Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 12:27 AM

7 posts, read 24,357 times

Advertisements

From Riverdale in the Bronx.

- Is anyone familiar with this neighborhood:
35 Murray Hill Ter, Bergenfield, NJ 07621 -- house was nice but I wonder about the surrounding area. Neighborhood Scout made it sound as though is just meh...

-For those of you familiar with various counties in NJ -- which would you choose and why:
South Orange/Maplewood or Bergenfield.

-Is there a recommended neighborhood in Bergenfield -- for a small family of 3 with a son who loves sports on a budget of 450K?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 06:14 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times
There isn't a bad part of town. I've heard people argue the southeast right next to the armory on the Englewood/Teaneck border is, but it's safe after dark and aesthetically okay - and that's a nice part of Englewood - so I don't really get it or agree. Anyway, my only worry about that address is that it is near South Washington and East Clinton which are two very busy roads, so just make sure you can't hear too much road noise from the house and you should be good.

One caution about Bergenfield is the crazy-high tax rate as a percentage of property value, about 3%. When considering two houses, one in Bergenfield and one not, add ~15% to the Bergenfield price in your head to compensate for this. You'll still find the town is a good value even after doing so, but if you don't make that mental adjustment you aren't comparing apples-to-apples.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:06 PM

24 posts, read 85,006 times
I would not recommend moving to Bergenfield if you're considering moving to Bergen County. If you're going to permanently move to Bergen County, I think it would be better if you move to one of the "nicer" towns in the county. There are plenty of houses in better towns that you can definitely afford. Bergenfield is still a nice town so I wouldn't completely dismiss this option as well. But like the above post mentions, the taxes are high in Bergen County so you should try to move to the best town possible with the money you have.

Dumont, Leonia, Montvale, Emerson, River Edge, River Vale, Ramsey, Norwood, Oradell, Old Tappan, Teanfly, Westwood, Northvale

Old 07-09-2013, 05:55 PM

4 posts, read 19,120 times
I agree that there are many other towns that would be better suited for you than Bergenfield with your price range. I am a lifelong resident of Bergenfield with two young children and we are looking to move out of the town. The taxes are outrageous compared with other towns that have excellent school systems. And yes, there is a side of town that you may want to stay away from and that is around the Teaneck Armory area. Also, definitely check out which school your child will go to because Hoover School has the lowest performance ratings in the district and I believe that is where residents on Murray Hill Terrace go to school. The Franklin School side is probably your best bet. I love Franklin School and most of the teachers there are great and they are rated 10 out of 10. The Middle School is not great either from what I hear around town so check that out as well. The town has lost it's downtown area and it's now just a bunch of restaurants, exchange/delivery businesses, a Mandees, and a gym with high turnover rates. The positive things about the town is that it is very diverse and has a good recreation program with the PAL. Also, make sure you check the Megan's List online to make sure you don't have any offenders in your immediate area because I know there are a few in town. Any other questions let me know. These are just my own personal opinions, others may feel much differently than I so you should review everything for yourself before making a decision.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:38 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,693 times
I can't understand why anyone would want to live in Bergenfield. For the same price, and the same property taxes, you could live in River Edge or Emerson, or Westwood, etc. Bergenfield would be a good value if their property taxes weren't stupidly high.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:34 PM

141 posts, read 204,124 times
Bergenfield just like Teaneck is home to some orthodox Jewish minorities, and very diverse in general. Schools gets a C grade. Not the best town, neither the worst either. Property taxes are still high in Bergenfield. New Milford is a nicer town.

Keep in mind of Bergen County's blue laws....

Old 07-10-2013, 03:31 PM

66 posts, read 166,970 times
Although I don't live in Bergenfield, it doesn't seem like that all bad of a town besides the taxes. However it doesn't stack up as well with the other Bergen County towns. I remember with my friends once we were in downtown River Edge and they said the downtown was like a nicer version of Bergenfield's. I say if you're still hunting you should take a look at Fair Lawn either on the Paramus side or Glen Rock side. If your son likes sports you can live in Radburn (an area of Fair Lawn) where I believe they have access to a community pool and tennis courts. The schools there are good too.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:26 PM

41 posts, read 109,594 times
I live close to Bergenfield and it’s not a bad town.

Pros – Family-friendly and Affordable (Some nice big houses for a decent value), Bloomberg Business week ranked Bergenfield #2 best place in New Jersey to raise children (I don’t know how true that statement is because I don’t live in the town) and relatively safe

Cons – The demographics are changing and property taxes are too dam high, NJT bus into the city is a hassle if you are taking the bus during rush hour bus you sometimes might not get a seat, not close to any major highways and undocumented day laborers on Washington Ave.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:37 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njimport View Post
I live close to Bergenfield and it’s not a bad town.

Pros – Family-friendly and Affordable (Some nice big houses for a decent value), Bloomberg Business week ranked Bergenfield #2 best place in New Jersey to raise children (I don’t know how true that statement is because I don’t live in the town) and relatively safe

Cons – The demographics are changing and property taxes are too dam high, NJT bus into the city is a hassle if you are taking the bus during rush hour bus you sometimes might not get a seat, not close to any major highways and undocumented day laborers on Washington Ave.
1. How could it be affordable if the property taxes are "too dam high"?
2. The demographics of Bergenfield have been pretty consistent for the past 2 decades.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:51 AM

41 posts, read 109,594 times
  • White alone - 11,569 (45.2%)
  • Asian alone - 6,724 (26.3%)
  • Hispanic - 4,971 (19.4%)
  • Black alone - 1,837 (7.2%)
  • Two or more races - 398 (1.6%)
  • Other race alone - 76 (0.3%)
  • White alone - 14,165 (54.0%)
  • Asian alone - 5,327 (20.3%)
  • Hispanic - 4,474 (17.0%)
  • Black alone - 1,665 (6.3%)
  • Two or more races - 468 (1.8%)
  • Other race alone - 105 (0.4%)
  • American Indian alone - 39 (0.1%)
  • Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 4 (0.02%)
Ask yourself that question again from 2000 to 2009 the population of whites have declined 2,500 in those years a 10% decrease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey