Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 12:34 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Good posts by the OP. I agree +.

We live in NEPA, near Scranton. There is still a lot of farm and woodlands near by. There are LOTS of deer, coyotes, bobcats, (wolves?), turkeys (food attracting predators) and bear in our area. Their numbers are increasing...making us all the more wary driving, walking/jogging, and working in the yard. Most species appear more aggressive/fearless/ignorant of humans, pets, vehicles/traffic.

We manage our garbage carefully, don't BBQ, don't have pets, etc. We have had large bears (some with cubs) in our yard every year since we moved here. We've had them on our back porch looking in the windows

We have also lived in NY and CT in similar settings (and NJ in different ones...not so close to animal habitats but worked near them where the problems are the same). Over the years we had many near misses and a few vehicle hits on animals, notably deer. In half the cases they ran into the side of our car rather than we hit them directly. The populations in the places we lived are very likely higher as well...

We love the animals and living 'in the country'...but fear and fear for the ever increasing familiarity/fearlessness, populations, building/humans, etc. IMO controlled and managed hunting (or other population control schemes) is a must or the situation will become bad for all.

BTW, I don't hunt, nor currently own guns. I plan to buy some.

can you imagine seeing this guy in the woods while hiking?

Pennsylvania man takes down 600-pound bear | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 12:39 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

can you imagine seeing this guy in the woods while hiking?

Pennsylvania man takes down 600-pound bear | Fox News
OMG did you read the comments under that article?

Old 12-06-2017, 03:42 PM

32,939 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Oh my God?????
I've always thought it was a spoof.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
My take is, there is enough blame to go around. While I can't and won't argue with your points lets not forget we are taking more and more open space away from these animals and giving them less room to live their lives as nature intended.There is more inter action now becuase they have no other place to go.Killing them off is not always the answer and no I am not anti gun or hunting.
No one is talking about killing them off! But it has become very necessary to control the herd! Well I understand with total respect what you're saying you can't just leave them alone! We have so very many accidents every year do the deer which drives are insurance rates way up, and believe it or not kills many people! As I suggested before if we have a rough snowy winter that the deer can't get food they will only yield one baby but with the mild Winters we have had in the past say what five years the herd has doubled and tripled in size because they have two to three babies and the same with bears. At one point in Pennsylvania many years ago they had outlawed there hunting because the herd was very sparse and then it became necessary to open up their season again. So in saying that, the only logical and Common Sense thing to do is to thin The Herd. I have known people that have hunted all my life my family where Hunters and I belonged to a hunting club at one time, and I never knew anyone who wanted and didn't use the meat including bear!

Old 12-06-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
OMG did you read the comments under that article?
Know why? I went in to look again and couldn't find any comments.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:48 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
Quote:
Know why? I went in to look again and couldn't find any comments.
Scroll all the way down past the "sponsored stories" there are over 600 comments.

Here's just a sample:

*Killed a magnificent animal all because he can't get laid. Sad.

*Sicko trophy hunters. Stop giving them the publicity they crave.

They actually got "likes" too. Good grief!

Old 12-06-2017, 07:16 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
That entire thing was a hoax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
Thanks for posting this!

IMO:

That video =

She's a "wacked-up" liberal!

I maintain that Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Dear Deer and other wildlife,

This woman will tell you where your habitat should be at and where you can wander or run because she's a nut-case.

"Signed",
You can't make this up.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Scroll all the way down past the "sponsored stories" there are over 600 comments.

Here's just a sample:

*Killed a magnificent animal all because he can't get laid. Sad.

*Sicko trophy hunters. Stop giving them the publicity they crave.

They actually got "likes" too. Good grief!
Wow....yanno, if that bear would show up on their property, kill their dog and eat it in front of them, and they're kinds? Wonder how they'd feel then?

A bear like that has actually killed kids camping.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:36 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times
Quote:
Wow....yanno, if that bear would show up on their property, kill their dog and eat it in front of them, and they're kinds? Wonder how they'd feel then?

A bear like that has actually killed kids camping.
FWIW, a bear 1/4 that size is more than a match for humans and their pets...and don't run either

Old 12-07-2017, 06:59 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
FWIW, a bear 1/4 that size is more than a match for humans and their pets...and don't run either
I wonder if playing dead would disinterest such a Bear like was in a Bugs Bunny cartoon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey