Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 03:46 PM

652 posts, read 1,276,502 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am relocating to Jersey City and I am thinking about getting rid of my car because of parking expenses. I will be living around East st/Journal Square. How do people deal with not having a car and doing laundry or grocery shopping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 04:02 PM

551 posts, read 1,188,447 times
Never heard of east st but its totally a walkable city and plentiful of laundromats, restaurants, stores around JSQ and regarding transportation a lot of buses route through here and in jersey city as well as small Jitney vans that run through both JFK blvd and Palisades ave (up and down very 5 min)

Old 05-29-2017, 04:14 PM

Default re

By Magnolia Ave. I just never had to deal with laundry and parking before so I am just trying to figure out if I can get a laundry place and grocery like 5 minutes walking distance away (I have to carry my laundry so I prefer something 5 minutes away). I always used my car for grocery and I always had laundry in my apartment so I am wondering how locals are handling the laundry and grocery shopping without a car?

Old 05-29-2017, 09:02 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Get you one of these:

Easy Wheels Jumbo Shopping Cart in Red-001RD - The Home Depot

A few of these:

FRAKTA Shopping bag, large - IKEA

One of these:

https://buyforhome.net/index.php?rou...FcWLswod1HACHQ

And a bike with a basket wouldn't hurt either.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:31 AM

516 posts, read 1,005,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katalin View Post
By Magnolia Ave. I just never had to deal with laundry and parking before so I am just trying to figure out if I can get a laundry place and grocery like 5 minutes walking distance away (I have to carry my laundry so I prefer something 5 minutes away). I always used my car for grocery and I always had laundry in my apartment so I am wondering how locals are handling the laundry and grocery shopping without a car?
Freshdirect or AmazonFresh for groceries. For laundry, I've seen people use bikes. The best kept secret is to use a stroller actually. Those things are robust as hell, way more than any shopping pull cart. I stack all my laundry into my son's stroller and also use it to transport groceries from the car. I've transported 4 watermelons once and it was totally fine.

Buy a used/dirty stroller for $20-$30 and give it a try.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:15 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,966,421 times
It shouldn't be too hard to get used to living without a car in that location, especially if you're single (i.e., you don't have kids you have to cart back and forth to school functions; you don't typically have 6 bags of groceries to haul back and forth for a family of 5).

There are laundromats and restaurants all over. For basic groceries, there are bodegas around, and a C-Town about 1/2 a mile away.

The JSQ PATH station is about 1/3 of the mile away. You can take that to Newport for mall shopping, or take it into the city. There is a Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and a Target all within close range of the PATH line in Manhattan.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:19 PM

565 posts, read 722,785 times
If you are a single person (not washing for a whole family, I mean), just pay the extra couple of bucks and get the pick up/drop off wash and fold service. When our old washer died and we had to wait 3 weeks for the new one to be delivered, I just paid one of the local laundromat/dry cleaners to come pick up and drop off the laundry. You pay by the pound and it's not too pricey at all for just 1 person. Such a time saver!

And I agree that you can have groceries delivered--There's PeaPod, Fresh Direct, Amazon Fresh, SHoprite Home delivery, Jet.com. Lots of options. Once you make your first cart and buy it, it's much easier for subsequent shops because it saves your favorites.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:20 PM

565 posts, read 722,785 times
Also, a lot of car-less people will Uber to do big grocery shops and Uber home with all their shopping. I walk and take a kid, and load up our stroller. I can fit 8-10 bags. =)

Old 05-30-2017, 07:25 PM

551 posts, read 1,188,447 times
For Laundry the new "in" thing is for each unit / condo to have laundry/dryer pair or at least provide these facilities in the basement - I rent out my upstairs condo and it has new samsung washer/dryer included in rent

For groceries - Shop Rite, Trader Joes, FreshDirect

Old 05-31-2017, 06:32 PM

Default re

Wow thank you very much for your replies. The stroller is a very good idea! I have a stupid question LOL, I assume I can take the stroller to public transportation if I want to go to a mall and take Path etc? Sorry I always owned a car and never had to use public transportation and I just never observed all these things when I had to take the NY subway or the Path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: