Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 12:40 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,099,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
I guess you have only lived in one part of NJ. I plan on moving out of here soon because it is too expensive and the taxes ARE ridiculous, but...you are wrong wrong wrong about the nature part. Take a road trip some day (assuming you can drive?) and visit northwest NJ, like Hunterdon, Warren & Sussex Counties...or travel south...ever been to the Pine Barrens? I guess people still think Jersey is all city. View the recent thread in which people list hiking trails with views of lakes. You won't be disappointed.

I WILL say that there is a big difference between Warren County and Somerset County. I moved from Warren County a few years ago to a small town near Bridgewater to be closer to work. While I will never go back to my old commute, I miss Warren County. Bridgewater area is crowded and people are downright rude. The drivers are insane, aggressive and inconsiderate. It's not like that up on NW NJ. Such a big difference for such a small state.
Somerset County is rapidly losing its open space, it seems that developers are keen on knocking down every last tree and making it into one big tacky strip mall. It's a shame because it is genuinely a naturally beautiful area with the Sourland mountains and Raritan River.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:26 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Its funny how the same people arguing that people in NJ are kind and not a-holes, are the same people who have a nasty tone and demeanor on here. The irony is unbelievable. "NJ people are not a-holes, you a-hole"...
No, what's ironic is that people who have moved out of this state or want to, some who admitted difficulty in getting along with people or claiming generally that many are a-holes or other arguments they want to make, are the ones calling names. It doesn't sound like THEY are the easy ones to get along with, or are the nicest most friendly and polite ones out there.

It's all BS. Same old story - "people in the Northeast are rude, blah blah blah." Not much besides bitter personal anecdotes to back it up. I know that the people I hang out with aren't like that. Also anecdotal but it proves how arbitrary it is to claim that people in NJ "generally" tend to be more this or that than others. It's difficult to make a good point while speaking so generally, and I'll call people out for it just as I would for someone who would want to call Southerners racist or uneducated.

You only show up here when people bash NJ to join in, what's that say about you? It's strange and irrational to be so bitter and hateful about a place. Take a look at yourself.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:08 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,822,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
No, what's ironic is that people who have moved out of this state or want to, some who admitted difficulty in getting along with people or claiming generally that many are a-holes or other arguments they want to make, are the ones calling names. It doesn't sound like THEY are the easy ones to get along with, or are the nicest most friendly and polite ones out there.

It's all BS. Same old story - "people in the Northeast are rude, blah blah blah." Not much besides bitter personal anecdotes to back it up. I know that the people I hang out with aren't like that. Also anecdotal but it proves how arbitrary it is to claim that people in NJ "generally" tend to be more this or that than others. It's difficult to make a good point while speaking so generally, and I'll call people out for it just as I would for someone who would want to call Southerners racist or uneducated.

You only show up here when people bash NJ to join in, what's that say about you? It's strange and irrational to be so bitter and hateful about a place. Take a look at yourself.
I am looking at myself, and I stand 100% by what I said. Its easy to turn around and say "look at yourself" on an anonymous internet forum, but you did not dispute any of the factual information that I posted about NJ. And why people are leaving in droves. You prefer to insult people and make it personal (a typical NJ trait), when I was discussing the state and its problems. What does that say about you?

Old 04-11-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I am looking at myself, and I stand 100% by what I said. Its easy to turn around and say "look at yourself" on an anonymous internet forum, but you did not dispute any of the factual information that I posted about NJ. And why people are leaving in droves. You prefer to insult people and make it personal (a typical NJ trait), when I was discussing the state and its problems. What does that say about you?
I didn't read the novel you posted. I've read your posts before, I know what you and people like you say.

"A typical NJ trait." Whatever dude. Get a life.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:03 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,822,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I didn't read the novel you posted. I've read your posts before, I know what you and people like you say.

"A typical NJ trait." Whatever dude. Get a life.
So if you really didn't read what I wrote, then how do you know what I said?

Admit it, you read it because deep down inside, you know its true. Most likely you are stuck here and you're a homer so you're trying to make the best of it. I know a lot of people like that, its nothing to be ashamed of. Many, many people are stuck in NJ. Perhaps due to divorce, children, grandchildren, a job that is hard or impossible to get elsewhere. I get it. I'm part of that group too.

Seriously, no need to have such a hard shell. Its not that big of a deal. Just be nice

Old 04-11-2017, 04:14 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Is it a good idea to differentiate S. Jersey from N. Jersey? I have the impression its different in the south. I never lived in the state, though.
It's a whole 'nother country.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:38 PM

19,118 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Somerset County is rapidly losing its open space, it seems that developers are keen on knocking down every last tree and making it into one big tacky strip mall.
Really?
While I will grant you that there is a variation from one Somerset County municipality to another, your statement is overly broad.

In fact, Franklin Township--which is the largest municipality in the county, and which has the county's last remaining dairy farm--has more than 1/3 of its acreage in "preserved" status.
http://www.franklintwpnj.org/home/showdocument?id=5438

Old 04-11-2017, 05:07 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:

Admit it, you read it because deep down inside, you know its true. Most likely you are stuck here and you're a homer so you're trying to make the best of it. I know a lot of people like that, its nothing to be ashamed of. Many, many people are stuck in NJ. Perhaps due to divorce, children, grandchildren, a job that is hard or impossible to get elsewhere. I get it. I'm part of that group too.

Seriously, no need to have such a hard shell. Its not that big of a deal. Just be nice
I didn't read all of it. You're complaining about Northeastern New Jersey. I'll bet you've never been to Hog Wallow. Sea Breeze? Visit the rest of the state before you leave.

I've lived in North Carolina. I really like parts of it, but it has its problems--like everywhere else.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:38 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,099,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Really?
While I will grant you that there is a variation from one Somerset County municipality to another, your statement is overly broad.

In fact, Franklin Township--which is the largest municipality in the county, and which has the county's last remaining dairy farm--has more than 1/3 of its acreage in "preserved" status.
http://www.franklintwpnj.org/home/showdocument?id=5438
My point was that Somerset County is losing green space at a rapid pace, not that there is no preserved farmland or parks.

The growth in Somerset County, which is mostly from suburban sprawl and the construction of Mcmansions, is undeniable.

Montgomery township-
1990 population: 9,612
2015 population: 23,049
A 139.7% increase

Franklin township
1990 population: 42,780
2015 population: 66,158
A 54.6% increase

Bridgewater
1990 population: 30,235
2015 population: 45,198
A 49.4% increase

Bernards township
1990 population:17,199
2015 population: 27,010
A 57.0% increase

Old 04-11-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:

You're still here huh?

For someone who complains so much about the apparent bad traits NJ residents have, it's funny that you fail to see you have those very traits. That's what ironic. Have a nice life and I hope you move out soon. We could use one less a**hole here, since we apparently already have so many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey