Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 08:24 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,255,242 times

Advertisements

Plenty of people tutor or give piano lessons out of their home without anyone being creeped out. From my experience, the problems start when neighbors get annoyed by idling and parked cars clogging up the street.
You bring up an interesting concern about insurance. May be worth going to your local sbdc to get some guidelines or attend a seminar on starting a business - lots of free help out there!
Your idea sounds neat and congrats on thinking about starting a new venture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 08:50 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
West Orange is inconsistent about this. "Home Occupation" is listed as a "permitted accessory use" for residential zones, but the text of the ordinance appears to make it conditional, in that approval is required (as for a conditional use). Presumably the more restrictive rule controls, though not getting caught is probably easier than approval.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:35 PM

532 posts, read 1,465,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Seriously? Are you unaware of home offices in general? There's a whole section of tax code that comes with operating a business out of your house:
https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...fice-deduction

I run a small business out of my house doing photography and lighting for theatres. All the billing, processing, image storage, design, drafting, reading has to be done someplace and it doesn't make sense to rent an office somewhere to do all these things when I can do them at home from a laptop and all the meetings are going to be in the theatres. It's not a commercial business, as I don't have products I'm selling or a cash register, or customers coming through my door, but I'm certainly operating a business out of my home.

I should have been more specific...
Based on the OP original post the business she is contemplating opening would have
customers coming into her residence.That was the reason for the reply I made.

Obviously if you are operating a business out of your home and you do not have any customers most would be permitted.

What business that comes to mind that would not be permitted which does not have customers coming to the residence would be certain types of manufacturing.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:21 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachouse View Post
Based on the OP original post the business she is contemplating opening would have
customers coming into her residence.That was the reason for the reply I made.

Obviously if you are operating a business out of your home and you do not have any customers most would be permitted.

What business that comes to mind that would not be permitted which does not have customers coming to the residence would be certain types of manufacturing.
Yeah, I've had a home 'office' for years. I alter wedding dresses, and while the pinning and fittings were done in the store, all the work was done in my sewing studio. My concern was in having people come to my home. The city clerk returned my call, but I was out. I'll try calling again today, but in the meantime I'm considering teaching by way of house calls - like a piano teacher or a tutor.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:44 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachouse View Post
Got it, thanks for clarifying.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:03 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Yeah, I've had a home 'office' for years. I alter wedding dresses, and while the pinning and fittings were done in the store, all the work was done in my sewing studio. My concern was in having people come to my home. The city clerk returned my call, but I was out. I'll try calling again today, but in the meantime I'm considering teaching by way of house calls - like a piano teacher or a tutor.
It's a 'no'. I figured as much, but the old cliché is a good one. 'It never hurts to ask.'

Old 12-19-2017, 11:19 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
It's a 'no'. I figured as much, but the old cliché is a good one. 'It never hurts to ask.'
That's fine. You can do it by travelling to their homes. Nice to get out and about anyway. That's what I like about my business. Some driving about, but no commuting.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:51 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Try marketing it to the local community college as adult education. Before I moved, I looked into teaching a genealogy class. They were very interested but I left the state 2 months later.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:46 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Plenty of people tutor or give piano lessons out of their home without anyone being creeped out. From my experience, the problems start when neighbors get annoyed by idling and parked cars clogging up the street.
You bring up an interesting concern about insurance. May be worth going to your local sbdc to get some guidelines or attend a seminar on starting a business - lots of free help out there!
Your idea sounds neat and congrats on thinking about starting a new venture.
Also, our Bergen county town has at lest two small home based day cares run out of their homes. In the residential areas. We visited both of them and both said that they had all the proper permits and were regularly inspected. Both day cares even include lunch, one included breakfast. They can go up to I think five kinds full time and a few more part time. I hope they have proper insurance. So maybe these rules vary by town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey