Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 09:54 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitter77 View Post
You would be wrong. Can be fired for any non-discriminatory reason.
I know it's not illegal.
But it's unethical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 10:11 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i would say the person isnt performing their job in a satisfactory. i dont fire people when they are doing a great job. but it isnt unusual to try to soften the blow as best possible which gives someone an inaccurate understanding of their performance. for example, brad's wife.
Lmao

Old 03-29-2017, 11:04 AM

41 posts, read 47,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I know it's not illegal.
But it's unethical.
Under what book of ethics? I'm not saying it's not messed up, but it happens all the time and is the cost of doing business.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:00 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Under what book of ethics? I'm not saying it's not messed up, but it happens all the time and is the cost of doing business.
what exactly is unethical or messed up? what are reasons that people get fired aside from poor performance? (i am not saying other reasons dont exist, im trying to pinpoint what we are referring to here)

Old 03-29-2017, 12:33 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Let's say you work in sales and are the number 1 producer in the entire company. But...

You're late all the time
or
You curse like a sailor in the office
or
You grab co-workers by the p----y

So, excellent performance in terms of what you were primarily hired for, but poor employee in other areas. There are countless examples of stuff like this. Good performance, in many cases, is in the eyes of the direct manager.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:36 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Let's say you work in sales and are the number 1 producer in the entire company. But...

You're late all the time
or
You curse like a sailor in the office
or
You grab co-workers by the p----y

So, excellent performance in terms of what you were primarily hired for, but poor employee in other areas. There are countless examples of stuff like this. Good performance, in many cases, is in the eyes of the direct manager.
are you mentioning other reasons to be fired other than poor performance or are you saying it is unethical/should be illegal to fire someone for grabbing a chicks hey nani nani?

what i am asking for are reasons that that one poster seems to think it should be illegal to fire people other than "poor performance." also, does that person include repeated lateness or absenteeism?

Old 03-29-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what exactly is unethical or messed up? what are reasons that people get fired aside from poor performance? (i am not saying other reasons dont exist, im trying to pinpoint what we are referring to here)
There is nothing unethical about it. It's a free market society. Losing your job sucks, but that doesn't mean you have any actual recourse.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
There is nothing unethical about it. It's a free market society. Losing your job sucks, but that doesn't mean you have any actual recourse.
How can you say it's unethical if you don't know what the reasons for being fired are?

Old 03-29-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
How can you say it's unethical if you don't know what the reasons for being fired are?
The OP said he was told he was not the right fit for the position. As I said multiple times as long as it's not for a discriminatory reason, it is perfectly legal to say you are not the right fit.

Again, where is the ethics code you are referring to? Which profession is required to abide by an ethical code when hiring and firing employees?

Old 03-29-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
The OP said he was told he was not the right fit for the position. As I said multiple times as long as it's not for a discriminatory reason, it is perfectly legal to say you are not the right fit.

Again, where is the ethics code you are referring to? Which profession is required to abide by an ethical code when hiring and firing employees?

Two things:

1) If your employer wants to fire you for discriminatory reasons then obviously the easy route is to say you're not a good fit, or give any other reason, or no reason at all. You never truly know if it was discriminatory or not because they would never explicitly say it. I'm not saying this was the case with the OP, but I can certainly see why people would take issue with someone getting fired for something other than poor performance (not to say I even agree with that sentiment, but I can understand it).

2) The person who said it was unethical was expressing her opinion on the matter. I know this, because before she made the statement, she said "in my opinion." So I would have to assume that it's not something she read in any ethics manual but rather something she believes in as a result of her own moral code. I'm not sure what you're expecting as a response when you ask what ethics code they're referring to. They're saying "this is how things should be" not "this is how things are".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: