Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 08:14 AM

16 posts, read 30,866 times

Advertisements

Hi,

GreatSchools.org has Cranford HS rated as a 6. What has changed in the town to cause the rating to decrease compared to prior years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 09:12 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,871,849 times
Probably the changing of the overall metrics to incorporate the lack of diversity. Scholastically it's still at an 8.

I'm not at all concerned about a one-year blip (up or down), given the town's PTA involvement and spending on students.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:49 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Probably the changing of the overall metrics to incorporate the lack of diversity. Scholastically it's still at an 8.

I'm not at all concerned about a one-year blip (up or down), given the town's PTA involvement and spending on students.
Just wait til HM builds the 1000 unit complex they want to build that the town can't stop because of absurd AH laws. With all the other recent development, diversity won't be an issue not so far down the line.

This is, after all, the master plan of the state.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:29 AM

123 posts, read 181,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post

It's hardly a one-year blip. Cranford HS has been on a decline for several years now. Anyhow, this has already been discussed:
Any reason Cranford HS has dropped in ratings

Old 10-16-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdjanmax View Post
It's hardly a one-year blip. Cranford HS has been on a decline for several years now. Anyhow, this has already been discussed:
Any reason Cranford HS has dropped in ratings
No it hasn't.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:07 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,259,148 times
I took a look at the most recent report card provided by the state and it looks like poor scores on standardized tests in comparison to like districts is an issue. SAT scores are notable. Not sure what would cause that. Influx of poorly educated students? Subpar teachers? Culture of demphasizing test scores over sports or the arts? Like it or not, test scores matter in college admissions.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:18 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,856 times
Not specific to Cranford, but I hate the way GreatSchools ranks! They use weird diversity calculations, and part of the rankings are based on 'improvement'. One of our nearby schools gets a score of 3 on improvement. Well, duh, if close to 90% of your kids are proficient you're not going to be showing a lot of improvement. Our middle school gets a 6 overall, but a 9 in academics. We get 'penalized' for diversity because we're 78% 'white', which includes the South Asians. I guess culture and language doesn't count toward diversity?

Sorry, rant over.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Not specific to Cranford, but I hate the way GreatSchools ranks! They use weird diversity calculations, and part of the rankings are based on 'improvement'. One of our nearby schools gets a score of 3 on improvement. Well, duh, if close to 90% of your kids are proficient you're not going to be showing a lot of improvement. Our middle school gets a 6 overall, but a 9 in academics. We get 'penalized' for diversity because we're 78% 'white', which includes the South Asians. I guess culture and language doesn't count toward diversity?

Sorry, rant over.
IMO school ranking should be based strictly on academic standards, like test scores, availability of higher level classes, diversity of classes and experiences, quality of teachers, etc. None of this racial or ethnic diversity, "improvement" type of crap. It can be misleading. Most people, when they say "good school," mean academically good. Getting distracted by a slightly lower score because a town is 90% white or something is just stupid and misses the point.

I know people say that diversity is good in learning environments, but it's interesting how that stat will play out in actual scenarios and skew things. People likely mostly care about quality of the education, not how many minorities a town has.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:51 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,646,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

I know people say that diversity is good in learning environments, but it's interesting how that stat will play out in actual scenarios and skew things. People likely mostly care about quality of the education, not how many minorities a town has.

True. Unless you're a minority.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
True. Unless you're a minority.
If I was looking into the best schools of all the areas I was looking at, I'd pick the town with the best schools that I could afford. I don't know what it is about people wanting to be around those who look like them. NJ is more segregated by socioeconomic status than anything. If one can comfortably afford the place they're moving to, it doesn't matter who they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: