Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 09:00 AM

186 posts, read 175,626 times

Advertisements

If marijuana is legalized in NJ how will employment with companies (ex HD Lowes Costco) effect there drug test policies. Believe or not I have never did a drug in my life even though I was a teenager is the 70's. Will it change how they look at drug testing results ? How does this workout with someone who is at work as is under the influence of Marijuana? I am just curious how this works out?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 09:40 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,627,203 times
Up to them

Old 11-12-2017, 09:45 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
marijuana would probably get removed from the test.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:57 AM

the government has no business making any drugs illegal and it has no business requiring prescriptions for medications. the US government is an incredibly evil entity and there are hundreds of thousands of victims toiling away in prisons because of a horribly evil government. its incredible that there are still americans that believe that the US government is "the good guy" and that we live in a free country.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:02 AM

857 posts, read 834,829 times
Even if it’s legal in NJ it would still be illegal Federally so it will probably still be up to the individual company. If you work in the transportation industry you will still be under DOT rules and would be fired for testing positive for marijuana.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:46 AM

382 posts, read 721,873 times
I still think every company can decide for themselves. Home Depot, for example, drug screens all interviewees (and it makes sense in the context of working there because you shouldn't be using a pallet jack, for example, stoned or drunk). Even if it's legal, I can't imagine any employer not having the power to determine this.

I think of legalization not as "I have a right to use this" but rather, if I'm caught using, I have the right to avoid prosecution.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:54 AM

857 posts, read 834,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Josef the Chewable View Post
I still think every company can decide for themselves. Home Depot, for example, drug screens all interviewees (and it makes sense in the context of working there because you shouldn't be using a pallet jack, for example, stoned or drunk). Even if it's legal, I can't imagine any employer not having the power to determine this.

I think of legalization not as "I have a right to use this" but rather, if I'm caught using, I have the right to avoid prosecution.
A private company does not have the right to tell employees what they can do when they are off the clock. Unless that activity is illegal. Marijuana will still be illegal under federal law regardless of what NJ does.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:42 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,022 times
The company can generally do what they want with regard to a drug policy. Marijuana may become legal, but a company can still reject if you if test positive because they have the freedom to set that policy if they wish. That company pilicy is separate from the criminality issue. Even as it is illegal right now, I recently did not have to to a drug test for ANY drugs when starting my new job.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:52 PM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Imagine you own a company and one worker is under the influence of whatever CNS drug, legal or illegal. Now imagine a serious workplace injury involving either the DUI dolt or any other employee as a result of a coworker under the influence.

You may as well hang up your hat as your business will go down the tubes and reputation shot.

Legal do not permit being high while at work or driving. Drive to a park, get high don't think you are going to drive home and be untouchable because pot is now legal.

Same results if it was decriminalized. Drive, work under the influence and your butt ends up in jail.

Legalizing pot in NJ will be the greatest deterent to own a firearm unless the applicant lies.

Old 11-12-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

Legalizing pot in NJ will be the greatest deterent to own a firearm unless the applicant lies.
it is a violation of our rights to deny gun ownership on that basis so there is absolutely nothing wrong with lying (i dont recall if that was a question when applying for a gun).

in fact, the government lies to us constantly so there is absolutely nothing wrong with lying to government. that doesnt mean government wont punish you but that is because they are evil not because you did anything wrong.

people can drink alcohol on a regular basis and still not be drunk at work. just because someone smoked some crack or shot up heroine one night on the weekend doesnt mean they are high at work on monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey