Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:57 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,651 times

Advertisements

My Way News - Homeowner Equity Is Lowest Since 1945

And the good news is...?

Last edited by tahiti; 03-07-2008 at 06:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 10:24 PM

29 posts, read 101,976 times
that isnt the best news in the world. if i may ask, why is this targeted at realtors? im not a realtor but i have dealt with and know a few myself. are the realtors the ones that give the loans to these buyers? are they the ones that came up with creative financing and other creative ways to get buyers these loans? are they the ones that drove the market through the roof? so far through that many many people are struggling now to make ends meet?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:27 PM

387 posts, read 1,429,901 times
I think he means that realtors always preach about how "rosey" the market is even when times are terrible. Putting a spin on it.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:36 PM

i can see that happening, im sure many of them are trying to make ends meet by making deals, but how stupid or uneducated can some people be? its impossible to not know what is going on in todays market, cnn, msnbc , nightly news shows , newspapers that all they talk about.
i guess it depends who you deal with. i went to a realtor a few weeks back and asked for a market analysis and for advice about the market. he gave me a market analysis and then told me that it wasnt a great time to sell after looking at the numbers.
he told me if i didnt need to and could afford to hold onto it for a while, to sit and wait. due the large amount of inventory and small amount of actual qualified buyers that a better time to sell wouldnt be now.
he said he would gladly take the listing, but to have it sitting there was pointless, if he couldnt get me what i was looking for. i was happy in a way and unhappy in other ways. happy that he was upfront and honest and unhappy that my house was worth so much more a few years back.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:44 PM

Yes... unless you really need to for some reason I couldnt fathom why anyone would sell at this moment in most markets

Old 03-06-2008, 10:49 PM

i will hold onto it for a while, i could only hope that one day this market will turn around, im sure its not happening in the very near future, but things cant be like this forever! things never stay the same! thats a lesson i have learned in many different aspects of life.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:55 PM

Dont worry Nick... it will turn around, it always does. Your in a good position where you can ride it out

Old 03-07-2008, 06:24 AM

828 posts, read 3,138,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackedInPrinceton View Post
I think he means that realtors always preach about how "rosey" the market is even when times are terrible. Putting a spin on it.

Exactly.

Quote:
i can see that happening, im sure many of them are trying to make ends meet by making deals, but how stupid or uneducated can some people be? its impossible to not know what is going on in todays market, cnn, msnbc , nightly news shows , newspapers that all they talk about.
i guess it depends who you deal with. i went to a realtor a few weeks back and asked for a market analysis and for advice about the market. he gave me a market analysis and then told me that it wasnt a great time to sell after looking at the numbers.
he told me if i didnt need to and could afford to hold onto it for a while, to sit and wait. due the large amount of inventory and small amount of actual qualified buyers that a better time to sell wouldnt be now.
he said he would gladly take the listing, but to have it sitting there was pointless, if he couldnt get me what i was looking for. i was happy in a way and unhappy in other ways. happy that he was upfront and honest and unhappy that my house was worth so much more a few years back.
Many people do not read, or listen to, what they do not want to hear.
You seem to have a realtor who gave you realistic advice.
I wish you luck.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:35 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
Exactly.

Many people do not read, or listen to, what they do not want to hear.
You seem to have a realtor who gave you realistic advice.
I wish you luck.
what's the quote? “You can’t make someone understand something when his/her salary depends upon not understanding it”.

that being said, yes, our market isn't too great - is it as bad as the late 80's - early 90's? but, it's not as bad as some of the FL, CA, AZ, NV markets. i've posted this picture before, but here's a neighborhood in northern CA:

there were 2 small articles in my local rag yesterday about the NJ market and how it's "good". Published by the NAR btw - I'll see if i can find the link.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:41 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,603,160 times
It's all equity on paper.. if you bought a house for the right reason (to live in) it's not really an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: