Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 09:04 AM

29 posts, read 264,126 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know about how long a non custodial parent is required to pay child support in NJ? I was told it can be until the child is 22 years old. I don't see too much about it on the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 09:10 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutherford View Post
Does anyone know about how long a non custodial parent is required to pay child support in NJ? I was told it can be until the child is 22 years old. I don't see too much about it on the internet.

If the child is 18 and has completed high school and there is no court agreement in regards to college you have to petition to have it end. Start with the probation dept you make your payments to.
Then the probation dept you pay through will send a letter to your ex, if she refuses to sign off on it there has to be valid reasons..but you have to take the first step or they will continue to take the money

Old 03-14-2008, 11:13 PM

432 posts, read 1,879,045 times
Alimony can last a lifetime in NJ

Old 03-15-2008, 04:29 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Hopefully you have support going through probation?

main child support site

Access your case info you should have a CS number. It usually has an A or B at the end. To log in the password is the last 4 of your social.

Does my support order automatically end when my child reaches age 18?

No. There is no fixed age in New Jersey when support stops. Once your child turns 18 and/or becomes financially independent, either you or the other parent must file papers with the court asking that the order be terminated or adjusted. Based on the facts, the court will decide if the child still needs a support from the parents. This is known as "emancipation." Generally, the court presumes that children under 18 need support from their parents. In some cases, support may continue through college or longer. Support may terminate automatically if your current order specifies a date, age or circumstance when support stops.

With my son, it did not end with high school. We went back to family court to get the order extended to college. I changed my direct deposit to my sons account since the support was for him. I also had to prove my son stayed in college towards the end of the spring semester. They (Union County) were supposed to stop support if I did not respond but they never did. Thankfully I did not touch the support once he was out of college (dropped out) because I had to pay it back. I'm not sure that is the norm though as I've never heard another case.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Hopefully you have support going through probation?

main child support site

Access your case info you should have a CS number. It usually has an A or B at the end. To log in the password is the last 4 of your social.

Does my support order automatically end when my child reaches age 18?

No. There is no fixed age in New Jersey when support stops. Once your child turns 18 and/or becomes financially independent, either you or the other parent must file papers with the court asking that the order be terminated or adjusted. Based on the facts, the court will decide if the child still needs a support from the parents. This is known as "emancipation." Generally, the court presumes that children under 18 need support from their parents. In some cases, support may continue through college or longer. Support may terminate automatically if your current order specifies a date, age or circumstance when support stops.

With my son, it did not end with high school. We went back to family court to get the order extended to college. I changed my direct deposit to my sons account since the support was for him. I also had to prove my son stayed in college towards the end of the spring semester. They (Union County) were supposed to stop support if I did not respond but they never did. Thankfully I did not touch the support once he was out of college (dropped out) because I had to pay it back. I'm not sure that is the norm though as I've never heard another case.

Thats about right..when my son was 19 and left college my ex petioned Ocean County probation to end support..I asked my son what his intentions were and he was going to work therefore I just signed off on the petition and further support ended....it continued for my younger son and we did the same thing right after he graduated high school as he went full time at Costco with benefits
Thankfully later on they both finished college but the hard way..working full time and going at night..sometimes kids I guess need to learn the hard way

Old 03-15-2008, 07:06 AM

741 posts, read 3,510,499 times
Well, The Middlesex county probation for Child Support makes it very difficult to end child support through them. My husband is still paying child support for his 21 yr.old son who his ex wife refused to let him see. The youngest will graduate High School this June, and be 18 in August.This is just sad. The last time my husband saw his 2 kids from marriage 1 was 14 yrs. ago. And Yes, he kept taking the mother to court over this, and every single time he was forced to pay her attorney's fees. After being 30k in the hole and getting nowhere he just stopped. He never even recieved a school picture of any of his kids. But, they cash that check every week for 14 years. NJ makes it very hard to emancipate on your own. We are forced to hire another attorney for 2500. to start the emancipation process.

Good Luck

Old 03-15-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj View Post
Well, The Middlesex county probation for Child Support makes it very difficult to end child support through them. My husband is still paying child support for his 21 yr.old son who his ex wife refused to let him see. The youngest will graduate High School this June, and be 18 in August.This is just sad. The last time my husband saw his 2 kids from marriage 1 was 14 yrs. ago. And Yes, he kept taking the mother to court over this, and every single time he was forced to pay her attorney's fees. After being 30k in the hole and getting nowhere he just stopped. He never even recieved a school picture of any of his kids. But, they cash that check every week for 14 years. NJ makes it very hard to emancipate on your own. We are forced to hire another attorney for 2500. to start the emancipation process.

Good Luck
That is awful..good luck to your husband and if the kid wasn't in college I hope she has to pay him back...people like his ex make all females look bad
You do need to support your kids but the time comes when they are adults

Old 03-15-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsvmom View Post
Alimony can last a lifetime in NJ
Alimony is completely different then child support
There comes a time when a child becomes an adult..I've never heard of child suppport continuing past 4 years of college unless a child is incapacitated.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:44 AM

230 posts, read 666,699 times
Try this great legal website...it has been very helpful with alot of my questions.
New Jersey Law Network (sm) ~ Front Page then at top of page(area in red), click on NJ Law Q & A Forum. From there you can click on custodial or non-custodial parent and post question. It is one of the best sites I have found concerning any legal matters.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:01 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj View Post

Good Luck
I'm sorry to read this and agree with Kate; it's the women like this that make us others look bad.

You do not need an attorney. Both of my Ex's didn't use them. There is a packet you can request, heck these days you can probably get it online, lets see what i dig up...

Middlesex County Courts - forms - look under Appellate Division Forms - you need a notice of motion - also look under the section family.

Years ago I called family court in Somerset County and got the instruction booklet, it also had all of the forms I'd need.

Is child support going through the state or does he sent it himself? If it goes through the state it's very easy to have this taken care of. Call the probation officer, tell him the child is supposed to be emancipated, let them know the other also should be and when. He will get the ball rolling. I didn't even use an attorney for this, went before the judge in Burlington County.

It's been a few years but I'm sure between myself and a few others we can probably help you guys change this. The mother needs to be put in her place and now. I would start phone calls 1st thing Monday morning. It boils my blood when they do not allow the father to see the kids. What a low life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey