Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 05:08 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,422,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels1978 View Post
I guess he must have finally retired. He was a funny teacher. Did you know that Halsted used to be Newton High School?
Yes, I knew that, I also found a lot of interesting facts about Newton here... History of Newton, New Jersey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 05:29 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I can tell you this: when we lived in Medford, I could have painted a sign outside our house that said "No one is home now, our door is unlocked, and our best stuff is located at locations x, y, and z" and I can assure you, we'd come home and nothing would have been stolen.
I maintain that towns such as these, suburban New Jersey towns that are affluent, are the safest in the entire USA. I'd add towns of Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts into this mix as well. You don't see transients walking the streets either. I took that for granted living in suburban NJ my entire life. Right there is another big difference between NJ, the tiny, wealthy Northeast states in general. This type of individual is essentially absent. It's the exception and not the rule, I am sad to report. For instance, you can go to the very wealthiest sections of a place such as Boulder Colorado, and still see drifters all over the place. The kind that give you the urge to lock your doors every morning before you go to work. It's a built-in, assumed siege mentality. This is a part of living in suburban New Jersey that I miss dearly. The siege mentality you must have there is reserved for the roads. This is preferrable than feeling the same way about your house.
Same is true in Moorestown, very safe community, you have some teenage vandalism and bikes stolen but that' the extent of it. I know what you mean. I was in Charlotte, NC in the early 90s and what a difference from NJ in terms of crime and break-ins.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:51 PM

85 posts, read 227,615 times
Thanks Alex, can't wait to read it. I am always reading anything I can find on Newton and Sussex County areas. There was a great book I picked up in the bookshelf about Newton. I will have to send you the name when I find it again. lol

Old 08-05-2008, 07:54 PM

217 posts, read 1,147,348 times
Well to me, i think the safe towns are the boring towns... i mean dont get me wrong you can like what you like, and im not saying living in a ghetto is fun cause ITS NOT... ii just like the hustle and bustle cities and where theres a lot to do but thanks for letting me know

Old 08-06-2008, 05:32 PM

7 posts, read 35,791 times
Newton is a beautiful town but latley I have seen an influx of people I would rather not see here. It is not looking pretty.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:21 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaszabita View Post
Newton is a beautiful town but latley I have seen an influx of people I would rather not see here. It is not looking pretty.
First Hackettstown now Newton..damn illegals ... Alex can we see your papers?

Old 08-07-2008, 05:54 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,422,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
First Hackettstown now Newton..damn illegals ... Alex can we see your papers?

::::in thick broken english accent::: sure officer Wiley, here are my papers
Click image for larger version

Name:	FAKE_ID.jpg
Views:	2086
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	24937

Old 08-31-2008, 06:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,825 times
I WAS RAISED BY MY DAD IN THE AIR FORCE, LIVED IN 36 STATES AND SIX COUNTRIES. HOW DID I WIND UP IN SUSSEX CTY NJ??? LONG STORY BUT HERE I AM. I BOUGHT LAND IN GREEN TOWNSHIP 7 MILES OUTSIDE OF NEWTON, BUILT A 12 ROOM HOUSE. I CANNT SEE ANY OF MY NEIGHBORS EVEN IN THE WINTER. WHEN I BUILT WE PAID 1500 A YEAR IN TAXES FOR 28 ACRES,12 RM HOUSE,BARN,IN GROUND POOL. WE MOVED UP FROM ESSEX FELLS, 22 RM HOUSE AND SO CLOSE TO THE NEIGHBOR YOU COULD SMELL HIS ARM PITS FROM YOUR PORCH, PAID 6500 A YR TAXES,1972. NOW I AM PAYING 15500 ON THE 5 ACRES AND HOUSE. THE TAXES ARE KILLING ME, BUT AT LEAST I AM FEEL SAFE. LIKE ALEX WE HAVE NEVER LOCKED OUT DOORS, WE GO ON VACATION FOR A MONTH OR MORE AND LEAVE IT OPEN. LOCKS SOMETIMES INVITE TROUBLE, THEY WORK LIKE MAGNETS AND DRY THE LOW LIFES. UNFORTUNETLEY SINCE RT80 MAKES IT SO EASY FOR THE SCUM FROM NEWARK ECT. TO GET IN AND OUT SOMETHINGS HAVE CHANGED IN NEWTON. THERE HAS BEEN AN INCREASE OF MINORTY FROM NEWARK AND PLACES LIKE THAT AND THEY HAVE BROUGHT WITH THEM THE HABITS AND ATTITUDES,BUT THANK GOD WE HAVE A GREAT POLICE FORCE IN NEWTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS (GREEN HAS THE STATE POLICE, GREAT ALSO). THEY ARE SHOWING THESE PEOPLE WE ARE NOT A BUNCH OF HICKS AND WE WONT LET THEM TAKE US OVER. THIS SCUM LIVES BY THE CREED DON'T S----- IN THEIR OWN BACK YARDS, WELL BABY THEY DON'T GET AWAY WITH IT IN NEWTON OR Any OF THE SURROUNDING AREAS. NOW SUSSEX, FRANKLIN, WANTAGE OVER ON THE RT 23 SIDE OF SUSSEX CTY ISN'T SO GREAT. SOME FOLKS AROUND HERE CALL IN THE NEWARK OF SUSSEX CTY.
I'VE BEEN LOOKING AT AREAS TO MOVE TO (ONLY BECAUSE OF THE TAXES). I'VE CHECKED OUT FLA,TN,AND NC. AND CAN NOT FIND WHAT I HAVE HERE. IF ONLY IT WEREN'T SO EXPENSIVE. BUT FOR NOW HERE I AM AND HERE I'LL STAY.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:31 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by air force brat View Post
I WAS RAISED BY MY DAD IN THE AIR FORCE, LIVED IN 36 STATES AND SIX COUNTRIES. HOW DID I WIND UP IN SUSSEX CTY NJ??? LONG STORY BUT HERE I AM. I BOUGHT LAND IN GREEN TOWNSHIP 7 MILES OUTSIDE OF NEWTON, BUILT A 12 ROOM HOUSE. I CANNT SEE ANY OF MY NEIGHBORS EVEN IN THE WINTER. WHEN I BUILT WE PAID 1500 A YEAR IN TAXES FOR 28 ACRES,12 RM HOUSE,BARN,IN GROUND POOL. WE MOVED UP FROM ESSEX FELLS, 22 RM HOUSE AND SO CLOSE TO THE NEIGHBOR YOU COULD SMELL HIS ARM PITS FROM YOUR PORCH, PAID 6500 A YR TAXES,1972. NOW I AM PAYING 15500 ON THE 5 ACRES AND HOUSE. THE TAXES ARE KILLING ME, BUT AT LEAST I AM FEEL SAFE. LIKE ALEX WE HAVE NEVER LOCKED OUT DOORS, WE GO ON VACATION FOR A MONTH OR MORE AND LEAVE IT OPEN. LOCKS SOMETIMES INVITE TROUBLE, THEY WORK LIKE MAGNETS AND DRY THE LOW LIFES. UNFORTUNETLEY SINCE RT80 MAKES IT SO EASY FOR THE SCUM FROM NEWARK ECT. TO GET IN AND OUT SOMETHINGS HAVE CHANGED IN NEWTON. THERE HAS BEEN AN INCREASE OF MINORTY FROM NEWARK AND PLACES LIKE THAT AND THEY HAVE BROUGHT WITH THEM THE HABITS AND ATTITUDES,BUT THANK GOD WE HAVE A GREAT POLICE FORCE IN NEWTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS (GREEN HAS THE STATE POLICE, GREAT ALSO). THEY ARE SHOWING THESE PEOPLE WE ARE NOT A BUNCH OF HICKS AND WE WONT LET THEM TAKE US OVER. THIS SCUM LIVES BY THE CREED DON'T S----- IN THEIR OWN BACK YARDS, WELL BABY THEY DON'T GET AWAY WITH IT IN NEWTON OR Any OF THE SURROUNDING AREAS. NOW SUSSEX, FRANKLIN, WANTAGE OVER ON THE RT 23 SIDE OF SUSSEX CTY ISN'T SO GREAT. SOME FOLKS AROUND HERE CALL IN THE NEWARK OF SUSSEX CTY.
I'VE BEEN LOOKING AT AREAS TO MOVE TO (ONLY BECAUSE OF THE TAXES). I'VE CHECKED OUT FLA,TN,AND NC. AND CAN NOT FIND WHAT I HAVE HERE. IF ONLY IT WEREN'T SO EXPENSIVE. BUT FOR NOW HERE I AM AND HERE I'LL STAY.
Hey Neighbor.... sell and move next door in Frelinghuysen. The taxes are alot better than Green. I do love Green though..nice area and one of the nicest townships in Sussex. Fredon would be my first choice then Green.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 24,156 times
When did Shelby"s close down ? Also are there any Shelby"s left?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey