Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 10:16 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,061,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
One problem with DE that not all realtors will tell you. A 2% tax when you buy a home. A 2% tax when you sell it. That would make up for years and years of no sales tax for many of us. Also a special tax when you buy a car, I think 3.75% but not sure exactly. Got to do your math anywhere. Deep Google searches until the cows come home.

Hardly.....that 2% tax buying/selling is not even close to what a NJ homeowner will pay over "years and years".....at least not for NJ homeowners whose property taxes average $8500 overall (and go up every year). On $400K home purchased in DE the sales tax would be $8000.......you could literally buy & sell the home in Delaware in 2- 3 years or so and pay less in the DE sales tax than you would pay in NJ property taxes over the same period for an equivalent home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 10:31 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
We stayed put and the kids all moved to various locations around the globe. I just thank God for Facetime! 🙏🏻 Our eldest daughter calls us almost every morning and we enjoy a sit-down breakfast with her and our youngest grandson. It makes our day! 😄

Love and All Good Things,

Mahrie. 🌹
My son lives not too, too far away, and we text and Skype more than see each other.

Lilting voice...kids today.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:33 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,519,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Hardly.....that 2% tax buying/selling is not even close to what a NJ homeowner will pay over "years and years".....at least not for NJ homeowners whose property taxes average $8500 overall (and go up every year). On $400K home purchased in DE the sales tax would be $8000.......you could literally buy & sell the home in Delaware in 2- 3 years or so and pay less in the DE sales tax than you would pay in NJ property taxes over the same period for an equivalent home.

You still have property taxes in DE. Also in many cases HOA fees. You have to do the math.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:58 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
my plan is to do anything within my power to make sure that my children dont move far away. if that means buying them houses nearby then i will buy them houses nearby.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:03 PM

123 posts, read 181,100 times
You are asking the wrong question. The real question is whether you want to follow your kids wherever they go. Today they are in NJ. Tomorrow, once they realize what an expensive dump this is, they might go to CA (expensive but not a dump). In five years..., I don't know, maybe Kazakhstan? Do you want to go to Kazakhstan?

Old 09-05-2017, 01:19 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,923 times
Nope. Such is the way of life. I have family in SC, Texas, NH, VA, and as far away as Japan. People are going to go where they're going to go to do what they need to do.

I never planned on settling in NJ (or even the NYC area) but I've been here for 17 years now and have no plans to move because SC has zero career prospects. Nor do I want my parents to feel like they need to move up here and spend higher taxes or whatever.

You also need to consider that they might be trying to get away from family and all its encumbrances without saying so.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:17 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srdjanmax View Post
You are asking the wrong question. The real question is whether you want to follow your kids wherever they go. Today they are in NJ. Tomorrow, once they realize what an expensive dump this is, they might go to CA (expensive but not a dump). In five years..., I don't know, maybe Kazakhstan? Do you want to go to Kazakhstan?
How about Libya? My nephew left NJ to work for a Swiss humanitarian organization which sent him there. The zoo in Tripoli is full of human prisoners. Not pretty.

New Jersey's a dump? How much time did you spend in the Delaware Water Gap and the Pine Barrens? Let me guess. None.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:37 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,625,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srdjanmax View Post

If that is where my kid is yes

Old 09-06-2017, 06:02 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my plan is to do anything within my power to make sure that my children dont move far away. if that means buying them houses nearby then i will buy them houses nearby.

Dad!!! How have you been?!!!!

Old 09-06-2017, 07:37 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Dad!!! How have you been?!!!!
Careful, nowhere did they say it was going to be a nice house. "Here's your fixer upper!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey