Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 09:56 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
No, but same parent company.

It’s a Range Rover Supercharged. It’s better for our ski trips to Vermont.
That'll do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 01:19 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,961 times
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
If that is your true concern? You should be addressing the issue with schools & parents.

Your last sentence is ridiculous.

You have no idea if someone's first language is English or otherwise.
Yes, that is my true concern. There are posts on CD that are written with English words, but are completely unintelligible. I have never criticized the English of obviously foreign born nationals, I give them a pass even though there are people that use English as a second language that are quite well written.

I'm talking about native born English speakers and writers. It's not about the school system, it's about personal pride or lack there of.

You can be an apologist for poor grammar if you want to, but I'm not buying that excuse.

Now that we may become a Sanctuary state all the new illegals will have access to our mostly excellent public school system, and will no doubt also get drivers licenses, and be eligible for grants and loans for higher education, so I'm expecting their grammar to improve in the long run.

Fortunately for me, I'll be leaving the state in 3 years to go to retirement nirvana, so I won't get to pay the full freight for the coming miracle.

Your last sentence is ridiculous. I couldn't care less what their first language is. If they are posting in an English language forum the expectation is that they can write and understand English, but you know that wasn't really the issue, it's lazy Americans that don't care that is the problem.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:38 PM

275 posts, read 214,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Yes, that is my true concern. There are posts on CD that are written with English words, but are completely unintelligible. I have never criticized the English of obviously foreign born nationals, I give them a pass even though there are people that use English as a second language that are quite well written.

I'm talking about native born English speakers and writers. It's not about the school system, it's about personal pride or lack there of.

You can be an apologist for poor grammar if you want to, but I'm not buying that excuse.

Now that we may become a Sanctuary state all the new illegals will have access to our mostly excellent public school system, and will no doubt also get drivers licenses, and be eligible for grants and loans for higher education, so I'm expecting their grammar to improve in the long run.

Fortunately for me, I'll be leaving the state in 3 years to go to retirement nirvana, so I won't get to pay the full freight for the coming miracle.

Your last sentence is ridiculous. I couldn't care less what their first language is. If they are posting in an English language forum the expectation is that they can write and understand English, but you know that wasn't really the issue, it's lazy Americans that don't care that is the problem.
When I arrived in New York many years ago, and like many foreigners learning the language, I used to misspell or incorrectly pronounce certain words....if not most of them. But what pissed me off greatly was that most natives never took the time or courtesy to correct me on the spot when I made one. Therefore, I kept repeating these same mistakes for many years. Then I met my current wife and she taught me a great deal of the language and in particular phonetics. Now after many years, I realized that this tendency of not correcting me was because they were trying to be politically correct.....which is non sense. I rather have people to correct me than being nice to me; just so that you don't feel that I will call you a racist.

Dovetailing my previous paragraph with the Sanctuary State issue, this is a big mistake in my opinion. To foster illegal immigration is to destroy the local culture. A great number of Hispanics that cross the border illegally have low to no education at all. Now, we can all agree or disagree on the humanitarian side of this conversation until the cows come home. However, on the social and cultural impact that illegal immigrants bring to our society; I have to be honest but here is where most Liberals....natives and non natives make a terrible mistake. There is something called "La cultura del vivo" or the culture of the smartest.....which in our own language has negative connotations. This culture is the one I tried to escape and now the Liberal Americans are trying to cultivate. The one where if a person sees you dropping your wallet, he or she will slowly walk towards it without letting you know to pick it up. The one where if the UPS guy drops a box; then he or she will walk around the block to get back to it and pick up that box. The one where if you are doing a very long waiting line and turn around a bit; then she or he will get in the line looking lost with the hopes that you don't say anything. The one that not paying your taxes translates to getting one over and being smart, thus gets celebrated by family members and friends. The one where if she or he sees you leaving the doors of your car or home open; then you'll find a few missing items when you get back. Why? Simple! Things are so hard to get or buy in our countries of origin that this is the kind of behavior that people have by default sorted to. Needless to say, it has become part of our culture from a generational practice if you will. The ones that immigrate legally, for the most part have degrees or trades; therefore, they try to live under different standards.....with that said, you will find the exceptions on both sides.

Unfortunately, I have seen many Americans picking up on these traits as of late..........which is a total shame.

Last edited by EdGuitar; 01-22-2018 at 02:48 PM..

Old 01-22-2018, 04:30 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,197,456 times
On NJ becoming a Sanctuary State:

"And many of you libs/dems/closet dem repubs tell me over and over and over again,
Ah, you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction."

"Ah, you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction."

"Ah, you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction."

^^^The Bolded above, in many ways imo.^^^

American Children — 2nd Class Citizens To Illegals

Last edited by atgss; 01-22-2018 at 04:55 PM..

Old 01-22-2018, 04:50 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Murph promised to increase taxes 1.4 BILLION during his campaign. The voters of NJ elected him with that knowledge. If they need to raise taxes to take care of illegals, thats ok by me. I don't live there anymore .. nor would I. But I believe in self rule.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:56 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,197,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Murph promised to increase taxes 1.4 BILLION during his campaign. The voters of NJ elected him with that knowledge. If they need to raise taxes to take care of illegals, thats ok by me. I don't live there anymore .. nor would I. But I believe in self rule.
I guess that they'll be many that'll do what you did.

It's sad what is to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey