Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 04:54 PM

240 posts, read 947,955 times

Advertisements

My brother was audited after going to H&R Block. They found many mistakes made by H&R. They hire and train people just for tax season from what I understand. I think that the people who designed turbo tax have more knowledge than that. I say do it yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 06:39 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
I go to my accountant and have for 25 years and I wouldn't send them stuff in the mail and wait for a return. I sit down for about 1 hour to 1 hr 1/2 with him. I bring any and all questions that I have that I'm been looking for answers for pretty much the whole year. Your best bet is an accountant that specializes JUST in tax returns. If I was sending papers out to one I would agree with most posters to just do it yourself. Lets face it all about deductions and you want to know each and everyone that's possible for you to utilize. You have to claim a couple i'll use. Phone expenses for a business, charity work(miles driven to your charity), church, dry cleaning,suits,uniforms,washing and drying. Make sure you donate to charities as your old clothing,furniture,bikes,toys,boots,shoes,coats. Stationary, insurance on your cars,mileage,tolls and so on. These are only a few that I listed. My federal return is 80 pages long, yes 80 pages. I would never ever go to a fly by night place like an H@R Block as they have part timers who barely know the complex tax code. And yes my accountant will represent me if I was audited. I laugh when I see some tax returns of 5 or 6 pages. Come on guys don't give your hard earned money away if you don't have to.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:09 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneone10 View Post
I am thinking of doing my own taxes using TurboTax Deluxe. Is this a good idea? About me:

Single, recent homeowner (purchased Dec '07), switched jobs last year, & work in NY so must recoop NY State taxes.

So what is the verdict? Do it.....or not?

If you currently do yours....I WANT TO HEAR ALL ABOUT IT
I have used Turbo Tax Deluxe for the past few years and haven't been audited yet I seem to be getting larger refunds than with H&R Block for a fraction of the cost. Great program, easy to use, easy to eFile. Would not consider using an accountant, even though my brother is a CPA.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:42 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,756,664 times
When I was 18 and single I tele-filed everything. It was simple I had no deductions other than the standard.

Things are completely different now. The last 2-3 years we have been using Turbo Tax. When a tax accountant friend of ours decided he was going to start doing personal returns on the side (He has worked for E&Y, Lehman Bros, Goldman Sachs, and is now into Hedge Funds) we figured he has to know what hes doing and thought we would have him do ours. He not only found us some extra $$ that Turbo Tax did not even ask about, he is also helping us plan out some of our investments so it doesnt hurt as much as it did this year. After our experience with him I will never go aywhere else again. He now has a customer for life.

Jersey Man, ours was only 15 pages but I completely agree with you. ALWAYS good to have a tax accountant and an attorney in your breast pocket!

Old 03-24-2008, 09:27 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,651 times
I have a great CPA. She takes her time and is great with advice. I cannot see using a computer or a program to do what a person with experience can do, and do it better.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:36 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
If you go to TaxAct.com you can do your taxes for free. That program also asks the kinds of questions Turbo Tax does. You can get an "upgraded" version of TaxAct for $10, I think. I've used for for two years. Also, NJ has a free State filing at their website: www.state.nj/treasury/taxation (http://www.state.nj/treasury/taxation - broken link).
This is what I used this year. It cost me $22 to be able to file both state and federal electronically. Had my refunds within 2 weeks.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:44 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,967,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
I have a great CPA. She takes her time and is great with advice. I cannot see using a computer or a program to do what a person with experience can do, and do it better.
There are many so called tax preparers out there and there are no regulations regarding who can prepare tax returns for others so be wary of fly by night tax preparers, also be wary of the block heads or any other mass tax preparers.

Using a good CPA is really the best way to go, a good one will maximize your deductions, minimize any errors and help with future plans. Unless you have a very basic financial situation that only requires a simple return I would recommend using a CPA.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:36 PM

35 posts, read 228,840 times
As a CPA (not a full-time tax accountant)...I think you could do your own taxes...I do mine now, but I also have an tax accountant look at it every few years to make sure I am not way off. It's best if you have a good relationship with a personal tax accountant/lawyer to perform a quality review from time to time. I never used Turbo Tax but it is highly recommended at my firm and I plan to use it this year. By the way, the IRS does not select who gets audited based on who completed the forms...it is really based around the "hot topics/deductions etc" for that tax year. So yes, if you are claiming alot of deductions, that will increase your chances of being audited.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:42 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,634,376 times
I do my own taxes using TurboTax ... it's not perfect, but the software is pretty good. I have never had any problems with it.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,026 times
Default Accountant?

Hi

I just moved to NJ last year and am still trying to find service professionals that I can rely on. I am currently looking for a good accountant that does not charge an arm and a leg. I know that a few of you mentioned that you really like your tax accountants, and I was wondering if you would be able to give me some suggestions. I live in northern Atlantic County, but anyone in the southern NJ area or Hudson County area would be feasible. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey