Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2017, 11:36 AM
bn1 bn1 started this thread

128 posts, read 205,662 times

Advertisements

I moved to Cliffside Park not too long ago and love it so far.

I see big things developing in neighboring Fort Lee and Edgewater (even North Bergen?) and wonder if that's in the future for Cliffside Park. I know the Town Centre is being built but it seems to have come to a halt (or is going very slow) - in contrast to the speed at which they're building the condo by Zalewski Park on Gorge.

It would be great to see Palisades Ave and Anderson Ave develop into nicer, more walkable, places to stroll like Main Street in Fort Lee or Washington Ave in Hoboken. I understand most people probably don't want the town to become a Hoboken but I think most can agree that a walk-friendly area with restaurants and cafes would be great. There are some now but honestly - it seems like the avenue is crowded with useless businesses. I mean - I counted so many nail salons, outdated clothing boutiques and other stores I just wouldn't walk into. Not knocking nail salons or consignment shops because I know they have their patrons but...is Anderson or Palisades going to be a more hip place with more restaurants, cafes, eclectic wine bars, etc? Many of the business fronts currently on Anderson just look like they need a serious face lift as well - they just have a somewhat old or grimy look (not in an appealing vintage way). As it is right now, it has the potential to be a great walkable area but don't really see people walking much because there aren't a lot of incentives to enjoy strolling about and stopping by places to eat/drink/enjoy.

As for Edgewater, any news on what plans there are for the empty lots at the waterfront? Such as next to Sojo, next to City Place, across from Sojo Spa - would be great if there was a Park. One would think Edgewater could really use a bigger park than Veterans especially with all those highrises full of people living in congested space together.

Last edited by bn1; 04-03-2017 at 12:00 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 12:55 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,844 times
Cliffside Park isn't going to get developed as these two neighbors anytime soon for quite some time for several reasons and they are key reasons as well.

- Cliffside Park's median income is lower than Fort Lee and Edgewater. 10-20k difference in median income
- Cliffside Park's location is less desirable than Fort Lee and Edgewater. Fort Lee is right by GW and Edgewater is water front.
- Cliffside Park's public education system compared to Fort Lee and Edgewater is less desirable.
- Cliffside Park's mass transportation is less desirable than Fort Lee and Edgewater. Ferry, bus for Edgewater, Bus across GW for Fort Lee
- Cliffside Park's available space isn't as good at Fort Lee and Edgewater. Fort Lee and Edgewater still have a lot of undeveloped space. Not so much for Cliffside Park

So in all, unfortunately Cliffside Park isn't going to get the changes for quite some time.

Regarding Edgwater empty lots you noted. I know for sure lot next to City Place is superfund site so till they clean that up. Nothing happening there. As for other lots you mentioned, until several years ago those slots were industrial spaces occupied by Hess. It was pretty recent that they moved out and demolished them. Since it was industrial oil facilities, I assume they also require clean up before anything can be done with it.

Plus with real estate starting to decline in rental and sales prices. Development activities will thin out a little bit (either pause or not get funded) except the ones that is already in the pipelines and too far out to stall or stop.

School ranking differences, income differences, etc. between 3 towns you mentioned aren't big gaps but its big enough that it affects things like development on the ground. Hence Cliffside Park will take a long time to get further developed.

i.e. edgewater median income is probably around 60k, fort lee around 40-50k and cliffside park is 30-40k. i haven't looked these numbers up in about 7 years but these numbers don't move that much that quick so i'm fairly confident its around those numbers. if I'm correct, these aren't big gaps but big enough to make a difference in attracting companies like Wholefood and therefore commercial real estate to have space for these types of companies. Also more median income means more $$ that can be spent on housing (sale + rental) so it attracts more developers both residential and commercial.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
Cliffside Park isn't going to get developed as these two neighbors anytime soon for quite some time for several reasons and they are key reasons as well.

- Cliffside Park's median income is lower than Fort Lee and Edgewater. 10-20k difference in median income
- Cliffside Park's location is less desirable than Fort Lee and Edgewater. Fort Lee is right by GW and Edgewater is water front.
- Cliffside Park's public education system compared to Fort Lee and Edgewater is less desirable.
- Cliffside Park's mass transportation is less desirable than Fort Lee and Edgewater. Ferry, bus for Edgewater, Bus across GW for Fort Lee
- Cliffside Park's available space isn't as good at Fort Lee and Edgewater. Fort Lee and Edgewater still have a lot of undeveloped space. Not so much for Cliffside Park

So in all, unfortunately Cliffside Park isn't going to get the changes for quite some time.

Regarding Edgwater empty lots you noted. I know for sure lot next to City Place is superfund site so till they clean that up. Nothing happening there. As for other lots you mentioned, until several years ago those slots were industrial spaces occupied by Hess. It was pretty recent that they moved out and demolished them. Since it was industrial oil facilities, I assume they also require clean up before anything can be done with it.

Plus with real estate starting to decline in rental and sales prices. Development activities will thin out a little bit (either pause or not get funded) except the ones that is already in the pipelines and too far out to stall or stop.

School ranking differences, income differences, etc. between 3 towns you mentioned aren't big gaps but its big enough that it affects things like development on the ground. Hence Cliffside Park will take a long time to get further developed.

i.e. edgewater median income is probably around 60k, fort lee around 40-50k and cliffside park is 30-40k. i haven't looked these numbers up in about 7 years but these numbers don't move that much that quick so i'm fairly confident its around those numbers. if I'm correct, these aren't big gaps but big enough to make a difference in attracting companies like Wholefood and therefore commercial real estate to have space for these types of companies. Also more median income means more $$ that can be spent on housing (sale + rental) so it attracts more developers both residential and commercial.
Good points.

Can definitely see the income difference - the gap may possibly be getting wider for the time being. That said, public transit wise Cliffside Park buses generally get you to Port Authority/Midtown faster than Fort Lee. Even in the best locations in Fort Lee for public transit (walking distance of GWB where you can ride the jitney) - it's still at least 40 mins to midtown including the jitney ride. The buses from Linwood area take quite a bit longer. Much of eastern Cliffside park along the 156R and 159R routes can get you to Port Authority in 30-35 mins.

Schools are definitely lagging behind, but something hopefully that can be improved. Cliffside Park HS, despite its low ranking, does send kids to good universities (not that college is the be all end all). I think it's a bit different from other schools with a low ranking in that the top 30% students can go on to good colleges - as opposed to some schools where even being in top 5% rarely get to a decently ranked university. As far as I know, it doesn't have a gang problem or have metal detectors.

I may be drinking the Kool-Aid (admittedley) but I see a lot development potential along Anderson Ave and Palisades Ave - if it could only get going. It is right along the line of developing towns though, and along Gorge Road could be considered waterfront (since you have unobstructed view of the Hudson) - and easy access to all of Edgewater (which isn't a walkable town itself).

All the points your brought to say it's going to take awhile (if ever) are valid as well though.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:11 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,192,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bn1 View Post
Good points.

Can definitely see the income difference - the gap may possibly be getting wider for the time being. That said, public transit wise Cliffside Park buses generally get you to Port Authority/Midtown faster than Fort Lee. Even in the best locations in Fort Lee for public transit (walking distance of GWB where you can ride the jitney) - it's still at least 40 mins to midtown including the jitney ride. The buses from Linwood area take quite a bit longer. Much of eastern Cliffside park along the 156R and 159R routes can get you to Port Authority in 30-35 mins.

Schools are definitely lagging behind, but something hopefully that can be improved. Cliffside Park HS, despite its low ranking, does send kids to good universities (not that college is the be all end all). I think it's a bit different from other schools with a low ranking in that the top 30% students can go on to good colleges - as opposed to some schools where even being in top 5% rarely get to a decently ranked university. As far as I know, it doesn't have a gang problem or have metal detectors.

I may be drinking the Kool-Aid (admittedley) but I see a lot development potential along Anderson Ave and Palisades Ave - if it could only get going. It is right along the line of developing towns though, and along Gorge Road could be considered waterfront (since you have unobstructed view of the Hudson) - and easy access to all of Edgewater (which isn't a walkable town itself).

All the points your brought to say it's going to take awhile (if ever) are valid as well though.
IMO:

It wasn't always that way.

I see income differences within the same town - (on the most part) a little more wealth north of Edgewater Road (the closer to Fort Lee the more you see that) and lower income south of Edgewater Road.

The demographics have changed in Cliffside Park over the years to that it lowered those school rankings for various reasons that I don't want to get into here.

FYI: I lived in that area for 50 plus years removed almost 5 years ago and I graduated from CPHS in 1980.

What Cliffside Park should work on first is resurfacing their roads which are pitiful in many spots.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:38 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
What Cliffside Park should work on first is resurfacing their roads which are pitiful in many spots.
Amen.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:06 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
IMO:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
Amen.
Thirded.

Anyway, all the development in Edgewater has not been Edgewater specific but rather all of River road, of which Edgewater is only the northern part.

Sure you can get down to River road on Gorge road and there's the areas north of Gorge Road with a view on the Hudson which are super fancy, but still it seems the southern part of town is a more upscale extension of Fairview and the northern part of town a downscale extension of Fort Lee.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:56 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
The only thing they ain't building there are more roads, scary how many towers and big co-ops they're building along the river but one tiny road that goes North and South. Not a town I would want to live unless they build more roads which is unlikely consider stores and apts so close to the roads already.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:04 PM

857 posts, read 833,937 times
Honestly they are probably staying right where they are.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:08 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Does Cliffside Park still have lots of italians?

The River Palm Terrace is a great place to eat.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Does Cliffside Park still have lots of italians?

The River Palm Terrace is a great place to eat.
I think there are still quite a lot but there is also a significant Hispanic population and some Asian and Turkish as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey