read 116,066 times
Sunny side of Linden is great. Linden is going down hill quick. Clark might be a better fit. I have lived in Jersey city heights and was born and raised in the Bronx. I have never had to call the police as much as I have in this town. Believe me I know ghetto when I see it.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:24 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latinlady View Post
Sunny side of Linden is great. Linden is going down hill quick. Clark might be a better fit. I have lived in Jersey city heights and was born and raised in the Bronx. I have never had to call the police as much as I have in this town. Believe me I know ghetto when I see it.
You just described about 30% of towns in NJ, ghetto and good sides. Surprise that you don't call out JC as I've worked there for 2 years and had to avoid certain parts all the time until things started improving but there are bad elements still lurking around JC. Newark also a big contrast, north is better but south is still bad.

I believe in about 5-10 years many of these towns will be gentrified, there's rapid development in many areas and many NYers are bailing and moving into more affordable NJ towns regardless they are good or bad areas.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:06 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal1 View Post
Why would it drive you crazy for the OPs exwife to have dinner with her stud?
Maybe because some swinging dick that you don't even know will be raising your kid? just a gander

Old 04-12-2017, 08:06 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereitsat42 View Post
So I'm going to be blunt here: I live in Cranford, really nice town, and I am recently divorced and my ex-wife is thinking of living (with my daughter) in Linden. Now, I'm sure there is a "nice" part and all, but everything I've ever seen and heard myself or secondhand about Linden makes me believe it is mostly a hellhole ghetto, and that at some point, my daughter would be going to school with the kids from the crappy, criminal parts of town. Now, if I'm wrong about this I'd like to hear why, but I'm not looking for "it's a multicultural tapestry!" as a reason, I'm more looking for "My tiny white daughter isn't going to be in danger every day of her life in this place." I know some people are going to be offended by this, but I think any parents reading this can appreciate that I'm more concerned with my daughter's safety than people's tender sensibilities. Thoughts?
There's lots of white people in Linden.

http://www.nj.gov/education/pr/2013/39/392660050.pdf

You think you and your daughter are better than them?

If you do, then send her somewhere else...

Old 04-12-2017, 09:13 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
There's lots of white people in Linden.

http://www.nj.gov/education/pr/2013/39/392660050.pdf

You think you and your daughter are better than them?

If you do, then send her somewhere else...
What your link really shows, though, is that the schools aren't on par with most others in the state and OP's daughter probably is better off elsewhere if mom can afford it.

Overall, to me, Linden is not a particularly desirable place to live. But it's not a dangerous place.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:49 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
What your link really shows, though, is that the schools aren't on par with most others in the state and OP's daughter probably is better off elsewhere if mom can afford it.

Overall, to me, Linden is not a particularly desirable place to live. But it's not a dangerous place.
Granted, I'm not a parent, but what's wrong with graduating from Linden High School, going to Union County College, and Kean College, and becoming a teacher or nurse?

That's a totally high probability, realistic outcome if you're a good parent.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChPP1_5XEAA7lXJ.jpg

Can you think of ANY place with a decent amount of (non-Asian) minorities, say 30% or over, that people on CD would consider acceptable for their kids to go to school?

Old 04-12-2017, 10:08 PM

857 posts, read 835,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Maybe because some swinging dick that you don't even know will be raising your kid? just a gander
My kids are allready raised.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:51 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Granted, I'm not a parent, but what's wrong with graduating from Linden High School, going to Union County College, and Kean College, and becoming a teacher or nurse?

That's a totally high probability, realistic outcome if you're a good parent.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChPP1_5XEAA7lXJ.jpg

Can you think of ANY place with a decent amount of (non-Asian) minorities, say 30% or over, that people on CD would consider acceptable for their kids to go to school?
Nothing is wrong with it, I didn't say there was.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:27 AM

862 posts, read 977,031 times
Linden was always the smelly part of the turnpike when I was a kid traveling to shore, smelled terrible back in the 70's and 80's, not so bad nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey