Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 01:40 PM

201 posts, read 441,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
when people stuck up for me.
Sorry to hear that. I hope it wasn't a life altering situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 01:47 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhills Dad View Post
Grew up in Mount Olive, didn't have much to do there, so we went where the wind blew us. Down south.
NO YOU DIDN'T!!!! Seriously, Mt. Olive???? Class of 84 then? Ok, this is freaky - class of 82

Old 03-08-2008, 02:04 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
I see you ran and hid now that I am sussing you out dad : ))) Come on now, don't leave me hangin' here..what year and which side of the tracks... Flander's boy or Budd laker boy?

Old 03-08-2008, 02:10 PM

338 posts, read 1,369,416 times
Default Funny thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhills Dad View Post
Wow that would hurt.
But it'd be a practical use for that cane!

Old 03-08-2008, 02:12 PM

52 posts, read 226,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Since I'm 26 and still of the age to go to clubs... I'll bypass teenage years and go even younger...

1st grade. There was an award in school which only fifth graders were eligible for, another 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades were eligible for, and another all were eligible for. What I did that year put me in the level of the second one, but I wasn't eligible. I went and talked to the principal (I would stop by and feed his fish in his office) and plead my case as to why I should be able to get that award. Well, come award ceremony time, I didn't hear my name called for the one I was eligible for. I got excited, thought the plea worked out. Then, the one I hoped for was called.... and I didn't get called up then either.

I was kind of freaked out, didn't know what to think. Why didn't I get either one of those awards? Then, the principal announced the final awards. The one only 5th graders could get. Thats when he called my name.

Talking to him later about it, he was so impressed with me coming up to talk to him about it that he discussed it with the school board, and they decided to give me the highest award. My brother and my parents knew about it, but didn't tell me. They were all there (my brother was in 4th grade at the time), and getting that award and seeing how proud my parents were was definitely a great experience, one I'll remember forever.

If this happened now, the teacher and principals would be disciplined and parents of the 5th graders would be calling the school board. Ahh, how times have changed.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:19 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbyhugs View Post
If this happened now, the teacher and principals would be disciplined and parents of the 5th graders would be calling the school board. Ahh, how times have changed.
I didn't get it in place of a 5th grader - it was an award based on qualifications, those who qualified got the award. But knowing parents nowadays, they'd probably think it demeaned their 5th grader that a 1st grader got the same award, so yeah, they probably would call and complain.

He was the kind of guy who wasn't easily swayed though, its one of the reasons I still respect him so much, even though I haven't seen him in a long time (I moved after 1st grade). The world could use more people like him, imho.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:21 PM

230 posts, read 666,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustT&Me View Post

I'm starting to believe that would be true! LOL

Old 03-08-2008, 02:26 PM

52 posts, read 226,229 times
I think it's a great story - you must have really had some strong reasoning to sway him at six years old. I think it's fantastic!

Old 03-08-2008, 02:34 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,365,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustT&Me View Post
See, someone agrees!

Old 03-08-2008, 06:03 PM

4 posts, read 27,355 times
Mine would have to be at the jersey shore, Point Pleasant. Nothing like a cheese steak or sausage and pepers sandwhich, i forget the name, but i remember it being in the middle of the boardwalk. The Stone Pony was my other favorite, i heard they where going to move it or tair it down. I hope not, that is a landmark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey